Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy becoming more aggressive

Options
  • 10-08-2010 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi there, I posted a few weeks ago about our puppy who was biting all the time. I've followed all the advice I've been given about ignoring him, putting him in his box, shouting "no" or yelping when he bites and he's just getting worse. He's growling at the children all the time and attacking their ankles, hands and even faces constantly. He's not as aggressive with me, though he does nip me occasionally and has broken the skin a few times. My problem is, he's not due his final injections till next week and then will have to stay in a further two weeks. I can't bring him to training classes until then. Has anyone got any sure fire way of dealing with a very difficult puppy. I love him to bits and want him to be a good family pet but at this rate the kids are going to end up hating him. He's 11 weeks old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

babyboom wrote: »
    Hi there, I posted a few weeks ago about our puppy who was biting all the time. I've followed all the advice I've been given about ignoring him, putting him in his box, shouting "no" or yelping when he bites and he's just getting worse. He's growling at the children all the time and attacking their ankles, hands and even faces constantly. He's not as aggressive with me, though he does nip me occasionally and has broken the skin a few times. My problem is, he's not due his final injections till next week and then will have to stay in a further two weeks. I can't bring him to training classes until then. Has anyone got any sure fire way of dealing with a very difficult puppy. I love him to bits and want him to be a good family pet but at this rate the kids are going to end up hating him. He's 11 weeks old.

Wondering how much exercise/ active play he is getting? A rope toy he can grab and play tug of war with you is great. One of ours does this with a sweeping brush for as long as you can carry on. Growling and tugging and having a great old time.

Puppies need to chew and need something safe to chew at.

Fetch games also will run him out.

NB you mean nip rather than bite?

If the puppy is not getting enough exercise - and they get manic at times like all young things- then he will get frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Does he have anything that he is allowed chew? It might just be that he's feeling the need to chew, but doesn't know what to direct it into.

kylith wrote: »
    Does he have anything that he is allowed chew? It might just be that he's feeling the need to chew, but doesn't know what to direct it into.

Those rope toys are great; a grip at one end for a hand in safety and a large knot at the other; you can easily make something similar eg a knotted sock.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

He has all the toys he could possibly have. We have three of those rope/ball things but I was told not to play tug of war games with him as this would make him more aggressive, is this wrong? He also has chew bones (made from hide), a squeeky chicken, a pretend burger and hotdog, an old slipper, a few balls etc. He has the free run of the back garden and I play with him a lot. I was actually discouraging the kids to play with him the past few days as the more attention they paid him the more aggressive he was getting. Even with all his chewy toys, he only plays with them for a while then drops them and goes straight for ankles and feet instead. I'm really at my wits end with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

You can play tug but you should have clear rules surrounding the game. IE if he mouths anywhere other than where he should, stop the game etc.

It's great that you have toys for him, it sounds like you're doing really well to be honest and a few tweaks could turn him into the perfect pet.

Firstly, you need to understand that as a pup he is not being agressive. As far as I know, and in my experience, 11 weeks is too young for agressive tendancies, but what is happening now, could turn him into a nightmare. So please try to understand that he is not being "nasty" he just is not sure how to play with humans.

I'd suggest starting some obedience games and involving the kids(if they are old enough, and even very young kids can help). For a while no more running around screaming with the dog (this is loads of fun for dog and kids but can excite the pup a lot). Try having the kids teach him sit, that alone will help the dog understand that they are not other pups to play bite with. Drop is another good one, and will come in handy with the tug game and fetch games. Have a toy and a handful of food, give him the toy, say drop and show him a biscuit. He should drop the toy, gets a reward and your kid is well on the way to teaching the pup and learning how to control him. Of course it wont be that easy, you'll have to supervise to make sure the pup isn't crawling onto the kids trying to wrestl food out of their hands etc, but stick with it, it will work. Games should be calm and focused on reward.

You can really teach sit in a few days if you stay focused and have patience with him. That would allow the kids a bit more control over him when playing. Please don't discourage the kids from playing with him, he will never learn then and i've seen so many "family pets" living lonely lives because they don't know how to be with kids. Just supervise play closely for a while and teach the kids what they need to do.

Finally, I'd say if you do not want your children playing with the pup, please consider rehoming him now before he's too old and badly behaved to find a home easily. (although like i said, it sounds like you're doing really well so far and training will make all the difference!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Dublin_Muttley_

I'd get in touch with a professional trainer/ behaviourist, you don't need full injections to have a behaviourist come to your house and see what might be his problem, if there is one that is! :) Sometimes getting help from other dog owners is well and good, but it doesn't work all the time unfortunately!!

http://www.apdt.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'd get in touch with a professional trainer/ behaviourist

At 11 weeks? Seriously?

OP, that dog is just boisterous. Stick to what whispered said.

and to emphasise again, the best "tool" to disciplin an over-excited, over-confident pup is withdrawal of: (in that order)
    - excitement ...keep things calm
    - attention ...just turn your back
    - group contact ...if the first two don't work, unceremoniously remove him from the action and stick him behind the next available closed door to cool off. Half a minute is enough ...just long enough for it to sink in that bad behaviour is not tolerated and leads to exclusion. Then start with being calm again once you let him back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

It sounds like he thinks the kids are just bigger pups for him to play with. He's doing what he'd do with his siblings. I had two pups so a lot of my time was setting boundaries for them when they'd get too boisterous with one another. One of my dogs is as tenacious as anything. Once she gets her mind on something, well she's damned if she's going to let any correction stop her from her meddlin'! With her, I find it easier to distract her into better behaviour with treats - my dogs are true to the adage 'will work for food'! A good way to work off excessive energy at that age is to hide food/treats around the house or garden and get them to find them. By the time they're done, they've given their nose and brain a good work out!

If he's breaking skin, it's because puppy teeth are exceptionally pointy and sharp and I'd advise you to settle in for the long haul because he'll be two, possibly three years old before he's in any way mature. I know this from experience: last year, for six months I was convinced I was the worst owner and that my dogs would be complete loo-lahs when they were going through a 'the hell with you & your commands' phase - one of the dogs would bark at me constantly when I'd tell him to do something or when I'd call him in the garden to bring him back in. But we got through it with patience and good humour, though it was damn hard to be good humoured at times!

And yes indeed, do include your kids with training him. It can be a lot of fun for the dog - more people to hang out with; it's great for your kids and you can go about your business content that your kids aren't going to be at the dog's mercy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Whispered wrote: »
    You can play tug but you should have clear rules surrounding the game. IE if he mouths anywhere other than where he should, stop the game etc.

Tug of war is fine but just to add never let your dog win this game all the time as they need to know that you are the boss, if you give up and leave him have it thats where his dominance begins !!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GisforGrenade

If he snaps, firmly clasp his jaws shut with your hand, look him in the eye and tell him in a firm voice bad dog don't do that that. Just do that everytime and he will soon cop on, also the kids should get in the hang of it too. The puppy is clearly trying to dominate the kids, he has to be made realise the humans are the top dog and won't take bad behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If he snaps, firmly clasp his jaws shut with your hand, look him in the eye and tell him in a firm voice bad dog don't do that that. Just do that everytime and he will soon cop on, also the kids should get in the hang of it too. The puppy is clearly trying to dominate the kids, he has to be made realise the humans are the top dog and won't take bad behaviour.

I wouldn't recommend that, especially not for the children.

That's a very severe reprimand and not all dogs take kindly to it. Do it a few times and be too slow about it and there goes your hand (or that of your child).

Also, your hand is supposed to be the source of all good things (food, care, cuddles). Using your hand to punish the dog and inflict discomfort (or even pain) only makes the dog distrustful.

Good luck in the future if you ever want to clean his teeth / get some food out of his beard, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry but an 11 week old pup is not trying to dominate, hes just doing what puppies do, they chew, nip, bite etc, its part and parcel of puppy behaviour.

Its up to us to teach whats acceptable and not. I wouldnt advise holding a pups mouth closed when hes doing this and i dont think you will find any trainer that will advise that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

am i missing something?? the puppy is 11 weeks old, my cocker was MENTAL at 11 weeks... and nipped and yes broke the skin... he snapped at my heels, growled etc.... he is ONLY 11 weeks old... you are expecting WAAAAY too much too soone... persuming you got the puppy at 8 weeks.... you have only been saying "no" or "yelping" etc for about 3 weeks??? it takes MONTHS to train a puppy not weeks.... he is just doing with ALL puppies do to the other pups.. he doesnt know their humans etc...

he is FULL of energy, he needs to be excercised etc...
    Tugging on the rope and growling is normal... he is very excited and the excitment is over whelming him...... my cocker is 5 and when we play football with him he growls at the ball with over excitment.. however i still put my hand down and pick up the ball no probs...he has NEVER bitten or shown his teeth or growled at me... etc... so growling during tug of war etc.. he not always a sign of aggression...

When he bites at heels etc... say "ah ah" in a very loud and assertive voice.... or get a bottle fill it with small stones (so that it makes a loud nosie) when he does something you dont like shake it near him... the noise should make him stop and listen... this will distract him from what he is doing... do this each time he is doing things he shouldnt...

when he is inside the some give him something to lick... licking motion brings a dog "happy"" hormones i.e. stuff a kong with pate

You should have him netuered at 6 months too this will also calm him down a bit....

Be careful of what dog food you are feeding him, this could lead to hyperactivity...

You must remember... he is 11 weeks old... ONLY 11 weeks... you are expecting far too much from him too soon... it takes MONTHS and MONTHS for dogs to learn the house rules... :eek:

Be patient and be consistent...

Ricardo G wrote: »
    Tug of war is fine but just to add never let your dog win this game all the time as they need to know that you are the boss, if you give up and leave him have it thats where his dominance begins !!
    Sorry I should have said! I completly agree. And it would be better to do that with a drop command so you're mentally "winning" as opposed to physically winning if that makes sense.

You really don't need to teach an 11 week old pup who is "top dog". It's a baby, if dogs do indeed ever try to dominate their owners in a way you seem to think they do, they certainly don't begin this "domination" at 11 little weeks.

OP - do you have any pics? :)

Relieved to see so much good sense..

We were talking about this last night.. Much the same as some of the posts here.

If the puppy is 11 weeks and they have had him" a few weeks" then he clearly left his mother far too early.

Yes he is a wee baby only; far too young for what is being meted out to him. Just a baby.

Puppies play with their teeth... period. He is not being aggressive, just a normal energetic puppy....

They chew, nip, grab, all in play. That is what puppies do at this early age.

We honestly agree with one poster that this wee one would be best rehomed immediately. This is not the right place for him. he is being ruined at a fast rate now.

And maybe they need to try an older, calmer dog from a rescue.. or, as someone here has said, get the children a stuffed toy...Which will be docile and not play....

cocker5 wrote: »
    am i missing something?? the puppy is 11 weeks old, my cocker was MENTAL at 11 weeks... and nipped and yes broke the skin... he snapped at my heels, growled etc.... he is ONLY 11 weeks old... you are expecting WAAAAY too much too soone... persuming you got the puppy at 8 weeks.... you have only been saying "no" or "yelping" etc for about 3 weeks??? it takes MONTHS to train a puppy not weeks.... he is just doing with ALL puppies do to the other pups.. he doesnt know their humans etc...

he is FULL of energy, he needs to be excercised etc...
    Tugging on the rope and growling is normal... he is very excited and the excitment is over whelming him...... my cocker is 5 and when we play football with him he growls at the ball with over excitment.. however i still put my hand down and pick up the ball no probs...he has NEVER bitten or shown his teeth or growled at me... etc... so growling during tug of war etc.. he not always a sign of aggression...

When he bites at heels etc... say "ah ah" in a very loud and assertive voice.... or get a bottle fill it with small stones (so that it makes a loud nosie) when he does something you dont like shake it near him... the noise should make him stop and listen... this will distract him from what he is doing... do this each time he is doing things he shouldnt...

when he is inside the some give him something to lick... licking motion brings a dog "happy"" hormones i.e. stuff a kong with pate

You should have him netuered at 6 months too this will also calm him down a bit....

Be careful of what dog food you are feeding him, this could lead to hyperactivity...

You must remember... he is 11 weeks old... ONLY 11 weeks... you are expecting far too much from him too soon... it takes MONTHS and MONTHS for dogs to learn the house rules... :eek:

Be patient and be consistent...

Great post.... Thank you... AND BE LOVING; it comes over that all this wee one is getting is aggro and negativity.

Grace7,

Sorry i should have said it in my last post... you are dead right... love and affection wins over agression everytime... a puppy getting scolded and giving out to all the time will lead to an unhappy dog... i do agree that the OP saying the kids will hate him etc is soooo unfair...

he is doing excatly what EVER puppy does... cause havoc... but a good havoc!! :D

My cocker was literally a terror until he was around 1 years of age... we gave him lots of instruction and sooo much cuddles and affection, he is now the most loveable dog... he gives kisses on demand ;)... when my neices and nephews are over they are ALL over him and he loves it :) laps it up!! he's the sweetest cocker... love him dearly :p

At the end of the day... the puppy is 11 weeks old... it will take up to a year or so to learn all the rules and whats expected of him.. but he has to have fun and affection along the way...

Maybe an older dog would suit this family... if they are getting annoyed at 11 weeks.. wait until he's six months and opening the washing machine door and eating all the clothes (as my guy did) or until he is opening all the kitchen press doors and helping himself!! :D:D

The joys of a puppy.... you gotta love them... they are adoreable :P

cocker5 wrote: »
    wait until he's six months and opening the washing machine door and eating all the clothes
    or presenting them proudly to guests :o

Wonderful last two posts..

I was totally unused to puppies when family over here for six months adopted THREE JRTs.... When I came home they would mob me; if I sat down, it was a swarm on my lap and three wet tongues all over my face.

And a small hurricane....

This is the fun of them, but what a time that was.. At least they played rough with each other - and that is why 8 weeks is too early to leave the litter. They need to rough house freely. And of course a dog's skin is far thicker than ours; a thick gauntlet helps

Lost count of the phone cables, pens, knitting needles I lost in those months. Chewed to bits...just being a puppy is all it was . No bad intention. .

But then they would all curl up on my lap and sleep..; so much utter love they have to give, but so much skin hunger and need at that age. Snuffling in their sleep..

we rehomed two of those and the third, a JRT basset cross is still with me and still full of bounce at five years.

But I had a professional and expert teacher in my family; and learned what a puppy needs first hand. The game with the sweeping brush is still excellent on a wet day for this one.

And it is the owner here who needs training, as I did, not the puppy....

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    or presenting them proudly to guests :o

Yip whispered... he loved embaressing (spelling?) us... i think he used to wait until people came over...

one time we had people over watching DVD etc... he went into the kitchen to get water etc... he didnt re-appear... so we looked around and there he was sitting on top of the dinning room table with full view of the TV ......sitting tall.....as proud as punch :D....

the amount of time i chased him around the TV trying to get him to release the cables from his ultra cute mouth.. just so he wouldnt topple over the TV...

The amount of college books that were shredded during the first 6 months was mental (my fault for leaving them out) but i would walk into the kitchen and there would be what looked like a snow storm (paper storm) and my dog would be smiling up... dead happy with the new decoration...

Or the amount of times i re-planted the garden.... hoping this time it will be different....spent a fortune, to come home and find the WHOLE garden re-arranged!! Just they was he likes it!! :D he kinds still does that the this day.... he like to bury his bones and eat them when they are full or worms and smelly :D
    where would you be without them!!! :p

Thats what puppies are for... they are full of havoc... they make mistakes.. they will learn over time, like us all... they just wanna have a bit of fun :D

One of the reasons I was so glad that I was able to be at home with my two pups is I got to see some classic puppy behaviour and it was hilarious! Okay, so when they've discovered how to open the door of the press that doesn't close properly and you realise they've been stealing silvermints, that's not so much hilarious as 'great, now they're high on sugar!'
    Watching them try and get up the steps in the garden with their little legs and barking madly because they're determined to do it, but just can't...hours of entertainment there. Or finding the hole they dug in the flower bed, which they then curled up and fell asleep in.

When dealing with pups, you need to keep some perspective and act accordingly to their age. Basically you get back what you put in. Yes, the toilet training and the getting them to respect you and your property is a lot of work, but you can enjoy your pup too and enjoy the training. You're going to have this dog for years. Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP what your pup could use is some other pups to knock some sense into him - ie he bites one of them and they'll cry and he'll learn that he's gone too far. Are there any puppy classes/daycare places near you or even other dog owners you could meet with and let the pup have a play? Our guy is a GR so some owners didn't like our big lump playing with their small dogs (somebody said he was going to eat their Yokie the other day when he bent down to smell noses with it) or else dogs that were the same size as him were too grown up to be bothered with a puppy so he goes to daycare a few times a week to play.
    Our guy started getting a bit rough biting/jumping up etc again at around 10-11 months. His legs were sore for a while so he wasn't going to his daycare at the time - once he was ok to go again within a few trips the rough play completely stopped - all he needed was his dog buddies to set the boundries.

Jeez guys, some of your replies are a bit harsh. I was only asking for advice. I have no intention of re-homing the puppy, he is beautiful and very much loved. But I also love my children and don't want them to be nervous in their own home. I don't think thats too much to expect to be honest. I give the wee fella lots of attention all the time, I speak to him all day when I'm in the kitchen, I play with him in the garden, I've gotten up to him at night when he's cried. I've had a dog before so I'm not a complete novice (he was a JR too). I just want to make sure that I start off on the right footing so that both the family and the dog are happy with one another and we can have a long and lovely life together. After posting here I'm more confused than ever. Such conflicting advice. I take particular exception to being told to rehome the dog. I know he will turn out just fine and that he's only a puppy etc. I'm not expecting him to act like a mature dog at all. From some of these replies you'd think I'd been beating him or starving him. He is getting plenty of loving and not aggro as suggested above. I'm actually quite upset that some posters seem to think I don't deserve to keep my dog.

Thank you to the lovely people who took time to pass on some non-judgemental advice. I will take what you've said on board. Today, we've asked the children to be a little less boisterous around him and have been teaching him how to sit using doggie treats. Both he and the kids have really enjoyed this. We've also discovered one of our neighbours has just bought a little JR puppy the same age and we've agreed to socialise them with each other when they've had all their shots so he'll have a pal to share walks with and burn off some of his puppy energy.

Today, we've asked the children to be a little less boisterous around him and have been teaching him how to sit using doggie treats.
    You will see the world of difference quickly once the pup realises that treating the children with respect gets him treats. How old are the kids?

Please come back and let us know how you get on.

Jeez guys, some of your replies are a bit harsh. I was only asking for advice. I have no intention of re-homing the puppy, he is beautiful and very much loved. But I also love my children and don't want them to be nervous in their own home. I don't think thats too much to expect to be honest. I give the wee fella lots of attention all the time, I speak to him all day when I'm in the kitchen, I play with him in the garden, I've gotten up to him at night when he's cried. I've had a dog before so I'm not a complete novice (he was a JR too). I just want to make sure that I start off on the right footing so that both the family and the dog are happy with one another and we can have a long and lovely life together. After posting here I'm more confused than ever. Such conflicting advice. I take particular exception to being told to rehome the dog. I know he will turn out just fine and that he's only a puppy etc. I'm not expecting him to act like a mature dog at all. From some of these replies you'd think I'd been beating him or starving him. He is getting plenty of loving and not aggro as suggested above. I'm actually quite upset that some posters seem to think I don't deserve to keep my dog.

Thank you to the lovely people who took time to pass on some non-judgemental advice. I will take what you've said on board. Today, we've asked the children to be a little less boisterous around him and have been teaching him how to sit using doggie treats. Both he and the kids have really enjoyed this. We've also discovered one of our neighbours has just bought a little JR puppy the same age and we've agreed to socialise them with each other when they've had all their shots so he'll have a pal to share walks with and burn off some of his puppy energy.

With respect; please look back at your original posts? saying an 11 week old puppy is AGGRESSlVE? etc etc etc. It rings alarm bells for many of us; and I am glad we spoke as we did - not judgemental but very concerned - as now you are heading thr right way.

"With respect; please look back at your original posts? saying an 11 week old puppy is AGGRESSlVE? etc etc etc. It rings alarm bells for many of us; and I am glad we spoke as we did - not judgemental but very concerned - as now you are heading thr right way. "

With respect to you when a dog has a grip on your six year olds ankles and won't let go for love nor money and is growling at the same time it can come across as aggression in my opinion.

Whispered, the kids are 12 (nearly 13), 9 and 6. The eldest is the most wary of the dog. My 9 year old is brilliant with him and has spent most of today teaching him to sit. The six year old has special needs and loves the dog but does get upset when he is nipped at although he doesn't over react or ever hurt the dog at all. I'm sure it will all work out fine. We all love the dog and want whats best for him, I just want to make sure its an enjoyable experience for everyone.

Well at lest you know now that it's not agression babyboom and I'm sure the kids wont be as upset at being bitten when they understand that he's not trying to hurt them. Of course them being nipped is not ideal, but if they look at it as the puppy learning to be good, as opposed to trying to be bold, it might make it easier on all of you.

(I'm currently listening to my OH and the dog beating each other up in the kitchen. :rolleyes: They both sound dangerous LOL)

It sounds like the pup has found a friend with your middle child. Hopefully when your other children see the difference a bit of training makes they will gain confidence with him.

With respect to you when a dog has a grip on your six year olds ankles and won't let go for love nor money and is growling at the same time it can come across as aggression in my opinion.

It's been my experience that pups make it sound worse than the situation actually is. I don't mean that in a patronising way and I certainly don't mean to lessen the fright your poor six year old got. I just mean that they can be very vocal when playing because they're learning and the pup probably thinks of your kids as other pups/things to play with. The noises one of my lads makes when he and his sister are doing a rough and tumble, you'd seriously think he was being badly injured.

Best of luck with the training and I hope you all have many happy years together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Dublin_Muttley_

What I meant by my previous post is it cost nothing to call someone up and let them know the situation and they can then advise appropriately. But this is a puppy, pups play in a way that seems aggressive to us but it only normal to them. You'll have to let the pup know what is acceptable and what is not. And with the children involved, you have to get them to do training work with the pup too.

Advertisement