Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drumcondra to UCD

Options
  • 10-08-2010 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Inquiring about the distance travel by bus from DRUMCONDRA to UCD Belfield. Has anyone any idea.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

The best thing you can do to get from Drumcondra to UCD as cheap as possible is probably to:

1. Get a student travel card
    2. Get the weekly student bus tickets (€15)
    3. Get the 11/13/16 or other bus to O'Connell Street and then catch a 145/10/46a or other bus to UCD. It would take no more than a couple of minutes normally, to make the change over in town.

I don't know of any direct bus to UCD, but the above method would get me to UCD in about 40 minutes at rush hour, from Drumcondra.

In terms of cost, the bust ticket works out at €3 per day and that would save you around €4 per day day, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

the 11b may come in handy, it doesn't come too frequently but it goes all the way to UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

There isn't a direct bus, dyl10's advice is as good as it gets. Perhaps a monthly ticket would work out cheaper than weekly ones though? Mebbe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

The 11/a goes from Drumcondra to the bus stop right outside UCD at the aib bank on Clonskeagh road. No need to get a bus into town and then another out to UCD. The 11 or 11a will do perfectly.!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

get prepared to wake up very early or miss a lot of lectures!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Depends where you are in Drumcondra. If you're close to Mountjoy Square, you could walk there and get either the 145 or the 46a directly to UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Does the 3 not go from drumcondra to ucd?

There is also a rumour going around that there doing away with the 11 route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭tangerinepuppet

jd83 wrote: »

Yeah, the 3 goes the whole way but it only runs every half hour and it goes via Ringsend and Sandymount so it takes a bit longer. When I had to make the trip I got the 30 day student ticket and sometimes I got the 3 the whole way, but changing from the 3/11/13/16 to the 10/46A in town usually worked out better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

jd83 wrote: »

Not doing away with, but they are changing the route. The changes is centered around the part of the route that goes through Wadelai. Once it get's to the Ballymun road, the route is unchanged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 FlaFla16

Can anyone please help..... I've just got a job in clonskeagh.. right beside the windy arbour luas stop. However, I may be living in Drumcondra and I'm wondering how long it would take me to get to work from Drumcondra in the mornings. I'm from Galway ana haven't a clue about Dublin city, would the traffic be crazy the full way from Drumcondra to Clonskeagh? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Either get the 11 from town which drops you off in clonskeagh at the back of UCD or get the 145, 46a etc to UCD and walk accross campus which could take 15-20 minutes or more and then further depending on where it is in clonskeagh.

I have no idea how big clonskeagh is all I know is the 11 goes there and it is at the back of UCD.

Oh beside the Luas stop - well get the luas from lower abbey st or somewhere along that line you could even walk from drumcondra to the luas line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

83 euro for a student bus ticket *8 for the year = 664 euro. (+15 for student card)

Buy a good second hand bike for 300-400 then spend 100-200 euro on locks,helmet, lights,rack, waterproof gear.

Costs the same (or cheaper) and will last more than 1 year,
    The distance is only 10km one way, shouldn't take much longer than 35 mins for someone who has a moderate amount of fitness)

Definitely faster, cheaper and gives you more control as you don't have to wait for a bus to arrive (and is more heathy for you)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Until it gets robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Until it gets robbed.

I have a bike worth about 2k I have left in ucd during the day (usually 10:00-22:00)for two months (Got a cheaper one for commuting now) I used 2 U locks, they cost about 50e euro each.

If you spend about 50 quid you can get a decent kryptonite lock that'll keep most theives at bay (Need a good quality hacksaw high carbide blade or an angle grinder)
    Make sure you don't have quick release skewers.

The problem with bikes getting knicked is people just using coil locks they bought for 10-20 euro which are a huge pile of ****e. Silly excuse not to cycle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cinderelli

I've been travelling from Whitehall this semester and the 3 bus is graaaand. Granted, they are few and far between, but if you get into a routine it's no bother. It's much less hassle IMO than getting two buses.

Advertisement