Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maxwell's - open again

Options
  • 10-08-2010 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

just notice that what used to be (Maxwell McNamara's) is now open again and it is called Maxwell's. Does anyone know if it is the same people and restaurant back again - it used to be good, if a little old fashioned - its very modern looking now (from walking by)

What is it with restaurants and take-away's popping up all over the place - they seem to be new ones every single day in every corner of Galway and the amount of junk mail with menu's that come in the door, with new take-away's popping up all the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Opened last week
    Looked overpriced judging by the menu, though I havent tried the food

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's gold in them there reshturants.

It's very overpriced! But seems to be pretty damned busy too. It's one thing that really annoys me about the city is the restaurants opening up and charging ridiculous prices for their food. Its why I'm glad for the likes of Homeplate, La Salsa and the like where they're charging reltatively decent prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 josie jott

I'd imagine it's new ownersand new restaurant but they just kept the name. Wasn't doing great before they closed but seems to be getting alot of business since it's opened.

Anyone know what the food is like??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Doesn't matter to me what the foods like if the Price is not right I won't be "Comin on down".

Walking past Lohans in Salthill last week €18.95 for a Lamb Dinner, I don't care how nice it might be I ain't going near that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Steamer

Where is it? Can't think....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

between the Cellar and Fallers Jewellers on the corner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Admittedly it's been a while since I ate in McNamaras but I'd have to say calling the food "good" a bit of a stretch, it was OK but no better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

Its very overpriced and the food isnt that good for what you are paying, asked for cheese with my burger and was told by what appeared to be the owner that they only stick to the menu and cheese wasnt a part of that. On the upside the staff were friendly and it was quite comfortable. Unless prices come down I dont think I'll be eating there again though

johngalway wrote: »
    Admittedly it's been a while since I ate in McNamaras but I'd have to say calling the food "good" a bit of a stretch, it was OK but no better than that.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Did anyone from Galway ever eat in the old place?? I've asked loads of friends and no one was ever in there in their lives! Seems to be a place for out of towner's.

I'm from Galway and ate there a few times. It was average at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

I ate in the old place and can safely say it was the greatest dining experience of my life. I thank God i was fortunate enough to have eaten there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Ate in the old place loads as a kid. There was a charm to the place, with individual 'bunks' and weird lighting. It almost felt like going back in time. I loved the place for the sentimental value it held with me.

Can't say i'm gone on the new place, too open and modern

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Ate in the old place loads as a kid. There was a charm to the place, with individual 'bunks' and weird lighting. It almost felt like going back in time. I loved the place for the sentimental value it held with me.
    Holds a lot of memories for me too, but in hindsight, the food was on the less-desirable side of average and the service was quite slow, for a place that was in the city centre. Liked looking at the few bits and bobs they had decorated the place with, but that novelty wears off after two minutes.

I hadn't been in it for years when it closed down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

maybe I should rephrase that - the BREAKFASTS were good - thats usually what I had in there - it was a bit of an institution tho, and had been there for years - from the time when you were brought in for a sticky bun and a fizzy drink as a child - remember the tier tray with the sticky buns, there would be about 10 on there but you were only ever allowed one. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I loved Maxwell's. Would also go when I was in Galway visiting. Hasn't been open since I moved here but I'll definately be going to check it out.

Advertisement