Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI Visa Debit?

Options
  • 10-08-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Does anyone know if BOI does a visa debit card? Laser has slowly proven to be a load of bollocks over the last several months, and now that I want to buy a laptop from dell and have found that I can't use laser...well that was the nail in the coffin for me :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They don't, and haven't announced any plans to switch as of yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Davthalas wrote: »
    Does anyone know if BOI does a visa debit card? Laser has slowly proven to be a load of bollocks over the last several months, and now that I want to buy a laptop from dell and have found that I can't use laser...well that was the nail in the coffin for me :P

You might aswel open an ulster bank account (bring the usual passport, utility bill etc). Took me 5 mins to open an account, had the debit card within 7 days. Laser is going the way of the ghettoblaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

It will be a long time before BOI introduce any kind of proper debit card they are the slowest bank to introduce anything, they are only now introducing instant payments online despite the fact most other banks have had it for some time! even though you will still have to wait 7 days to get the code to set up instant payments :s

Why would they give up such a cash cow seen as Ulster and soon PTSB wont be part of the laser consortium, http://www.lasercard.ie/inside.asp?id=101

It also means they get more people applying for credit cards seen as laser is pathetic online!

Ill opening an Ulster or PTSB account just for the card despite the fact everything is with BOI.

I think they should go with mastercard debit just to be different lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I always thought Mastercard Debit was Maestro - I didn't think there was a separate Mastercard Debit. My cousins in America say they use Maestro debit cards, and they are accepted anywhere that processes Mastecard Credit Cards.

Having said that, the Irish Maestro from Postbank was just awful. Fine for ATMs, but terrible for actual POI transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I always thought Mastercard Debit was Maestro

No, two completely seperate products. Both provided by Mastercard, but different. Mastercard Debit is just like Visa Debit, but obviously with Mastercard branding. It can be used anywhere in the world (online/offline) that Mastercard is accepted in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Thats like Maestro ireland and the ul are totally different. Uk site that accept maestro online, wont accept the irish one.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

just be careful where you use the visa debit card - a lot of shops wont give you cash back with it - which is a real pain when you dont live near any atm machines and need money for a taxi :mad:

Advertisement