Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waiting for test results

• 10-08-2010 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I was wondering how to stop myself going out of my mind with worry. I have been really run down recently and have had recurring mouth ulcers, eye infections and skin problems. I went to the doctor today and she ordered a group of tests, including HIV! I was really scared as surely she thinks she could be a chance I have it? I'm 24, female and have no risky behaviour at all. I got tested for HIV during a routine STI check in January, came back negative, and the BF was negative as well. But my mind has been racing with ways I might have somehow got it like touching traces of blood or something, or cleaning communal showers or whatever. I have to wait over a week for the results and I'm so nervous now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Hey everyone,

I was wondering how to stop myself going out of my mind with worry. I have been really run down recently and have had recurring mouth ulcers, eye infections and skin problems. I went to the doctor today and she ordered a group of tests, including HIV! I was really scared as surely she thinks she could be a chance I have it? I'm 24, female and have no risky behaviour at all. I got tested for HIV during a routine STI check in January, came back negative, and the BF was negative as well. But my mind has been racing with ways I might have somehow got it like touching traces of blood or something, or cleaning communal showers or whatever. I have to wait over a week for the results and I'm so nervous now.

Irrational worry to be honest OP.

Some of the symptoms you describe could be related to advance HIV/AIDS. Definitely not a recent infection. Your January tests prove that you do not HIV. It's just not a concern.

YOu obviously presented with a multitude of general symptoms and the Doctor decided to order various tests for conditions/diseases/infections that could have symptoms similar to those that you are experiencing. HIV just so happened to be one of those and the test was ran as part of "ruling out" process. IT could be a number of things including just being simply run down.

Whatever it is... it is definitely not HIV. So don't give that one another thought - it is a very irrational conclusion to jump to, but unfortunately all too normal where fear of HIV is concerned.

EDIT: HIV cannot be transmitted via "cleaning communal showers". It would not spread via "touching" drops of blood either unless you are dealing with large amounts, you not wearing protected gloves, the blood being recent (i.e. in the last hour or so) etc... The risk is so small. It's just not realistically possible given the variables that would have to line up for it to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Ah, please don't worry. The Doctor is just using clinical process of elimination. It sounds like he/she is looking at immune problems in general so that will be only one of the tests amongst others.

The Doctor is being methodical. You can not get HIV/AIDS from cleaning showers etc.

Please try not to worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Don't worry OP, HIV is a big scare word, but chances are you are negative. In fact I read somewhere that even if it comes back positive and you are white, is more likely that the test is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I work in a GP's office and to be honest what you have had done is standard. Basically the surgery is doing all the test available just for the sake of it rather than thinking that you have something. There really is nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

kjl wrote: »
    Don't worry OP, HIV is a big scare word, but chances are you are negative.
    In fact I read somewhere that even if it comes back positive and you are white, is more likely that the test is wrong

I'm sorry, that is complete nonsense.
    If you could provide a link to a medical journal on the subject I would appreciate it.

To the OP, don't worry too much about it.
    I remember last year I was getting sores at the side of my mouth and I was very worried.
    Couldn't get rid of these sores, no matter what I did.
    Was quite worried about what they could be from.
    They eventually healed up.
    Turned out they were from me salivating while sleeping.

Don't just just to the worst possible conclusion because a doctor took some tests.
    He is basically just doing different tests so that he can find out exactly what it is,
    so he has an answer for you when you come back.

Keep your chin up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Don't worry OP, HIV is a big scare word, but chances are you are negative. In fact I read somewhere that even if it comes back positive and you are white, is more likely that the test is wrong.

What nonsense....do you think white people don't get HIV?

Op, a battery of tests is often done when symptoms point to any number of conditions...your gp is just doing a routine test. Just like the battery of tests done with allergies...autoimmune conditions can share many symptoms. As your previous test was negative, I would not worry. Are you stressed about something? Changed diet? Look to all areas of your life as I know stress makes me feel exhausted, gives me pimples, affects my sleep, etc...Nothing my gp does can really help with this and I try to give myself a boost with multi-vitamins and green leafy vegetables to boost my immune system.

As an aside..a close family member is HIV+ve. It is no bother to me or anyone that knows. It is a real pity that the stigmatisation of those living with this condition still persists, but I hope attitudes are changing. There are WORSE conditions out there. Lupus, Muscular dystrophy, spina bifida, take your pick........HIV is manageable and I think it the sexual transmission bit that scandalises most people. It is now thank god a manageable thing and does not mean the end of the world despite the heavy medication needed.

This is not to say that you should take an HIV test lightly OP, I hope all is well with you in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

I wouldn't worry too much. I had similar symptoms earlier this year had a heap of tests done and turned out I had an serious iron deficiency. I had thought it was something completely different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Would you care to link to this?

For such a test to come back postive, they need to have found something. I suspect a false negative is much more likely.

While there are different strains of HIV, they can infect anyone, I don't think they are race-specific. That said, many Europeans seem to have certain strains while many sub-Saharan Africans have other, different ones that require different medication for treatment. Its a bit like Europeans tend to get colds and Africans tend to get malaria - its down to what someone is exposed to.

Advertisement