Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student - fee information

Options
  • 10-08-2010 3:19pm

As a mature student who hasn't availed of free fee's before, I'm just wondering how these are handled? Do I need to fill out any paper work etc, or will they just kick in automatically?
    I'm talking about the proper fee's here not the registration fee's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

if its your first time to enter a higher education course you won't be liable for the full fees. apply to your local council for a higher education grant. it doesn't matter if your a mature student, you'll be assessed the same as a school leaver. the only difference is that mature students get the non adjacent rate if approved. you apply as a dependent mature student if your living at home or as an independent mature student if you live independently.
    if approved you wont have to pay the registration fee
    you get a maintenance grant
    and you won't have to pay any of the full fees.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm pretty sure I'm not entitled to anything in my situation as a dependant mature student. Do I still have to apply in order for my fee's to be paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Afaik it's automatic, as Bobby^ said, you're treated like a school leaver in that respect, but you could check with the fees/treasury office of the uni you're applying for. They should be able to tell you immediately. Iirc, you just get your giro thing, and it's not got the fees on, or it should say exempt from fees, but please double check with someone in an office!

if you don't qualify for a higher education grant you'll have to pay the 1500 registration fee and a student services fee which could be 70 to 160 depending on what college your going to. you'll have to pay this in september when registering. but i have heard of some colleges allowing students a few weeks to pay this. i'd highly recommend applying for the grant, or at least find out for definite if your eligible or not. you will get free fees without applying for the higher education grant. everyone who is not entitled to the grant gets free fees if its their first time entering a higher education course.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Bobby42 wrote: »
    if you don't qualify for a higher education grant you'll have to pay the 1500 registration fee and a student services fee which could be 70 to 160 depending on what college your going to. you'll have to pay this in september when registering. but i have heard of some colleges allowing students a few weeks to pay this. i'd highly recommend applying for the grant, or at least find out for definite if your eligible or not. you will get free fees without applying for the higher education grant. everyone who is not entitled to the grant gets free fees if its their first time entering a higher education course.

yeh, def consider apllying for the grant. I'm not eligible, but i do know some dependent maturies who are, if you're dependent on parents or spouse, i.e. living with them! then you'll need their p45 or p21s etc. Obviously worth it if you could be eligible. And as bobby said you can get partial i think. I'm no expert tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

if its your first time to enter a higher education course you won't be liable for the full fees. apply to your local council for a higher education grant. it doesn't matter if your a mature student, you'll be assessed the same as a school leaver. the only difference is that mature students get the non adjacent rate if approved. you apply as a dependent mature student if your living at home or as an independent mature student if you live independently.
    if approved you wont have to pay the registration fee
    you get a maintenance grant
    and you won't have to pay any of the full fees.

There are no grants available this yr?? I am (hoping) to get BTEA and was told the grants are finished..for this yr anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭browne111

There are no grants available this yr?? I am (hoping) to get BTEA and was told the grants are finished..for this yr anyway
    Are u sure? i think you can get either the btea or a maintenance grant, just not both?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

if u have been out of work for 9 months..you can get the bteanot the grant..but the btea is much better anyway as this is approx the same as the dole..

there are grants available this year, the deadline is august 31st. you may be allowed to get both the higher education grant and BTEA. one of the questions on the application is about other forms of financial assistance so on it you can tell them you've applied for BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

there are grants available this year, the deadline is august 31st. you may be allowed to get both the higher education grant and BTEA. one of the questions on the application is about other forms of financial assistance so on it you can tell them you've applied for BTEA.

No - you can get the BTEA or the Grant but not both

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Just to clarify,

If you are getting btea you may be eligible to get the reg fees paid through the local authority grant but you won't get anything else.

You can apply and if you are under the threshold the council will pay your reg fee, most likely you will pay it to the college in Sept, then the council pay the college, then you will be refunded by the college.

If you are on btea no local authority grant money will be given to you but will be past directly to the college for reg fees.

Advertisement