Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend washing machine & dryer

• 10-08-2010 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

We are buying our first home the only things we need to buy appliance wise is a machine and dryer.

Any recommendations?
    We would like to buy a reliable brand and that isn't outlandish money.

My requirements for a washing machine are really that the washing cycle doesn't take too long.
    We have one in the property that we are renting at the moment and it takes about an hour and a half to do a 90degree wash.

No requirements for a dryer as I have never had one before.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

What size drum/spin speed were you thinking?
    And would it be a vented or a condenser dryer,i.e would you have a hole in the wall with the hose going out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

In my experience, you can't go too far wrong with Bosch & Siemens. The two companies have a joint venture that manufacturers their appliances. They're good quality and last, and aren't as expensive as Miele.

Electrolux (also makes Zanussi and AEG) is pretty reliable too.

The only brand we had terrible problems with was Hoover/Candy. We'd a washing machine that broke down irreparably 1 week outside warranty and a dryer that scorched clothes.

Hoover = Candy (Same company 2 badges)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've had two AEG machines .. the first lasted 17 years with only one minor repair, and I only replaced it because we moved house and the new owners were happy to take it over as it was still going strong (it weighed a ton and was on the 3rd floor too!) The one I have now is now coming up to 13 years old and also has only been repaired once (circuit board replacement).

I have some Miele appliances too (microwave and vacuum cleaner) that appear to be virtually indestructible.

Solair wrote: »
    In my experience, you can't go too far wrong with Bosch & Siemens. The two companies have a joint venture that manufacturers their appliances. They're good quality and last, and aren't as expensive as Miele.

Electrolux (also makes Zanussi and AEG) is pretty reliable too.

The only brand we had terrible problems with was Hoover/Candy. We'd a washing machine that broke down irreparably 1 week outside warranty and a dryer that scorched clothes.

Hoover = Candy (Same company 2 badges)
    Bosch and Siemens are still very much in the premium price range,the OP didn't want to pay outlandish money.
    Alun wrote: »
    I've had two AEG machines .. the first lasted 17 years with only one minor repair, and I only replaced it because we moved house and the new owners were happy to take it over as it was still going strong (it weighed a ton and was on the 3rd floor too!) The one I have now is now coming up to 13 years old and also has only been repaired once (circuit board replacement).

I have some Miele appliances too (microwave and vacuum cleaner) that appear to be virtually indestructible.

The same can be said about a lot of brands,but the truth is,the new machines won't last half as long as some of the older ones.
    Electrolux and AEG's service has gone to the dogs since they have been pulled back to England,as has Whirlpool's.

Beko are based in Ireland and are one of the cheapest brands about,but from my experience in retail,are one of the most reliable.
    Service is much better than Electrolux or Whirlpool,and are about half the price of Siemens or Bosch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Hotpoint's kinda strangely hit and miss.

For example, my grandmother replaced her older washing machine with a Hotpoint Aqualtis (the machine with the huge door) and it's been amazingly good and has worked away for the last few years without a glitch. Extremely silent and does an excellent job.

Meanwhile, a few people I know who bought cheap hotpoints had problems..

I suppose the brand just covers such a wide range of machines that it's bound to be a bit like that i.e. starting from about €299 and going right up to about €900 !

We rented a few apartments over the last while so, I've experienced some classic landlord budget machines first hand and they're extremely variable.

Whirlpool - shockingly poor machine. It was built badly and didn't wash well at all.
    Indesit - Washed very well but it was extremely noisy.
    Hotpoint - Same manufacturer as the indesit, but a whole lot quieter and better built !

We then bought a Bosch Logixx 8. It's well built, but the controls are a pain in the rear end. If you brush against the front panel you can stop the machine / accidentally adjust the wash. It also is extremely unintuitive e.g. when you select Cotton wash it automatically sets at 60C which is weird as mostly you want 40C. The result is that I've wrecked clothes by accidentally washing them way too hot.

I'd say have a good browse around Which? .co.uk you can get a trial memebership!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Stay away from Hotpoint/Creda/Indesit...

They are cheap but a disaster.... They usually go about year 2 just after the guarantee

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Was chatting to a Hotpoint service man the other day, and he reckons the Aqualtis is one of the best machines Hotpoint ever made, reliability wise. Very seldom have issues, but you do pay the price, as they're upper end.

If you're thinking Zanussi, read the label inside the door, as newer models are now coming out of China, not Italy to make them cheaper. Seems Zanussi is now gonna be Electrolux's budget brand.

I don't know if coming out of China is necessarily bad, but it's too early to tell.

I wouldn't get Hotpoint,they're a grand machine alright,but a call out (gaurantee is 1 year labour 5 years parts) after the first year is 114e,very over priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

byte wrote: »

If you're thinking Zanussi, read the label inside the door, as newer models are now coming out of China, not Italy to make them cheaper. Seems Zanussi is now gonna be Electrolux's budget brand.

I don't know if coming out of China is necessarily bad, but it's too early to tell.

+1

did electrical are selling a 299 zanussi and its just a rebaged THOR appliance

electrolux ,the mother brand is embarking on a worldwide brand recognition project -this means if you make an appliance ,you can do a deal with them to use one of there brand names at a cost ,

now is the time for smaller independants to push the knowledge to the customers ,white goods retailing is going to change drasticly in the next 3 to 5 years

knighted_1 wrote: »
    +1

did electrical are selling a 299 zanussi and its just a rebaged THOR appliance

electrolux ,the mother brand is embarking on a worldwide brand recognition project -this means if you make an appliance ,you can do a deal with them to use one of there brand names at a cost ,

now is the time for smaller independants to push the knowledge to the customers ,white goods retailing is going to change drasticly in the next 3 to 5 years

I can't believe they get away with that,knighted. I actually remember reading a letter about an Electrolux global rebranding,didn't realise they meant that.

• Advertisement

been in the pipeline a while and going on a few years with other makers -

maybe we should open a separate thread to report/discuss rumblings in the trade that might be an advantage to each other in the trade and also to consumers ,cause as i said big changes happening in the next few years as a result of the recession

I saw on a Hotpoint machine there last week that it was made in Turkey,Beko could well be making it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 cmd

Bought a Hoover washer/dryer a couple of months ago and wished I hadn't bothered. The dryer stopped working after a few weeks and contacted their service department as machine still under warranty. 2 weeks ago I booked an appointment for today, Monday 20th September. I booked the day off work. Last thursday I got a text saying that the engineer was calling next day, Friday 17th. I rang to explain that the appointment was for today and that nobody would be here on Friday. They then kindly rescheduled the appointment for today - as originally agreed. Yesterday I received a text to confirm todays appointment. This morning at half 9 I got a phone call to say engineer couldn't make today but would be here tomorrow!!!! I then had to explain that as I had taken today off work I couldn't be here tomorrow. Will have to book another days leave from work and hope this date fits in with their appointments. Wish I had never set eyes on the washing machine......

cmd wrote: »
    Bought a Hoover washer/dryer a couple of months ago and wished I hadn't bothered. The dryer stopped working after a few weeks and contacted their service department as machine still under warranty. 2 weeks ago I booked an appointment for today, Monday 20th September. I booked the day off work. Last thursday I got a text saying that the engineer was calling next day, Friday 17th. I rang to explain that the appointment was for today and that nobody would be here on Friday. They then kindly rescheduled the appointment for today - as originally agreed. Yesterday I received a text to confirm todays appointment. This morning at half 9 I got a phone call to say engineer couldn't make today but would be here tomorrow!!!! I then had to explain that as I had taken today off work I couldn't be here tomorrow. Will have to book another days leave from work and hope this date fits in with their appointments. Wish I had never set eyes on the washing machine......

dont take any more time off -under IRISH consumer law ,they must arrange a repair for you at a time thats convient to YOU .(within reason) if they refuse go back to the retailer where you purchased the machine and let them deal with the service company for you .

Thanks for that info. Will make another appointment for engineer to call and believe me, it'll be at a time that suits me. I was so angry on the phone this morning I couldn't arrange it then. The husband will be at home one day next week and he is going to make appointment for then......

I wouldn't have bothered going near Hoover to be honest,they're totally gone to the dogs.

Would you believe that after cancelling an appointment last month, they have gone and done it again!!!! I made another appointment for this Thursday, have taken the day off work and lo and behold I just got a text confirming that engineer would be here tomorrow, Wednesday!!!! I rang to be told that they had phoned me last Friday to confirm that the appointment had been moved to Wednesday and that I agreed with it!!!! I think I'd remember taking that call. Apparently the engineer cannot make Thursday. What sort of a mickey mouse operation is this? They have now agreed to send an engineer on Saturday - I'll believe it when I see it.....

Just had a message left on my phone to say that the engineer due to call this saturday has hurt his back and can't come. But they can have someone here Monday.... I give up....

Sounds like a 'bit' of a run around.

tell the retailer you want a replacement . its thier problem now ,your contract with the retailer now the manufacturers

• Advertisement

Rang Power City on thursday evening - thats where I bought the washer/dryer. Told them the sorry tale about the Hoover/Candy service and the nice bloke I spoke to said he would ring them first thing Friday morning and request a replacement. Said he would then phone me. And guess what? Haven't heard a word yet......

the best way to deal with any body nowadays is by email .if it has to go to court its electronic evidence .better than a phonecall - email powercity and direct them to this thread and the amount of views it has had -

you are in the right here ,all you wanted was a repair which they cant or havent given you .

Have had enough. Just emailed power city. Rang them tuesday coz I hadn't heard from them since last Thursday as promised. Rang them tuesday to explain yet again - and was promised phone call tues afternoon. Heard nothing so tonight the washing machine went mental. Used to wash ok when dryer went but tonight put all my work clothes in and when it filled with water, it tripped all out fuses. Tried several times but each time the sockets went and I was recording corrie and eastenders and lost recordings - that sent me over the edge. Its a girl thing!! In order to get my clothes out of machine, we flooded kitchen, I have taken to the wine and my clothes, still full of detergent, are out on the apartment balcony, the whole reason I need a washer/dryer. I may keep drinking wine til tues and ring JOE DUFFY - the shame!! Himself taken off running to local swearing he will go to Power City first thing in the morning. So if anyone sees a 6 foot tall mad man in Power City, Greenhills tomorrow, take cover. Oh I've entered late late show competition as I mop uo the kitchen floor.... No idea what the prize is but hope it is nothing from Hoover/Candy or Power City...

I'd go mad. Get them to send you an LG washer/dryer

Monday 1st November - Got text yesterday afternoon from Hoover to confirm an engineer will call today and I am so excited because guess what? Power City replaced the washer/dryer last week!!! I'm hoping that today, after 2 months, 4 cancelled appointments and numerous phone calls, an engineer will call. Rang Power City last Wednesday because I hadn't heard back from them and they said they were waiting to hear from Hoover. After an hour they rang me back to say an engineer would call but it couldn't be a Saturday because their engineers didn't work Saturdays. When I explained I had a text message confirming an engineer would call Saturday 16th October, and then a voice mail cancelling same appointment, I was told a manager would call me back. That evening got phone call to say they would replace it. Went to Power City and chose a Zanussi which they delivered last saturday and took away the dreaded Hoover. Problem solved!!! So when I got text yesterday from Hoover to say engineer would call today, how I laughed. The moral of this story is never buy anything from Hoover/Candy - the service is appalling. I'm off now to do nearly 2 weeks washing and keeping my fingers crossed that the engineer actually calls.....

9.30 a.m. engineer just rang to say he would be here in ten minutes. The satisfaction I got in saying he was more than welcome to come and look at my lovely new Zanussi washing machine!!!! Problem solved. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on what to do. And remember - never buy anything from Hoover/Candy.....

9.30 a.m. engineer just rang to say he would be here in ten minutes. The satisfaction I got in saying he was more than welcome to come and look at my lovely new Zanussi washing machine!!!! Problem solved. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on what to do. And remember - never buy anything from Hoover/Candy.....

Talk about a company gone to the dogs. What Zanussi model was it? Certain newer models are following Hoover...

dont know about your place greetings but that hoover wash dryer was i think 650 euros last year -if a salesman sold one they got 50 euros gross commission on it (10 times the normal amount roughly )

thats why so many were pushed to customers ;)

should add that that figure not from where op purchased it

Bought the Hoover washer/dryer last February for 449 Euro. We don't have the space for a separate washer and dryer, hence had to buy combined. There wasn't much choice at the time and as far as I can remember the Hoover had the biggest capacity and thats why we picked it. Didn't realise until it needed repairing that Hoover had merged with Candy and I think thats where the problem is. Anyway, the Zanussi cost 475 Euro. When Power City offered the replacement we were adamant we didn't want another Hoover product so we paid the difference for the Zanussi. So far so good - its almost silent which the other one never was. I now have lovely fresh clean sheets and towels so I'm happy......

• Advertisement

P.S. Its a Zanussi essentiall 1200 6 kg - if that means anything. It works for the moment and thats all I ever wanted - if only Hoover/Candy had better service!!!

knighted_1 wrote: »
    dont know about your place greetings but that hoover wash dryer was i think 650 euros last year -if a salesman sold one they got 50 euros gross commission on it (10 times the normal amount roughly )

thats why so many were pushed to customers ;)

should add that that figure not from where op purchased it

Who's incentive was that,surely not the employer? We don't stock Hoover because of how poor quality they are,the owner will have none of them.

P.S. Its a Zanussi essentiall 1200 6 kg - if that means anything. It works for the moment and thats all I ever wanted - if only Hoover/Candy had better service!!!

Good to hear,good luck with this one,you deserve a bit of luck with one at this stage surely.

Thanks greetings, I can't believe I'm so happy with a washing machine but I put it on and watch it from start to finish - how sad am I!! So far so good - clean clothes and no tripped fuses or flooded floors - happy days.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Reggiefish

Howdy, I just came down stairs and found smoke coming from my candy washer dryer, the machine was just spin clothes at the time. My question is does anyone know from experience if its worth having the damn thing patched up or going all out and getting a new one. (ps. the current one is approx six years old)

Personally I'd get a new one - it would probably cost you a fortune to get it repaired. And if an engineer calls out from Hoover to repair it, you pay labour and parts. After my experience with Hoover Candy and a machine only 6 months old, I'd never go near them again...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Reggiefish

I thought as much so myself and the missus went out and picked a new one today (apparently I can even use this one though), thanks for the advice.

Regards
    Reg:)

byte

Reggiefish wrote: »
    I thought as much so myself and the missus went out and picked a new one today (apparently I can even use this one though), thanks for the advice.

Regards
    Reg:)
    What did you get in its replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Lone Ranger

was going to buy a hoover tomorrow in currys but after reading above posts i'll steer clear. thanks all

Not a chance man. Even if it is 249 for a 9 kilo,do. not. buy.

greetings wrote: »
    Not a chance man. Even if it is 249 for a 9 kilo,do. not. buy.

will do, any recommendations in the sales?

• Advertisement

What was your budget going to be?

greetings wrote: »
    What was your budget going to be?

i guess i would be happy paying for quality, once it is efficient and reliable. having said that i saw a rather large, american looking, washer reduced to 1200e:eek: in expert in naas. way to costly for a washing machine,imo.

i guess i would be happy paying for quality, once it is efficient and reliable. having said that i saw a rather large, american looking, washer reduced to 1200e:eek: in expert in naas. way to costly for a washing machine,imo.

Was that a top or front loader? Could well be one of the LG 11kg or even a whirlpool dream space,but that's an old machine and think isn't made anymore.
    There's a good one. 7kg 1200 spin
    http://www.powercity.ie/?brands=LG&pages=1&par=40-01

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

What do people think of this Beko washer selling for €179.95 in Power City?

http://www.powercity.ie/?action=&par=40-01&cat=FREESTANDING+APPLIANCES+++

Beko washers got a good rep? Reliable?

tm2204 wrote: »
    What do people think of this Beko washer selling for €179.95 in Power City?

http://www.powercity.ie/?action=&par=40-01&cat=FREESTANDING+APPLIANCES+++

Beko washers got a good rep? Reliable?

They're good value for money,generally quite reliable.But for a much better machine at 299,go for the wme8227

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Very interesting thread, thank you.

We're looking at buying a washer-dryer in the next few weeks.

We had been looking at a Hoover one and following this thread are more than apprehensive.

Any recommendations please for a good washer-dryer that will get a lot of usage and probably some abuse??? :D

Budget? €500 or so for the right machine.

How is the Zanussi Jet System ZWD14581W1? We can get one here in Limerick at the moment (from an Irish retail company) for €519 reduced from €599

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

Hey Bicycle

Did u ever get one of these? looking at this one myself
    Bicycle wrote: »
    Very interesting thread, thank you.

We're looking at buying a washer-dryer in the next few weeks.

We had been looking at a Hoover one and following this thread are more than apprehensive.

Any recommendations please for a good washer-dryer that will get a lot of usage and probably some abuse??? :D

Budget? €500 or so for the right machine.

How is the Zanussi Jet System ZWD14581W1? We can get one here in Limerick at the moment (from an Irish retail company) for €519 reduced from €599

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 scano001

Bought a Hoover washing machine, the drum broke just after two years. Paid to get it replaced, parts covered by warranty call out not. Within a year the replacement broke. YES, two drums in three years. Again I had to pay for a call out. Only real option was pay for a replacement supposed reduced price. Less than a month in, problems, not washing, taking 3.5 hrs for a wash or not rinsing and cloths are full of powder. We do not over fill our machines and our previous machine had lasted nine years. If you think the max washes we would do in a week is two by fifty weeks, over three years that is about 300 washes. That averages at 150 washes = a broken machine.. Hoover, guess what I think about them.

byte

If you hate Hoover, you should also avoid Candy, same outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 scano001

I do not hate them but I do resent paying for something that should have a life of 8 or 9 years and only get two years. This is just a reminder to people to research before buying. I am not happy with Hoover and will never purchase one again. You do not get value for money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement