Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCA survey says prices down 14%, what the hell are they smoking?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

91011 wrote: »
    Then you;ll ahve seen that it is a branded goods survey. The NCA carry other survey too that show unbranded goods, a mixture of goods etc.

On a branded goods survey you can compare like with like 100%.

On unbranded you can't - example, Aldi own brand chocolate is FAR superior than Tesco own brand chocolate. Same with Aldi Jams & Yogurts. So it would be unfair to Aldi to say that on unbranded goods they are the same as Tesco whereas imo they are far superior to tesco.

Or compare Aldis frozen ready made gammon steaks / lamb shanks - utterly divine and probably even better than Tesco's Finest range which are about 30% more expensive!

What this survey says (& my extra comparison) is that on branded goods, there is now price similarity with all the main supermarkets both in UK & Ireland.

See my earlier response. You can't compare taste, as everyone's taste buds are different but you CAN compare the price!

I'm not so sure about the price parity with the UK. On my frequent trips home, I can see fairly large price differentials. For instance, Listerine mouthwash is E4.19 (Dunne's) -E4.99 (Tesco Ireland). In Tesco's/Sainsbury/Asda/Superdrug it's about £2.80. I'm sure I can think of others, but this is the example that come to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

See my earlier response. You can't compare taste, as everyone's taste buds are different but you CAN compare the price!

I'm not so sure about the price parity with the UK. On my frequent trips home, I can see fairly large price differentials. For instance, Listerine mouthwash is E4.19 (Dunne's) -E4.99 (Tesco Ireland). In Tesco's/Sainsbury/Asda/Superdrug it's about £2.80. I'm sure I can think of others, but this is the example that come to mind.

as I said only 2 items had identical prices - everything else was either cheaper here or cheaper in UK. Potentially you could take 15 items that were cheaper in the UK and state that prices were cheaper in UK by 10% and the same way you could take 15 items that were cheaper in Ireand and state that Irish shopping is cheaper by 10%.

On listerine - there are a huge number of variants. You are comparing the most expensive variant with a mid range variant.

PRECISE comparison is as follows - and this shows the weird way that pricing is done in both markets.

Listerine original mouthwash 500ml
    Tesco.ie €4.19
    UK (all 3 supermarkets) £4.00 (€5.00)
    UK = 20% more expensive

Then compare
    Listerine Freshmint Mouthwash 500ml
    Asda £2.98 (€3.58)
    Tesco.ie €4.19
    On this listerine product Ireland is 17% more expensive

The absolutely easiest way to get best value is to know which products are regualrly on promotion and only buy them when there is a promotional price.

Washing powder, Toothpaste, Diswasher powder, Cleaning sprays, pet food, frozen pizzas, ice creams, frozen fish/chicken. (I'm sure there are more)

all of these products have very long shelf lives and are less likely to be eaten / used just beacuse they are in the cupboard. (unlike crisps which could be devoured after coming in from a few pints in the local:D)

Play supermarkets at their own game and abuse the offers and then get the basics which are rarely on offer in the likes of Aldi / Lidl.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

91011 wrote: »
    Then compare
    Listerine Freshmint Mouthwash 500ml
    Asda £2.98 (€3.58)
    Tesco.ie €4.19
    On this listerine product Ireland is 17% more expensive

The absolutely easiest way to get best value is to know which products are regualrly on promotion and only buy them when there is a promotional price.

+1. As Listerine is being mentioned I got a couple of 500ml Listerines (I don't know or care what flavour it is, it's blue if that helps) in Swords (JCs) yesterday for €2.80. Irelands cheaper :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Crack.

Advertisement