Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to try your hand at mountain running? Great intro race tonight (Wed 11th Aug)

• 10-08-2010 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭

Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy. 5k up and around Fairy Castle. €10 entry- ALL money goes to aid Mountain Rescue. Details on imra site. What better way to spend a summer's evening?:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

How have I managed to come across this event for the second time in the last 2 hours... it must be a sign! Randomly came up in conversation with the woman in the local fruit and veg shop earlier. I said I'd get involved next year. I've never done a mountain race before. Tomorrow might be a good opportunity to see what it's like... I must do something about my rubber elbow!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Hmm... I'm tempted too...
    It might be a nice distraction from the marathon training:p

So donothoponpop,any idea where the start is and how long we need to be there before the start for registration? (or are you not the person to be talking to on this?:D)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'd loooove too but not sure if I can get out there on time. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

I'd loooove too but not sure if I can get out there on time. :(

Is there any event you won't have a go at, would have thought 5k was a bit short for you :D

I'll defo have a go at the IMRA races next year

They've added a detailed map link to Forum in the IRMA site for the start, and the entry fees are taken from 6:15.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I actually don't know anything official about the event Emer, but here's a map to the car park and the start. For anyone unfamiliar with the area, its off 2k up the road by Taylor's pub at the top of Marlay Park. You could also park in the top car park in Marlay and jog up. If the race is at 7:30, you should try to be there for registration as much before 7pm as you can, although I'd imagine they'll be a bit flexible for this one.

If tomorrow evening is anything like tonights, it will be a magical experience- views all over Dublin, good route, and not too tough. Imra-organized races are the best in the country. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Peterx

It should be great fun and you can drive to the back of the mountains after the race and watch the meteor showers light up the night sky away from the city lights as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Peterx wrote: »
    watch the meteor showers light up the night sky

Such a romantic. :D

Peterx wrote: »
    drive to the back of the mountains after the race and watch the meteor showers light up the night sky away from the city lights as well.

Haha that sounds like a beautiful idea! Ok I packed a bag and left it in the car. Decision will be made later... I’m such a demon. I forgot I was supposed to be meeting someone for a walk later but I’m trying to get out of that to facilitate either this, my first, mountain run (yikes) or my first set of intervals ever (double yikes!)

donothoponpop - you're really selling this one to me!

claralara wrote: »
    donothoponpop - you're really selling this one to me!

Haha! Well if it helps any more:

*the organization will be first-class by experienced volunteers
    *the athmosphere will be very friendly
    *no better race to introduce yourself to mountain running
    *100% of entry fee will go to a great cause (Mountain Rescue)
    *its (only) 5k, along great routes, with great views
    *weather looks set to be spectacular
    *you might even score and get to head to "Meteor Point Make-Out Zone";)

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Hope to see some new faces there tonight. I've come across a few people who have said "I'll try a mountain run next year." Why put it off?! Do one this year! Great craic.

I'll be wearing a red cap. Say hello!

Haha! Well if it helps any more:

*the organization will be first-class by experienced volunteers
    *the athmosphere will be very friendly
    *no better race to introduce yourself to mountain running
    *100% of entry fee will go to a great cause (Mountain Rescue)
    *its (only) 5k, along great routes, with great views
    *weather looks set to be spectacular
    *you might even score and get to head to "Meteor Point Make-Out Zone";)

Best of luck!

Ok sold! From both of you. I’m in! If only for the score at view point! At worst the meteors can light my way down when the sun goes down!!

Now it’s time to start bricking it. :) Fingers crossed there’ll be other first timers…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Sounds like a good one.

Hope to make it up with a couple of friends.
    Never did a mountain run before so should be interesting.
    Really hope the rain holds off for this.

Yes! Another first timer!

Enjoy! Try cross the finish line on 2 legs this week....;)

Yes! Another first timer!

Enjoy! Try cross the finish line on 2 legs this week....;)

Ha! very funny :p
    Good advice though, as mountains do tend to have more rocks than parks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great to see a decent crowd out to support mountain rescue. Good Boards turn out. Well done all, particularly those new to the hills.

I gave someone in a red hat and big grin and a wave but then as I was driving out I saw about 3 more red hats so… Great fun last night. Tough but worth it. Thanks for the encouragement. I daresay I’ll go back for more punishment and pain in the future. A few more ‘easy’ ones first though. Did I hear a mention of the same one going ahead next Wednesday?

Well done everyone :)

Great race!
    First attempt at a mountain race and I had no idea what I was in for. I was surprised at how rough the terrain was, but that made it all the more fun.
    Had to laugh after the first climb when I looked up and saw an even bigger one coming. Managed to run at a nice pace all the way up though.
    The decent was mental and the flat parts in between were great for making up time. Finished strong and fast....and on two feet this time :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Jk_Eire wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing the results.
    Me too. John Shiels photos are, as always, superb. Me, pretending to enjoy myself. :)

Me too. John Shiels photos are, as always, superb. Me, pretending to enjoy myself. :)

Yeah great photos. Here's me with a vicious stitch and trying not to laugh at the camera.
    I'm a couple of photos after you so I must have been right behind you.

• Advertisement

Jk_Eire wrote: »
    Yeah great photos. Here's me with a vicious stitch and trying not to laugh at the camera.
    I'm a couple of photos after you so I must have been right behind you.
    And I got slagged about having clean shoes? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

Did I hear a mention of the same one going ahead next Wednesday?

Is this true? It's not on the IMRA site?

Is this true? It's not on the IMRA site?

Maybe they were talking about this one next Wednesday : http://imra.ie/events/view/id/809/

Another fundraiser, almost the same location, but 10km.

As a newbie to the Mountain Running thing, just wanted to say I was very pleasantly surprised at the superb organistion and the fantastic atmosphere yesterday.
    The run was TOUGH! Who said this was easy peasy?!:eek: I'll be feeling that for days! You IMRA guys are all NUTS!
    That said, I did enjoyed myself though :D
    I may be seen at another IMRA race at some point in the distant future, but for now, I'll stick to the roads and parks. (I know, I 'm just a wuss :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

Just wondering, does everyone else pretty much max HR (or close enough) for these races? That climb was a beehatch for a supposedly easy race at 20mins+ constant from the start, must get some trail shoes too, the rocky downhills are a lot more technical, is there a big difference?

I averaged about 91% for the entire race (more because I didn't think the race would have that much climb!). HR graph here.

I think the trail shoes I wore were a little too extreme (compared to other people's choices of footwear). They definitely helped in terms of grip on the rocky/sandy paths, but I reckon a pair of runners on this course would have been almost as suitable.

Hopefully they'll get around to posting the results at some stage. Would love to see where I finished.

Good run Krusty, probably only a handful in front of you.
    was 95%+ (181-5!) for most of the race, although that may have been due to going on the pis* all weekend at a wedding.

Sport101 wrote: »
    Good run Krusty, probably only a handful in front of you.
    was 95%+ (181-5!) for most of the race, although that may have been due to going on the pis* all weekend at a wedding.
    Was I talking to you before / after the race? You were at two weddings last weekend?

No, that must have been another pis*head:)

• Advertisement

Results are up.

Holy smoke, lookit that Clown go! 4th!

Well done Excuseless (3rd), and all other Boardies.

Results are up.

Holy smoke, lookit that Clown go! 4th!

Well done Excuseless (3rd), and all other Boardies.

38:45 myself. Happy enough as a first timer.
    Deadly event.

45.01 and no broken limbs... what more could I ask for!! :D

Advertisement