Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stevie G - Joe Cole is better than Messi

• 10-08-2010 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Good to see Gerrard still has a sense of humour:

Steven Gerrard claims Joe Cole is as good as - if not better than - Lionel Messi.

The Liverpool skipper was seen as a key figure in persuading Cole to move to Anfield on a free transfer from Chelsea this summer.

And Gerrard seems to have quite a high opinion of his new teammate.

Speaking to Match of the Day magazine, Gerrard said: "Messi can do some amazing things, but anything he can do Joe can do as well, if not better.

"He used to shock us in training by doing footy tricks with a golf ball that most players can't even do with a football.

"I really fancy Joe for the [player of the year] award this season."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Messi can do some amazing things, but anything he can do Joe can do as well, if not better.

"I really fancy Joe for the [player of the year] award this season.

That's a bit mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

lol

210_say_what_copy4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Taken a bit out of context, think Gerrard meant in terms of tricks as opposed to overall ability.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

All the rumours about Gerrard having an affair are true, he's obviously been banging Joe Cole that's the only way he could actually say something like this!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Stevie G. should stop going for headers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

He should stop talking full stop if this is the crap that comes out.

Absolute nonsense,although I did read before I think it was Deco said cole was better at tricks than ronaldhino.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

inforfun wrote: »
    Stevie G. should stop going for headers.

He's the one taking the corner or free kick as a rule, so its not that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

that must have been one wet dream Stevie had, Joe is good, but hes not Messi good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I also think he means tricks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭Polar101

How come he didn't say that last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Absolute nonsense,although I did read before I think it was Deco said cole was better at tricks than ronaldhino.
    Odd that as I rarely recall Joe Cole ever doing any trick of note in a match.
    I saw that comment by Gerrard about 3 weeks ago and had a good chuckle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

with a golf ball, possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Le King wrote: »
    lol

210_say_what_copy4.jpg

This sums up how we all feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Captain talks up new signing, how dare he, how dare he praise him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

YEAH_RIGHT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Gerrards been on the mushrooms again. Maybe he means Joe,Ashley Cartlon and Andy together.:D

Willing to bet any money that Messi will never be available on a free in his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

How%20to%20ROFL.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

He was talking about tricks on the training ground. Nothing to see here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

He can do all the fancy tricks he likes on a training field or a golf course tee box. Messi does all his talking during matches which is all that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

imgname--trick_shot_newsletter---50226711--Jeremy_Dale_on_ball.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Jesus lads.

96777.jpg

3532819_d1ba87f6a6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Odd that as I rarely recall Joe Cole ever doing any trick of note in a match.
    I saw that comment by Gerrard about 3 weeks ago and had a good chuckle.

What Joe COle have you being watching, he's at tricks the whole time, good at them too.

Ye i did think Gerrard meant better at tricks too but why would he say that Cole would get the player of the year award, surely he said that because he thinks Joe is better than Messi as a whole.

MOG7 wrote: »
    What Joe COle have you being watching, he's at tricks the whole time, good at them too.

Ye i did think Gerrard meant better at tricks too but why would he say that Cole would get the player of the year award, surely he said that because he thinks Joe is better than Messi as a whole.

Ryan Giggs got 2 years ago and he only played 10 or so games, rooney got it last year and wasnt top scorer and won **** all, best players don't always win the award, oh and messi plays for barcelona, they don't play in the premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Think he is having kick abouts with Lucas to often. Know Cole is on the scene he is blown away!!

niallo27 wrote: »
    Ryan Giggs got 2 years ago and he only played 10 or so games, rooney got it last year and wasnt top scorer and won **** all, best players don't always win the award, oh and messi plays for barcelona, they don't play in the premiership

What?!.. So do you think Gerrard is saying that Cole will get the award because he can do a few tricks with a golf ball. No i didn't think so, he's saying that he thinks Cole can do things as good if not better than Messi during a game. Wtf you saying Messi plays for Barca for? Obviously i know that and there is no need to bring it up, the only reason i mentioned Messi is because that is who Gerrard was comparing Cole too :rolleyes:

MOG7 wrote: »
    What?!.. So do you think Gerrard is saying that Cole will get the award because he can do a few tricks with a golf ball. No i didn't think so, he's saying that he thinks Cole can do things as good if not better than Messi during a game. Wtf you saying Messi plays for Barca for? Obviously i know that and there is no need to bring it up, the only reason i mentioned Messi is because that is who Gerrard was comparing Cole too :rolleyes:

You would know your from offaly anyway, your probably a guard too im guessing, no he said cole can do tricks better than messi, he never compared them on the field, what do you want gerrard to say, he is ****e, i dont know why we signed him for, ffs ferguson is trying to convince us gibson is a decent midfielder, wenger thinks arsenal can win the league, chelsea fans think their club has a bit of class, david moyes thinks everton are a big club, so what if gerrad comes out with a bit of ****e talk veryone else does it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Warper wrote: »
    Speaking to Match of the Day magazine, Gerrard said: "Messi can do some amazing things, but anything he can do Joe can do as well, if not better.

a so thats why Gerrards performance suffered, he's on Crack!

obviously a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Gerrard is an absolute disgrace. Bigging up a new player to the club like that, cole wont like that at all, the club captain giving him compliments, it will kill his confidence completely. Its stuff like that that gets teams relegated.

I blame pepe reina myself, he should never have let this happen.

• Advertisement

You would know your from offaly anyway, your probably a guard too im guessing, no he said cole can do tricks better than messi, he never compared them on the field, what do you want gerrard to say, he is ****e, i dont know why we signed him for, ffs ferguson is trying to convince us gibson is a decent midfielder, wenger thinks arsenal can win the league, chelsea fans think their club has a bit of class, david moyes thinks everton are a big club, so what if gerrad comes out with a bit of ****e talk veryone else does it.

Right ye great so you checked out a few of my previous posts, well done, and no i'm not a guard. Back on topic of course i know Gerrard has to say these things, the quote from the article actually says "Messi can do some amazing things, but anything he can do Joe can do as well, if not better. "... maybe it depends how you read it but it sounds to me like he is not talking about doing tricks.

Would Gerrard really be stupid enough to say "I really fancy Joe for the [player of the year] award this season." just because he thinks Cole can do a few tricks like Messi? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Ryan Giggs got 2 years ago and he only played 10 or so games, rooney got it last year and wasnt top scorer and won **** all, best players don't always win the award
    What? I agree that there was a certain element of a nostalgic vote for Giggs but he did play almost three times that many league games and was in great form. Rooney's goal threat single handedly carried a weak United for large portions of last season.

On a more on topic note, Stevie G should have realised that he'd get quoted wildly out of context in the media when he said what he did. Maybe he did and was just playing about...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Polar101 wrote: »
    How come he didn't say that last season?

Is before the World Cup considered last season enough?

These comment were made before the World Cup. The press reused them again after Cole joined and I can only assume they are doing so again.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I'll always be a fan of Joe , for what he did for Chelsea. Some pure moments of magic. I'm disappointed he's gone to Liverpool but the simple fact is he couldn't produce it week in week out. He was given enough of a chance by Ancelotti but couldn't deliver the goods. His biggest problems are lack of consistency and tactical ineptness, Mourihno and Ancelotti have said so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

"footballer in stupid comment" shocker.

nobody's going to take him seriously, so nothing really to see here in all honesty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Lol@ headline of thread, nothing like hearing a footballer talk up another team mate

• Advertisement
Advertisement