Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question on RIAM senior cert!

Options
  • 10-08-2010 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

My cousin is studying for her senior cert atm and I suggested that she should choose the contrasting Scarlatti pieces from list A as they are quite a nice option. I know that for mine I played K239 l 281 (no 74), but can't quite seem to remember which other one I did! Does two contrasting sonatas simply mean a major and minor one? Been looking through the sonata book and K208 L238 (no 61) appears to be quite a nice option.. Would this be ok to go along with the previous one or not? Or does anyone have any other suggestions from the book with sonatas 51 - 100? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I'm not familiar with Scarlatti, but from my experience, 'contrasting' means more than just the key. It also takes into account rhythmic, tempo and thematic variables.

In other words, pick ones that have clearly defined differences like tempo (slow v fast) and rhythm (don't pick two that are both continuous semi-quavers). Key is important as well, but not as vital as the other two.

The examiner wants to see that first, you have the ability to distinguish between two contrasting pieces and more importantly, that you have the ability to play the two different elements.

Its like seeing someone play nothing but Chopin Nocturnes all the time. They're gorgeous, difficult to master and most people like them. But it doesn't necessarily mean that this player can play say.....a Bach P&F. Its all about training to play many different styles.

Hope this helps! :)

Advertisement