Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why was the island underwater?

• 10-08-2010 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

Did anyone ever find out why the island was underwater?
    cheers
    m

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I never quite got that. However we do not know how much time passed in thier Alt reality( purgatory or whatever you want to call it).
    Maybe thats what killed Hurley & Ben, Maybe with Jacobs evil brother gone there was no need for the island to act as a cork to contain the evil.
    So with the island serving no purpose hurley destroyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Dramatic effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

because the night the script was written the writers smoked crack and it sounded cool to have an island underwater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

It was "Purgatory". It could of being in the water, in the sky or on the moon. The Losties created that world to meet up again. Maybe it was their way of putting the island behind them.

Personally I think the writers just put it in to make it look like an alternative universe after the bomb exploded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

They stated from the get go that it was not an alternate reality and didn't want it to be referred to as that.

The island was most likely shown to be underwater because this purgatory universe that the Losties created was a place where the island didn't exist anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

NicoleL88 wrote: »
    They stated from the get go that it was not an alternate reality and didn't want it to be referred to as that.

The island was most likely shown to be underwater because this purgatory universe that the Losties created was a place where the island didn't exist anymore.
    What I meant was that the Writers did it on purpose to deceive us. I believe (but could be wrong) that the writers referred to the timeline as the "Alt" timeline before the Finale.

Despite these red herrings, the producers refused to call the flashes an "alternate timeline". (Official Lost Podcast 2/22/2010) The finale finally explained the flash sideways, completely debunking the alternate universe theory.
    (From Lostpedia)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dan faraday

I think it was partly to deceive us into thinking jughead had gone off and sunk the island, but in light of the finale you could also argue that the island is submerged in this "afterlife" because it's in each character's subconscious. They just haven't remembered their time on the island yet. That's my interpretation anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

If the island didn't exist we wouldn't be able to see it. It was done just to **** with our head and keep us guessing. Yet another reason why i think the show, its writers, and its creators are seriously over hyped.

Jay Ru wrote: »
    If the island didn't exist we wouldn't be able to see it. It was done just to **** with our head and keep us guessing. Yet another reason why i think the show, its writers, and its creators are seriously over hyped.

:rolleyes:

I meant it didn't exist in the sense that in this place that the Losties created, it was as if the island didn't exist FOR THEM. As for that dig about the show... seriously? What has that got to do with anything.

• Advertisement

Somebody ask about the island being under water and i.m.o. its just another example of how bad the show was put together. i mean its bad enuff there SO MUCH already thats gone unanswered up to the start of the last season, the the writters go and put the island under water which has no relevance to anything. It was simply done to mess with the viewers head, no other reason. If thats not bad writing i don't know what is.

Now getting back to what i said bout the island not existing, the Losties created this place that they ended up in right, they created everything and everybody, besides the other people who where on the island. So therefor if they island didn't exist to them any more in a place that THEY created why wud they just not create the island rather than create it and put it under water? I makes no sense.

The show was not badly put together, please don't say that just because you may have not understood aspects of it.

And the island being underwater in the season 6 prermier had complete relevance! Are you kidding me?!

And if your main problem with the show was that "so many things were left unanswered" you were watching for the wrong reason. I'm just going to leave it at that because I don't have time to get into this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's pretty obvious that the show was badly put together:

I think it's a waste of one's time to debate what happened in the show because you're putting thought into issues that the writers either couldn't explain, didn't bother explaining, or forgot about altogether because they had not thought that far ahead.

It's a bit like the line from The Simpsons - whenever something happens that you can't explain, a wizard did it. Or in Lost's case, a weird woman guarding a cave full of bright light.

My advice is to remember the enjoyment from watching at the time and forget the mess it ultimately became.

And I think it's a shame that so many peope feel they need to spend their time spitting negativity about something that's been over since May.

Throwing out articles and videos which "prove" the show "failed" is the worst form of debate and doesn't even warrant a response.

Every show has it's ups and down. Lost was of course one of them. But I'm just going to say again, if people are pissed off and are solely basing their opinion that the show was crap on the notion that nothing was answered then they completely missed the point of the show.

The show wasn't about all these mysteries, and the answers to them. It was about a group of people who crashed on an island, had issues in their lives, and couldn't let go. Their ultimate journey was for them all to let go of their baggage. Yes, there were mysteries along the way, and we were introduced in season 3 to these seemingly omniscient characters which led us to believe they'd have all the answers. They didn't. NO-ONE does. That's what life is about. No one knows the answers to the big mysteries: why are we here, what is our purpose etc etc.

Whinge away, but it's completely pointless. I suggest spending your time discussing shows you do like. Positive vibes top negative vibes hands down.

Throwing out articles and videos which "prove" the show "failed" is the worst form of debate and doesn't even warrant a response.

Eh? Introducing evidence of the show's failings is the worst form of debate? I would have thought ignoring the show's failings, and saying people who didn't like the show's ending didn't understand the show, was a worse form of debate.
    NicoleL88 wrote:
    The show wasn't about all these mysteries, and the answers to them. It was about a group of people who crashed on an island, had issues in their lives, and couldn't let go. Their ultimate journey was for them all to let go of their baggage. Yes, there were mysteries along the way, and we were introduced in season 3 to these seemingly omniscient characters which led us to believe they'd have all the answers. They didn't. NO-ONE does. That's what life is about. No one knows the answers to the big mysteries: why are we here, what is our purpose etc etc.

What a load of wishy-washy nonsense. I've been viewing this board and others for years and most people were not discussing the 'baggage' of characters, they were trying to figure out what the show was all about. The whole world was. I'm getting tired of hearing this retrospective altering of history by people like yourself defending the poor final season. The show was about the mystery AND characers and you are in denial if you think otherwise.
    NicoleL88 wrote:
    Whinge away, but it's completely pointless. I suggest spending your time discussing shows you do like. Positive vibes top negative vibes hands down.

You are the one whingeing from what I can see. Even in the 'whinge thread' I note you are in there complaining about those who disliked the show. You might not like the failings of the show (which is why you don't wish to touch on them) but they have tarnished the image of the show in many people's eyes, and bashing people for their opinions won't change that.

Eh? Introducing evidence of the show's failings is the worst form of debate? I would have thought ignoring the show's failings, and saying people who didn't like the show's ending didn't understand the show, was a worse form of debate.

These videos and articles are made by people who simply watched the show, didn't do any other research, didn't involve themselves in any of the ARG's, didn't interact with other fans and dicuss theories in-depth as well as coming up with their own. Fully understanding and enjoying Lost required thinking, researching and discussion. There's no two ways about it. Most of the so-called mysteries that these "fans" claim were never answered actually were.

What a load of wishy-washy nonsense. I've been viewing this board and others for years and most people were not discussing the 'baggage' of characters, they were trying to figure out what the show was all about. The whole world was. I'm getting tired of hearing this retrospective altering of history by people like yourself defending the poor final season. The show was about the mystery AND characers and you are in denial if you think otherwise.

Wishy washy? I wouldn't call something said by Damon Lindelof wishy washy... seeing as he was involved with writing the show.

And as for altering of history, if you'd care to actually read ALL of my previous post, I didn't disagree that Lost had its ups and downs. There were episodes I hated because I felt they let the show down and had nothing to do with the plot and the overall themes and plot structure e.g. "Expose", "Stranger in a Strange Land", "Beyond the Sea" etc.

Also, I never said the show was solely about characters and mysteries didn't play a part so can you please stop ignoring certain parts of my posts? Cheers.

You are the one whingeing from what I can see. Even in the 'whinge thread' I note you are in there complaining about those who disliked the show. You might not like the failings of the show (which is why you don't wish to touch on them) but they have tarnished the image of the show in many people's eyes, and bashing people for their opinions won't change that.

Again, I'm well aware of issues that the show had. I followed it devoutly for six years. I'm not bashing anyone, but I certainly don't have time for people who can't think for themselves. It started with me trying to find out why people didn't like the show, all I was met with was "It's crap!"... "Ok so why?" "Because!"

I've said it before, if certain individuals like being spoon fed, fair enough, but if they diss a show - that has been one of the most inventive, unique, popular, and has been declared a worldwide phenomena more than once, and has won countless awards, and received infinite nominations (I could keep going) - just because you didn't understand it, then I haven't got time or respect for them.

Now, I have to go to work so I don't have time for this anymore, and to be quite honest, I'm sick of getting nothing but negative notifications in my inbox. If people didn't like it, get over it, move on, and keep the whinging in the whinge thread.

@ Nicole, can u please explain the relevance of the island being under water so, and please provide some evidence to back it up

These videos and articles are made by people who simply watched the show, didn't do any other research, didn't involve themselves in any of the ARG's, didn't interact with other fans and dicuss theories in-depth as well as coming up with their own. Fully understanding and enjoying Lost required thinking, researching and discussion. There's no two ways about it. Most of the so-called mysteries that these "fans" claim were never answered actually were.

Good to see you taking alternative views on board. :rolleyes:
    NicoleL88 wrote:
    Wishy washy? I wouldn't call something said by Damon Lindelof wishy washy... seeing as he was involved with writing the show.

Lindelof was talking about the mystery element along with Cuse for several years so your point makes no sense. You can't erase the mystery element of the show in your interpretation of it.
    NicoleL88 wrote:
    Again, I'm well aware of issues that the show had. I followed it devoutly for six years. I'm not bashing anyone, but I certainly don't have time for people who can't think for themselves. It started with me trying to find out why people didn't like the show, all I was met with was "It's crap!"... "Ok so why?" "Because!"

With respect, you are the one with this attitude. Look at the first bit I quoted in this post.
    NicoleL88 wrote:
    I've said it before, if certain individuals like being spoon fed, fair enough, but if they diss a show - that has been one of the most inventive, unique, popular, and has been declared a worldwide phenomena more than once, and has won countless awards, and received infinite nominations (I could keep going) - just because you didn't understand it, then I haven't got time or respect for them.

You don't understand it though. Your interpretation of the mysteries is that they are irrelevant. Sorry, that doesn't cut it. Have a look at the unanswered questions in the video and explain them to me if you would and then I'll believe that your understanding of the show is above everyone else's. If you can't do so, and will only respond by saying that stuff didn't matter, then you are simply in denial about the show's failings.
    NicoleL88 wrote:
    Now, I have to go to work so I don't have time for this anymore, and to be quite honest, I'm sick of getting nothing but negative notifications in my inbox. If people didn't like it, get over it, move on, and keep the whinging in the whinge thread.

As I said before you seem to be the one doing the whingeing. Some of the stuff you said to other contributors in the 'whinge thread' was particularly personal and unnecessary. I don't know why you are on this crusade to try and convert people to your way of thinking, but bashing people for their views, and implying they are thick for not understanding aspects of the show which were clearly not thought out, is very silly. Chill out and accept that not everyone agrees with your assessment of the show.

Ja I'm on my way out the door, I so don't have time for a long post. I already posted on page 1.

We were led to believe that when Juliet detonated the bomb, it did what Faraday and Jack believed it would: destroy the island and make it so they never came there. But in keeping with the usual twists in Lost, this wasn't the case. This was proved when around the time of the premier either Lindelof or Cuse stated (I'm paraphrasing and don't have time to fetch a link) "It is not an alternate reality". The island appeared underwater because it was a purgatory universe - we didn't know this at the time. This is the place where the island didn't exist for the Losties and they could lead their "lives" as if the island didn't factor at all into how they progressed in their journeys. The showing of the isand being underwater was purely for our benefit.

And "Mr Nice Guy" I have nothing more to say to you, you are completely ignoring what I've said to fit your ranting. Good luck to you.

And "Mr Nice Guy" I have nothing more to say to you, you are completely ignoring what I've said to fit your ranting. Good luck to you.

*clap, clap*

So you're not going to explain the unanswered questions then? Cool. I don't know where I've ranted btw. Certainly not to the extent that you have on the 'whinge about Lost' thread to other contributors:
    Perhaps you should stick to Family Guy or The Simpsons, y'know, shows that don't require much thinking
    Go check what the term "fair weather fan" ACTUALLY means and don't embarrass yourself further
    I feel bad that you didn't seem to understand Lost properly, which is evident in you comparing it to Flasforward

Anyways I'm done trying to speak sense to someone with a chip on their shoulder. Good luck to you and to whoever has the task of trying to discuss the show with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You've both decided to stop responding to each other. Good!

Nothing to see here.... :)

Ja I'm on my way out the door, I so don't have time for a long post. I already posted on page 1.

We were led to believe that when Juliet detonated the bomb, it did what Faraday and Jack believed it would: destroy the island and make it so they never came there. But in keeping with the usual twists in Lost, this wasn't the case. This was proved when around the time of the premier either Lindelof or Cuse stated (I'm paraphrasing and don't have time to fetch a link) "It is not an alternate reality". The island appeared underwater because it was a purgatory universe - we didn't know this at the time. This is the place where the island didn't exist for the Losties and they could lead their "lives" as if the island didn't factor at all into how they progressed in their journeys. The showing of the isand being underwater was purely for our benefit.

Right heres my problem with at and i'm basically repeating what i said in my post before i asked u the question, the Losties created there "purgatory" or whatever it was. They created this place because they all shared the most important part of life together on the island, right? Now why go to the bother of creating a place and then creating the island and putting it under water? It just makes no sense what so ever. The island being under water was nothing else but a red herring, simple as that. Yet again it has no relevance to the story of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭blue_steel

The show was not badly put together, please don't say that just because you may have not understood aspects of it.

Stop saying that anyone who didn't buy into season six doesn't understand the show. You don't know that and saying it makes you sound like a pompous ass. Also the vast majority of posters here have watched the show since season one. Endlessly repeating the fact that you have achieved this astounding feat adds nothing to the veracity of your argument.
    Coherently explain even a fraction of the questions raised in the video above please. Failure to do so indicates that you have no greater insight than anyone else here. You're just happy to delude yourself that you do. If you maintain that the mysteries "don't matter" then why were you watching a show about them? Because make no mistake nobody in the world was tuning into LOST every week to see if "a group of people could let go of their baggage." The show was ALL about the mysteries.
    As a poster pointed out above this retrospective view of LOST being primarily a character study was never mentioned while it was running. Lindelof only started coming out with this crap during season 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

And I think it's a shame that so many peope feel they need to spend their time spitting negativity about something that's been over since May.

In a debate I think this would be called 'Evidence'.

I f you really wanna do a character study on each of the 14 we could very well do it to disect their 'issues'... We get it they all had parent issues and 1 other little thign they couldnt let go of... There is not the great depth with which we are led to belive.

Now dont get me wrong I loved the show I followed it from its first airing. I dont really remember you being here during the seasons to discuss the episodes and story further so maybe you just not getting the overall bigger picture about how badly the show 'eventually' turned out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Wishy washy indeed. Of course it was about mysteries.

The show's main selling point was that nobody had a clue what was going on most of the time - right up until the last episode!

I enjoyed the show, but I also think it became a huge mess in the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Now dont get me wrong I loved the show I followed it from its first airing. I dont really remember you being here during the seasons to discuss the episodes and story further so maybe you just not getting the overall bigger picture about how badly the show 'eventually' turned out.

Just because they weren't "here" doesn't mean they didn't watch the show or discuss it elsewhere. And I agree, the only answers we got or needed to be answered, were the ones that the characters got and needed to be answered. I'm not saying the producers didn't throw in mysteries just for the hell of it to keep people in suspense and watching, but the show was always about the characters. Why else would they spend half of each episode showing someones backstory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭FredBloggs

Throwing in mysteries "just for the hell of it to keep people in suspense" is the worst form of story telling and Lost was (or should have been) better than that. The writers knew from a long way out when the end date was and should have been aiming toward it. Not to clear every mystery up but so that those of us who followed it over the seasons could take an educated guess at what may have been the reason for something that happened.

FredBloggs wrote: »
    Throwing in mysteries "just for the hell of it to keep people in suspense" is the worst form of story telling and Lost was (or should have been) better than that. The writers knew from a long way out when the end date was and should have been aiming toward it. Not to clear every mystery up but so that those of us who followed it over the seasons could take an educated guess at what may have been the reason for something that happened.

But what explanation could they have possibly given for the black smoke monster etc, other than magic?

The show, from the very first episode, had a giant monster. There is no need to explain everything or leave clues to explain things because it instantly becomes a suspension of belief. Some mysteries are better left unsolved because the explanation will never be good enough.

But what explanation could they have possibly given for the black smoke monster etc, other than magic?

The show, from the very first episode, had a giant monster. There is no need to explain everything or leave clues to explain things because it instantly becomes a suspension of belief. Some mysteries are better left unsolved because the explanation will never be good enough.

I agree with you that some mysteries are best left unsolved and I never said they should have left clues behind to explain things but there should be some sense behind everything so you could say this might be the reason or I think this is the reason. For a show which had such strong writing as Lost its an awful pity they hadn't an overall plan about what was going on even if they never spelt it out in the show. I think if it was apparent there was a rationale behind what they did an awful lot of fans criticism wouldn't have arisen. And what is apparent is that they threw things in as they went along just for the shock value

• Advertisement

Yes, but, with regards to the island being underwater, they did leave clues. Roger said that he and Ben used to live on the island but had to leave. Which means Dharma existed. So presumably, something happened on the island (probably the Incident at the Swan) and they had to leave the island, and it sank.

Since the flash-sideways was purgatory, the Incident didn't have the same effect that it would have had in the real timeline. The purgatory was a creation of all the Losties. So basically, out of site, out of mind. Since none of them were on the island in the Purgatory, it was underwater.

Same reason people in the sideways timeline looked like people who had previously been in the show. Like Hurley's psychic ended up working for his recruitment agency in the sideways. The sideways was partly built from his conciousness, so he remembered her face. They all remembered the island, so it existed in the sideways. Just underwater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭dudeitshurley

The notion that "what happened to the characters is the only thing that matters" is so facetious it's not even remotely close to being funny. The closest thing to which that statement applies is a soap opera (Eastenders, Coronation Street etc) where in the long run all one really has to care about is the characters and what happens to them.

Lost had pretensions to be something great, special even, so retrospectively reducing it to a soap opera by saying it's PURELY about the characters in the end, well that's rather sad.

As has been said many times previously, you can't even champion Sawyer/Kate/Jack/(any of the main cast really) as thoroughly fleshed out 3-dimensional characters. Narratively and otherwise there was very little progression in the characters over the course of the show. Epiphany-esque moments such as Sayid turning good again or Jacks new-found faith really didnt ring true or fit well in the narrative. I've always felt that from the epic "We have to go back" scene, the reasons behind Jacks spiral into depression, determination to go back and new found blind-faith in the Island was not handled well at all. Yeah he wanted to go back to save Claire and the rest of them, which fits in with his hero-complex, but to suddenly come to the conclusion that it was all destiny and fate, after spending so many seasons trenchantly against that notion, just didnt fit right.

Character-wise the only consistency, in truth, was in the amount of complete flip-flops each and every character performed over the run of the show. The amount of good Sawyer/bad Sawyer/back to good Sawyer (and this applies to Sayid, Jack, Kate, Charlie, most of them) was a tad tedious in retrospect. Certain actions by characters, notably Widmores actions in s6, just can't make sense when taking the overall narrative into account.

Suppose for a second that the statement made above somewhere is correct:
    the only answers we got or needed to be answered, were the ones that the characters got and needed to be answered. I'm not saying the producers didn't throw in mysteries just for the hell of it to keep people in suspense and watching, but the show was always about the characters. Why else would they spend half of each episode showing someones backstory?

It doesn't say much for the actual development of the characters that they didn't feel it important to ask some of the obvious questions. If i crash on a mysterious island, do my best to survive and see all these crazy things happening - i'd be asking far more relevant questions. What is this weird island we're on, why is it so magical, why does it heal some people and not others, how did all these others know about it and get here..... I mean i'm sure there are a lot of patently obvious questions, none of them seemed to matter to the characters.

Which, in truth, is because explanations to certain mysteries were never going to be explained. Time travel, smoke monsters etc do not exist in the real world, so any explanation was never going to satisfy everyone. However, my only real problem with the "magical light" and the "magical light & water, that gets turned by a wheel and moves things through time and space" is that these things were literally shoe-horned in at the very end of the entire run of the show. The main cast spend 6 seasons trawling the island, yet somehow miss the mysterious cave with light & water until basically the end is in sight and it becomes actually pivotal in the end-game.

As for showing backstorys, this was done primarily in the early seasons and was done effectively as a means for engaging with the characters, getting to know and like them. Tons of shows employ flashback devices to enrich our knowledge of the characters, it doesnt mean that the only focus should be on them.

Explaining everything with either "it didnt matter to the characters" or "it was the magical electromagnetism" (btw im no scientist but who knew electromagnetism could do so many things!) is just not good enough, even as a retrospective answer.

I guess i could be here all day and the frustrating (almost hypocritical) thing is i loved Lost, really did, doubt there is any episode i havent seen at least twice; and the show did so much in the way of good things.

At the end of the day the consensus among champions of the show is this:

it was a show about the characters and on their journey they encountered all sorts of weird and random ****, none of which truly mattered much, but the important thing is at the end of it all they died eventually at different times and can now go to the light in peace after creating a little place for themselves to meet up.

And for detractors (or just let-down fanatics):

What appeared to be a show with a dense, progressive, over-arching mystery filled with watchable, likeable, diverse characters, ended up being a show where none of the over-arching mystery was that relevant to anything (or anyone of the characters) and the watchable, likeable, characters were basically spinning wheels for most of the shows run whilst the unimportant mysteries dragged out to the inevitable magic light conclusion.

ps. How the hell can electromagnetism transport someones consciousness into the afterlife? I mean COME ON

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭dudeitshurley

lol sorry went a bit off the deep end there ending up writing an essay :rolleyes:

The light from the island wasn't just electromagnetism (I know in your PS you were refering to Widmore's chamber, I'll try get to that in a minute). Electromagnetism was just on of it's properties. The light in the centre of the island, was magic. That's it. It allows people to live longer. Someone has to protect it. It can cause the island to move, both in time and location. It can turn a person into a smoke monster. Etcetera, etcetera.

I'm sorry, but, magic was always going to be the answer. Nothing even close could possibly cause all those thing within the realms of science. Even though it was only introduced in the last few episodes, it was always going to be magic. Again, it's a show which, at the end of the first season, had a smoke monster (first real appearance, even though it had been in it from the very first episode). Locke's visions. Walt's 'special' abilities. The healing nature of the island. Ghosts of dead people appearing. Things beyond the realm of conventional science were always a part of the show.

Again, I'm not saying that the producers didn't throw in some things just for the hell of it. Keeps people in suspense. Keeps people talking about it. Keeps people watching the show. But those who watched it solely to get as many answers as possible were watching the show for the wrong reasons. The show was always about the characters.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree on the character development thing. I believe there are valid arguments for both sides. I enjoyed their journeys from flashback to purgatory. And like I said, I think they only answers we really needed were the ones the characters needed to get to where they ended up. All the rest doesn't matter. Besides, you asked why they didn't ask more relevant questions. Fact is, who would they have asked? Most of the time they were either with other people they didn't know, or with people they couldn't trust to give the correct answer. And even then, we saw more than the characters did, so they wouldn't have the same questions as we would.

And as for the electromagnetism with Desmond..... Magic ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Why the island is underwater in the Sideways is the same as asking why the plane lands successfully, and why Jack has a son, and so on. In other words, it ties into a broader question of what the Sideways is. And this wasn't really answered in the finale as (heavy-handed religious imagery aside) the writers wanted to leave exactly what the Sideways was up to interpretation.

Now as I've said before, my take on the Sideways is that it was a basically a shared dream that was experienced by all the Lostaways upon the moment of death. I don't think they lived an entire life in the Sideways. They had memories of a life there, yes, but only memories. Jack could remember having his appendix taken out as a child and yet he wasn't sure it had really happened. So I think most of them (or at least Jack) "arrived" in the Sideways mid-flight around the moment that the real plane went down. But obviously this would have differed for people like Desmond, Ben and Juliet who came to the island under different circumstances.

So why is the island underwater? I think because in this shared dream the characters are trying to imagine a life without the island. No island means no plane crash, etc. All of them must have died with some regret about their experiences on the island.

I'm sorry Paddy as you obviously have thought about the show a lot and your views and opinions on it are based on an indepth knowledge of the series but really magic as an explanation is lame. The writers and producers would have lost a huge share of their audience if say in season three they had said "Magic plays a big part in the show". (Which given the many loose ends that were left they might as well have - as you say Magic is the only explanation!)

• Advertisement

FredBloggs wrote: »
    I'm sorry Paddy as you obviously have thought about the show a lot and your views and opinions on it are based on an indepth knowledge of the series but really magic as an explanation is lame. The writers and producers would have lost a huge share of their audience if say in season three they had said "Magic plays a big part in the show". (Which given the many loose ends that were left they might as well have - as you say Magic is the only explanation!)

But if they only started introducing these elements in season 3 as you say, then yes, that would have completely ruined the show. But the 'magic' (supernatural elements) has always been part of the show. They couldn't just throw it all in the first season. They had to slowly build up to it. If we had seen the black smoke monster in the first episode, half the viewers would have left instantly. By hiding the monster, it could be perceived as introducing a mystery in order to keep people interested. In another, it could be perceived as building up slowly to ease people into it.

I almost wouldn't go so far as to say that the explanation to everything unanswered is 'magic', but there is so much that cannot be explained scientifically, so why bother trying to explain it? I mean, we finally got an explanation about The Whispers, and people complained. Said it wasn't a good enough explanation. And in a way, I agree. The explanation didn't live up to the hype. But again, it was a supernatural-type explanation. It may have been their plan from the beginning, or it may not. But can you imagine if they explained that in the first season? Danielle tells Sayid that if he hears the Whispers, to run, because The Whispers are the sounds of dead people who haven't yet moved on?

Again, there are valid arguments for both sides. And in a way, it's similar to the ending of The Sopranos. Some people loved it. Some hated it. But it's still being talked about. Thats the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭blue_steel

Just because they weren't "here" doesn't mean they didn't watch the show or discuss it elsewhere. And I agree, the only answers we got or needed to be answered, were the ones that the characters got and needed to be answered. I'm not saying the producers didn't throw in mysteries just for the hell of it to keep people in suspense and watching, but the show was always about the characters. Why else would they spend half of each episode showing someones backstory?

If you like character studies then watch Mad Men. At the Emmys MM moped the floor with Lost for this very reason. I'm sorry but if you view Lost as a character study then it stank. People acted out of character all the time. They were talking heads, moved around to island to set up the next mystery and not much more.
    Lost was a sci-fi show and and a brilliant one for 5 seasons. In season 6 they blew it by moving the goal-posts and trying to explain away every glaring inconsistency by magic and "the rules"

I actually just finished the second season of Mad Men earlier this week, and agree it's a brilliant show.

Look, I'm not saying the character development in Lost was the best I've ever seen. I'm not saying that the producers didn't throw in extra mysteries to keep people interested. And I'm not saying that, in a way, their explanations or the whole 'magic' thing wasn't a bit of a cop out. I'm just saying that, the supernatural bits were always a part of the show, and proper answers a) wouldn't have lived up to the hype, and b) just weren't necessary. We got the answers that we needed (and the characters needed) for the show to come to it's conclusion. For the journey that these characters started in season 1 to come to an end in season 6, both individually and as a group to come to a conclusion.

Again, there are valid arguments for both sides. And in a way, it's similar to the ending of The Sopranos. Some people loved it. Some hated it. But it's still being talked about. Thats the point.

Yes, I'm still thinking about Lost months after the last episode aired. As a huge huge fan of the series I felt let down by the ending - not because I wanted everything spoon fed to me but because it became apparent to me the writers and producers hadn't a clue what they were doing all along. But you're right in saying its similar to the Sopranos and some people hated it and some loved it. Who am I to say my views are any more reasonable than someone else who has followed it as much as I and got great satisfaction from the ending?

Advertisement