Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy becoming more aggressive

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What I meant by my previous post is it cost nothing to call someone up and let them know the situation and they can then advise appropriately. But this is a puppy, pups play in a way that seems aggressive to us but it only normal to them. You'll have to let the pup know what is acceptable and what is not. And with the children involved, you have to get them to do training work with the pup too.

I think the OP has done that by mailing here.. And I think also that she has learned so much as we all do here, from the experience and expertise of many ... Maybe more from some than from others.;)

It sounds set fair and better for the wee one now and that is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

What are you feeding him? Alot of the puppy food available is WAY too high in protein and can drive dogs up the wall. Check the bag of dogfood for protein contens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OP any updates? How is he getting on with the kids now?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

Hi guys. Well the wee fella is settling down a little. He's still nipping, which I know is fairly normal, and we've had a few snarling/growling incidents over the past few days but I feel its heading in the right direction. We've been feeding him Science Plan dry puppy food mixed with a little Bertie's Natures Harvest wet food as he doesn't seem to like the dry food very much. He is not a great eater and I was wondering was he overly hungry. He does poop and pee enough I think so he must be getting something. I have poached chicken and given it to him a few times which he has absolutely wolfed down but I don't really want to get into that habit. I don't want him starving either. I'm trying to be strict about the eating, just giving him his own food, taking it away and offering it again later but he really doesn't seem that interested in it. He was at the vets yesterday for his final jabs and he says he's a fine healthy dog so he's not sick or anything thank God. Anyway, only two weeks now and he'll be able to go out for a proper walk and run about which might also help him to settle down a bit, use up a bit of energy and maybe even increase his appetite a bit. Thanks for all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

He will eat when he's hungry, don't worry about that at all. Once the vet is happy he's healthy I wouldn't even think twice about it. You're right not leaving it down, try not to feel guilty and cave in by replacing his meals. They're great at putting on the hungry face when you're eating something lovely.I think that for now his meals are best made up of proper puppy food, with chicken etc as treats. Unless you do a lot of research it's difficult to balance their food with the right amount of protien, grain etc. (I am open to correction on this though!)

My mother in law has a dog which will not eat dog food, when you go into the house there is usually chicken or tuna on the plate in the corner. Not eaten, I've seen her at 11pm cook some liver for the dog because she hadn't eaten her chicken that day! Honestly, the dog gets more meat than my poor OH.

Make sure you know when the pup is play growling, I wouldn't discourage that tbh. It's a natural part of play. They can be very vocal, but most of the time it's all games.

Are your oldest and youngest any more comfortable with him?

Best of luck with him from now on. I'm so glad he seems to be settling in better now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement