Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlumTree problem

Options
  • 10-08-2010 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I have a young plum tree that gave great harvest last year. This year the leaves came out in spring as usual then started dying off until the tree was completely bare by the start of the summer. Then, at the base of the tree, young shoots / branchs w leaves have grown. (approx 2 ft long). Is this normal for Plum trees to go like this. I dont want to snip the young shoots from the base of the tree if the rest of the tree had 'died'. Any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Ding Dong wrote: »
    I have a young plum tree that gave great harvest last year. This year the leaves came out in spring as usual then started dying off until the tree was completely bare by the start of the summer. Then, at the base of the tree, young shoots / branchs w leaves have grown. (approx 2 ft long). Is this normal for Plum trees to go like this. I dont want to snip the young shoots from the base of the tree if the rest of the tree had 'died'. Any advice?

Did you prune it?
    And if so, when?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

i have had the tree 2 years and have never prnued it. its only 8ft high

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Hi Ding Dong,

To me it sounds like the Tree has been damaged !! Possible at the Grafting joint and your root stock has taken over !!

look at the base of your Tree and if the new growth is below the "old" graft joint (Looks somestimes like a swollen Knobbly Knee) then the Plum "Cultivar" you want, is more than likely dead!!!
    I doubt the Root Stock will ever Fruit depending on what it is.

If this is the case (Your Scion is dead) you can try Graft a NEW Scion on to your tree and Possible several cultivars at the same time!!.
    It's never worked for me (Apple tree) But you can try.. all that can happen is you fail!
    Look up on Internet Grafting Methods...

Great. thx for the advice. I will check 2nite and let u know early bext week when im next on board

Well I checked the tree Friday. I know the little 'knee' you referred to as most of my trees have them but not this particular tree. The shoots are all with 12" of the ground I would say. I snapped one or two twigs on the top branches and they seem v dry and brittle. doesnt look good....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Well I checked the tree Friday. I know the little 'knee' you referred to as most of my trees have them but not this particular tree. The shoots are all with 12" of the ground I would say. I snapped one or two twigs on the top branches and they seem v dry and brittle. doesnt look good....

Then you could cut off the "Dead" branches to remove the risk of desease and Hope that the Growing side shoots wll fruit in 2-3 years!!

Advertisement