Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BlogTalk social networks/social media conference event in NUI Galway 26-27 Aug

Options
  • 10-08-2010 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭

Hi all -

The BlogTalk Social Media Event will be held in NUI Galway on August 26-27. I hope you can join us, to learn more about social media and to imagine the future of social networks with people from Facebook, Google, OpenID and more. We’ll have some great keynotes, talks, panels, social events, and lots of networking opportunities. See http://2010.blogtalk.net/. This is a non-profit event.

Speakers/sessions include:
    • Dan Gillmor (director, Knight Center): Activist consumers and responsible media creators in a networked age
    • Stowe Boyd (social tools authority): Social media blur: blogs, networks are turning into real-time streams
    • Charles Dowd, Sonia Flynn (Facebook): The Facebook Platform
    • Ade Oshineye (Google): Social networks versus conversational networks
    • Blaine Cook (BT, ex-Twitter lead developer): Webfinger: using your email for portable identity on the Web
    • Fergus Hurley (founder/CEO, Clixtr): From Galway to Silicon Valley: Building a consumer Internet startup
    • Ted Vickey (former director of the White House athletic center): How to best promote your CV and skills using LinkedIn and social media
    • Werner Breitfuss (Hypios) – The impact of social media on expert finding strategies
    • Laurent Walter Goix (Telecom Italia) – Context-aware mobile social web
    • Declan Elliott (091 Labs) – Open community labs, creative spaces and DoOcracy
    • Our own Darragh Doyle (boards.ie) – boards.ie: who we are, what we do, and where we are going

…and more!

Registration for BlogTalk is just €149 for two days (early bird). We also have student / unemployed / one-day rates (€99). Galway is now even easier to get to: 1h40m from Dublin on the motorway, just over an hour from Shannon International, and with regular flights to Galway from Dublin, Cork, Belfast, Manchester and London. And the Galway Horse Races autumn festival starts on the 28th so you can have some fun after BlogTalk!

Come and attend BlogTalk: it should be a productive and enjoyable event.

John Breslin

http://2010.blogtalk.net/

P.S. You can tell your social network connections about the event by clicking on these links: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

I have been keeping an eye on this event for the last few weeks. It sounds really interesting and the lineup of speakers look great. However the ticket prices are a bit steep even if its a non-profit event, even as a student. My best bet of getting to see what happens is if some people twitter/blog about it, and as a Bloging event I cant see why this wont happen. However if I do come across some money in the near future, I will be attending

Best of luck with the event!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As a clarification in case anyone thinks it's spam, Cloud is admin/owner of boards.

OT, sounds interesting I might just show up for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Comparing to other events like Dublin Web Summit it is similarly priced if not cheaper but price includes lunches and coffees.

Sponsorship is difficult to say the least. The big web players have been unable to help this year.

Thanks

John

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Cloud wrote: »
    ... Galway is now even easier to get to: 1h40m from Dublin on the motorway

You must have a turbo-charged broomstick if you can do that in 1:40.

Kinda tempted by the event, though.

Galway's public-transport website is still built in Blogger, even though you wouldn't guess by looking at it these days. Not your average kinda blog ... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

JustMary wrote: »
    You must have a turbo-charged broomstick if you can do that in 1:40.

I've done it in that time in my Yaris :D

Sure it sounds like a lawnmower attempting to commit harikiri but it's possible!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭W!zard

World class line up there, well done!
    Finally Galway is getting some action with events like these, anyone else thinking of going ? :)

120 km = 60 minutes; 200 km = 100 minutes - okay maybe 1h40m plus the end bits :)

Thanks all. Your support is appreciated, it costs to get three keynotes to Galway. We are going to Dunguaire Castle for the dinner. Should be fun!

Cloud wrote: »
    120 km = 60 minutes; 200 km = 100 minutes - okay maybe 1h40m plus the end bits :)

You're forgetting " that section of the route which bypasses the town of Athlone. " (Wikipedia).

Call it 2 hrs, plus the bits on the end.

PS ... may I suggest I better choice for the "More" at the bottom of your travelling page?

The site that's linked to currently points to a page that was last updated in 2004, and doesn't include the range of private buses now running between Galway and Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

After thinking about it I decided I am going to purchase a ticket in the next day or two, the speakers are great and really don't want to miss out in the opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Don't suppose its on in the evenings for those of us that work?

JustMary wrote: »
    PS ... may I suggest I better choice for the "More" at the bottom of your travelling page?

You may. I mean, thanks ;) That's what I get for copy and paste!

Wompa1: Sorry, daytime only. You should come along to the dinner event though if you want to meet the dudes - 50 euro for a medieval banquet in Dunguaire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭W!zard

Columc wrote: »
    After thinking about it I decided I am going to purchase a ticket in the next day or two, the speakers are great and really don't want to miss out in the opportunity.

Have to agree with you there, got to get mine before the 18th!!! I better set the alarms to remind myself.. :D

Hi all -

Unfortunately Don Thibeau is unavailable to talk about OpenID; however, Henry Story will speak about WebID, and we have two additional speakers: Ruairi McKiernan, CEO/Founder of SpunOut.ie, and Deanna Lee, VP for Marketing and Communications with the New York Public Library.

Henry Story will talk about the WebID identity system, and how it could make loads of distributed blogs into a secure social network. He is currently with Sun, and worked on the famous Babelfish translation service from AltaVista - both as developer and christener (he came up with the name)!

Ruairi is CEO and Founder of SpunOut - a youth-oriented web platform that aims to encourage young people to engage positively and creatively with society.

Deanna Lee is VP for Marketing and Communications with the New York Public Library, the second largest library in the US. She is formerly of ABC World News and Nightline, and will talk about the merging nature of marketing, PR, journalism, comms and social media. Should be a fascinating talk, was speaking to her last night.

Please register TODAY as the early bird rate expires tomorrow - 149 for two days, 99 for students / unemployed, 99 for one day.

John

Advertisement