Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Maths & Accountancy

• 10-08-2010 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I am in the process of being made redundant and am reviewing my options. One is to give grinds in Accountancy & Maths. However, it is 26 years since I did my Leaving Cert so I certainly wouldn't be au fait with the syllabi for these subjects. Can anyone suggest what I should do? Should I go back and sit these subjects again or just buy the books and muddle through? If I do go back to sit the exams, where can I do the course? - I leave in Co Meath. Any other suggestions gratefully accepted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TRAPASARMY

What are you qualified as?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

It depends on what your previous job was.. if you were using maths and accountancy techniques then I would advise you to buy the books, similarily if you got good grades in these 2 subjects for your L.C you should be ok. Otherwise you should go back and resit, it wouldn't be fair on students paying you if you didn't completely know what you were at. But what about buying the books first to see if you understand it all? you'll need them if you resit anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SuperSpider

Thanks Ditzie. I am a qualified accountant and was working for a small company so really just used the basic daily and monthly accounting procedures. Good idea to buy the books anyway and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Hi
    The accounting would be grand for you as you are an accountant, very little theory
    The main book used is "accounting for senior cycle" Its a huge book but thats cause there are hundreads of questions in it!
    I would also recommend you try and get some notes from grind school etc (institute of education) as then you would have a better outline as to what is now required.
    Also www.examinations.ie has all the syllbus's on it

Maths you should be ok the course for ordinary level is a bit like the Junior cert, However for this years new 5th year there is a new HL and OL course called project maths (its easier) and calculus has been removed. Considering that maths was way harder when you were doing it you will be grand. The course for this years 6th years is the same as it was 10 years ago. :(
    We use Text and Texts 3/4/5 for HL and OL in my school but i also use Discovering maths which is good.

Oh and would recommend that you download the exam papers from the exam archives section of www.examinations.ie
    There would be no point in buying them cause this way you can print the pages as you require them.

Have fun giving grinds! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SuperSpider

Thanks a mill for all the info Patriciamc93. Plenty to work on there.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Thanks a mill for all the info Patriciamc93. Plenty to work on there.;)

BTW sorry to hear about your job

I am in the process of being made redundant and am reviewing my options. One is to give grinds in Accountancy & Maths. However, it is 26 years since I did my Leaving Cert so I certainly wouldn't be au fait with the syllabi for these subjects. Can anyone suggest what I should do? Should I go back and sit these subjects again or just buy the books and muddle through? If I do go back to sit the exams, where can I do the course? - I leave in Co Meath. Any other suggestions gratefully accepted.

I was quite capable of giving grinds in maths a year after doing the LC myself so somebody qualified should certainly be grand.

Advertisement