Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun Patterning

Options
  • 10-08-2010 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭

I know this is here somewhere, but since it did not concern me before but does now I just need to know what to do to test fall of shot,pattern sxs 12G etc. What to do, how far back what chokes,size of target etc. Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I know this is here somewhere, but since it did not concern me before but does now I just need to know what to do to test fall of shot,pattern sxs 12G etc. What to do, how far back what chokes,size of target etc. Cheers

Mg grandfather used a sheet of newspaper @25 yards, I leaned on an old football, shooting it around the field until it would not move, then I knew my max effective range!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

I used manure bags before, or animal feedstuff bags would do. the plastic ones and fix them to a post at the desired distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think what you guys have been doing is working out how the gun shoots.
    patterning is firing at a large whitewashed sheet of steel at preset distances and seeing the pattern of shot.
    Some guns throw shot in shapes with certain loads/chokes with noticeable holes in the pattern.
    You want to find out how shot/load/distance affects the distribution of shot.
    The only way is to get a large sheet of steel and whitewash it and work away from various distances with your chosen ammo.
    It is time consuming, I suggest the use of a camera to record the pattern and a notebook to record the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Just don't use the steel sheet method if you're testing steel shot:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Read the piece by Peter Blakeley, the link is in the third post.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055884337

Good luck

• Advertisement

Full choke No.1's at 16 yards and the gun is shooting a bit high.

patternboard.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Read the piece by Peter Blakeley, the link is in the third post.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055884337

Good luck

Good man Thanks
    Have a Beretta SxS cannot hit a thing with it, I think I am firing low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jimbrowning

good chance the gun is not fitting you right. if not, your mount will never be spot on or the same every time. a trap gun on the other hand, has a higher stock comb, and is designed to shoot high for rising goining away birds.
    what gun is it?

good chance the gun is not fitting you right. if not, your mount will never be spot on or the same every time. a trap gun on the other hand, has a higher stock comb, and is designed to shoot high for rising goining away birds.
    what gun is it?
    471 Silver Hawke MC, would like to sell or trade but probably not get its value, just over a year old, just cannot hit a bloody thing with it:mad:

DH1,

The 471 is a quality gun, probably just needs a little adjustment.
    The simplest and most conclusive way to find out where your gun shoots is to shoot it! .... at a pattern board. Use the full choke tubes supplied with your gun.
    There should be a central mark, which is the target. Stand about sixteen yards away, to use the board, and focus on the target area in the centre. I take two shots aimed like you would a rifle, as a reference.
    New piece of paper/cardboard or fresh paint.
    Mount and lower the gun twice, and on the third time as the gun hits the shoulder, fire. Do not aim. An area should emerge, after five or six shots, where the bulk of the shot is concentrated, and for every inch that the pattern is “off” target, the stock will need to be adjusted by a 1/16 th of an inch. If the main shot concentration is 4 inches high and 4 inches left, for example, the stock needs to be given 1 / 4 inch of cast and 1 / 4 inch comb height.
    Ideal shot distribution is 60% above the target 40% below unless a high shooting gun is favoured. A trap gun for example should pattern high because in the initial stages of flight the targets are always rising. A gun that is to be used for shooting flushing birds should also shoot high for the same reason. A few shots at the pattern board can reveal a multitude of sins to the trained eye and if it’s done right.

• Advertisement

DH1,

The 471 is a quality gun, probably just needs a little adjustment.
    The simplest and most conclusive way to find out where your gun shoots is to shoot it! .... at a pattern board. Use the full choke tubes supplied with your gun.
    There should be a central mark, which is the target. Stand about sixteen yards away, to use the board, and focus on the target area in the centre. I take two shots aimed like you would a rifle, as a reference.
    New piece of paper/cardboard or fresh paint.
    Mount and lower the gun twice, and on the third time as the gun hits the shoulder, fire. Do not aim. An area should emerge, after five or six shots, where the bulk of the shot is concentrated, and for every inch that the pattern is “off” target, the stock will need to be adjusted by a 1/16 th of an inch. If the main shot concentration is 4 inches high and 4 inches left, for example, the stock needs to be given 1 / 4 inch of cast and 1 / 4 inch comb height.
    Ideal shot distribution is 60% above the target 40% below unless a high shooting gun is favoured. A trap gun for example should pattern high because in the initial stages of flight the targets are always rising. A gun that is to be used for shooting flushing birds should also shoot high for the same reason. A few shots at the pattern board can reveal a multitude of sins to the trained eye and if it’s done right.

Thank you for that,simply explained, Ill try that this wekend,hate to have to offload it, where would be the right place to get any work like that done, or would it be easier(cheaper) to get a stock made

DH

Try Pat, if he does not adjust stocks he will know someone who will do the work.
    http://patsluddsgunstocks.wordpress.com/about/

DH

Try Pat, if he does not adjust stocks he will know someone who will do the work.
    http://patsluddsgunstocks.wordpress.com/about/
    Thank You
    Where is he situated

Pat is in Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford.

Advertisement