Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Network Storage

Options
  • 10-08-2010 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Hope you can help. I have NTL Broadband and a DLink Wireless router set-up in a small office there is 3 laptops and one macbook that access the internet using this connection very rarely at the same time as we tend to be on site and out of the office.

My Dilemma we are all using usb keys and portable hard drives to back up our work and constantly emailing files to each other. I dont want to go down the road of installing a server due to finances. I was thinking of buying a 2TB external Hard drive and connecting it to the router hopefully this would provide a wireless storage that we can access if connected to the network.

would you guys have any suggestions/recommendations of what to do or what to buy??

any help greatly appreciated
    thanks
    boom boom

ps sorry for long winded post and if it is not in the right section please feel free to move

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What model is the dlink?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

A network external drive or a NAS box would suit your needs.

A NAS box is a network device you supply your own hard drives for.
    Some do raid so you do mirroring to protect against drive failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AL_otto_pain

I would recommend D-Link DNS-313 enclosure available on eBay for less than €50.

It will work within your network and can be set up as FTP also so you can set user level access from offsite.

It works with any 3.5 inch interal SATA harddrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

Thanks for the suggestions lads

Dub 45 i will check the model tonight and come back to you thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

OP if you buy a consumer level device you will have all sorts of problems with it as they are just not set up for multiple users and constant I/O. Buy a cheap dell/hp tower server and fill it with some kind of RAID setup to ensure integrity of your data. If you do this cheap you will end up doing it twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

I would recommend D-Link DNS-313 enclosure available on eBay for less than €50.

It will work within your network and can be set up as FTP also so you can set user level access from offsite.

It works with any 3.5 inch interal SATA harddrive.

forgive me but a complete noob when it comes to this sort of stuff

But i buy this and then an buy a 2 tb 3.5 inch SATA drive to insert into it??

am i right?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AL_otto_pain

Hi BoomBoom,
    sorry I haven't been online in few days.

Yes the 3.5 inch SATA is just inserted into the enclosure , no tools required.

I have just checked the packageing of mine and its says upto 1TB.
    I got it last year and the box looks fairly old so it may support the 2TB drive now.
    Here is something simalar that deffinitly supports 2TB.
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/3-5-NAS-Ethernet-Network-LAN-RJ45-SATA-Caddy-Enclosure-/280529979903?pt=UK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosures_RL

Advertisement