Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feedback/advice on English grinds...

• 10-08-2010 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey,

was hoping that anyone who has done English grinds in the past few years might be able to provide me with some information regarding their own experiences of taking English grinds. Was there any ways that you feel really helped you learn or anything that you hated? All constructive views and advice on this would be appreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

hi, i did grinds in 6th year! i found the grinds really helpful as the teacher would correct anything you gave her and she didn't apply too much pressure about handing up hw as she understood we had hw to do for our teachers in school also. her notes were a1 standard also and she gave us plenty of them which hopefully benefited me in the lc because there are roughly 5 students in my year who have these notes:) i'm not saying my teacher was bad or anything, but this teacher had been recommended to my dad from a friend who's son had done them previously and english would be one of my weakest subjects!! i can't say there was anything i hated really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mimirose

thats brilliant thanks... am hoping to be doing english grinds and am looking for any advice/feedback to ensure that the students I have will be happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

mimirose wrote: »
    thats brilliant thanks... am hoping to be doing english grinds and am looking for any advice/feedback to ensure that the students I have will be happy :)

oh yea just another bit of advice, the grinds teacher refused to re-correct work that a teacher had already corrected in school. i thought this was fair, she even said it herself that she did not want to find faults with our teachers and it would have been very unprofessional of her also. she was willing to look at our pre's however, as these were corrected by the companies, not our teachers. oh yea and i did the grinds as part of a class, not individually. there was 10 students in the class, i much preferred this!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

i went for grinds in sixth year for english. Tbh I didn't get much value out of them. the man giving them was completely out of touch with the syllabus. He packed eighteen of us into the room and gave us all the same set of notes to learn off by heart. So rather than having any understanding of the course I ended up relying on learnt off essays :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mimirose

thanks guys this is all really helpful! if anyone thinks of anything else please let me know!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

May not apply to you, but in general -

Don't attempt to give grinds to someone with a learning difficulty unless you know what you are doing.

Many parents of children who have difficulties think they are doing the right thing by getting them 'extra' expensive help, only for the child to end up completely confused by the approach taken in the 'grind', making it more difficult for their teachers to deal with.

Advertisement