Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sydney for christmas

Options
  • 10-08-2010 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

hey guys!!

was looking for accomodation in sydney for christmas time..

anybody know anywhere to stay?!
    was half thinkin bout rentin an apartment but not sure wat to do any suggestions????????

thanks for any help!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Christmas is right in the middle of the Summer Holidays. It's leading up to New Year with all the celebrations that centre in Sydney, so it makes it an expensive time for accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

how long will you be in Sydney for?
    like 3weeks?

or 3 months ... different answers based on your answer

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Lloyd Xmas

I was there last Christmas, and if you leave booking accom to late, you'll be looking at extortionate prices of approx $100 a night for a six bed dorm; at least thats what is was where I stayed.

I ended up moving out quick smart and got a shared apt in the middle of Sydney for $150 a week.

If you book your hostel early, you'll get the normal rates of between $25 - $35 a night.

A lot of the shared apts require a three month minimum stay and if you leave early you'll forfeit your deposit which is normally a weeks worth of rent.

You could check the rates on Hostelworld.com just to see what they are now for Xmas, but I suspect they'll be fine now.

Also, if you go the hostel route, book all your nights at once; because if you extend your stay, you'll pay the Christmas rates for any extra nights.

Hope this helps anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

Best thing i'd recommend doing is looking at gumtree, under short term in the housing section....or even posting in there. There's sure to be loads of irish and other backpackers going home for christmas who'd be delighted to have their rent covered for the few weeks they're at home. my friend went home last yr and 2 english girls rented her room for the 4 weeks....she did give them a discounted rate but saved her over a grand in rent when she was away and they had a room for lot cheaper than a 6 bed dorm in a hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kavsmdf

We got a 4 bed dorm in Nomads in Sydney from the 22nd of December - 2nd of January, worked out at around 200euro each of that length of time, and there's 4 of us so we will have our own room which is perfect for us!

Good luck finding a place, but that's the best option I could find. Although I didn't look very hard :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 thecandle

Might sublet my place when I'm going back home...will let you know when I know more

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭sandyhills

We are also trying to find accommodation in Sydney from 21 December to 6 January. We cant get any hostel over the 3 days over the new year any suggestions??

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gitterbug

hey guys
    thanks for all the replys..im sorry only gettin back to the thread now

hostels seem to be gettin pretty expensive from now on

been on gumtree lately and that seems to be the best option so far!! will keep looking i like the idea of havin an apartment!!

Just also, if you do go down the apartment route, choose carefully.

A lot of the City Centre (CBD) apartments might have around 12 people living in a three bed apartment, most of which will more than likely be Chinese and other Asian students.

I stayed in a few myself and the hygiene levels can often leave a lot to be desired.

Most Irish, English etc... stay out around Bondi, Coogee, Maroubra etc.. so it may be a better choice depending on your circumstances, and you'll probably meet quite a few people out there.

I stayed in the City-Centre due to work, but i'm not sure I go down that route again.

If you do need somewhere within walking distance of the City-Centre, your best bet is probably a house share in an area called Surry Hills.
    Expect to pay $180 a week but you'll have your own room etc.. and you won't have to worry about spending extra on trains etc... like you would were you to stay in Bondi and work in the city.

Hope you find something good anyway and all the best with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Lloyd Xmas wrote: »
    Just also, if you do go down the apartment route, choose carefully.

A lot of the City Centre (CBD) apartments might have around 12 people living in a three bed apartment, most of which will more than likely be Chinese and other Asian students.

I stayed in a few myself and the hygiene levels can often leave a lot to be desired.

I watched Current Affair one night and some of these guys had constructed temporary bedrooms and even setup tents on the balconies of city apartments...

I suppose at $1000 per week for a 3 BR.. split 12 ways is far cheaper than 3 way, and most Asians come from a culture where the whole extended family live in one or 2 rooms.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's right.

One of the places I stayed had office partitions in the living room for people, each with a matress on the ground etc... Chaos
    Didn't have much choice as it was the Xmas period and just took what I could get but jesus!
    Another thing is renting the sun room out - Now in the summer time, you could nearly throw an oul Goodfellas in these rooms for half an hour and the thing would be cooked through.

Sharing with Europeans is probably the safest bet from my experience at least.

Advertisement