Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whv medical

Options
  • 10-08-2010 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

ahhh jst applied online for my visa and its tellin me to enter medical tests and chest x-ray.. :( i thought this was an easy process..:(:(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

I'd say you are applying for the wrong Visa, sounds like the PR Visa.

You should be applying for Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417). I applied recently for the Visa and I was not asked anything medical wise besides one or two generic questions regarding basic health.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

gitterbug wrote: »
    ahhh jst applied online for my visa and its tellin me to enter medical tests and chest x-ray.. :( i thought this was an easy process..:(:(:(

It's not foolproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

jockey#1 wrote: »
    I'd say you are applying for the wrong Visa, sounds like the PR Visa.

You should be applying for Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417). I applied recently for the Visa and I was not asked anything medical wise besides one or two generic questions regarding basic health.
    Not Necessarily it all depends on your application answers.

You still need the X- Ray & Medicals if you state you intend working in Hospitials or with Children while on a WHV.

Nurses, Teachers, crèche and child care are the best examples.

On the visa application what did you answer for

Q25 Do you intend to enter a hospital or a health care facility (including
    nursing homes) while in Australia?

Q26 Do you intend to work as, or study to be, a doctor, dentist, nurse or
    paramedic during your stay in Australia?

Q27 Do you intend to work, or be a trainee, at a child care centre (including
    preschools and creches) while in Australia?

Q28 Do you intend to be in a classroom situation for more than 3 months
    (eg. as either a student, teacher, lecturer, or observer)?

If you intend on doing any of the above work then check this out..

Health requirements

All applicants are required to meet health criteria. Depending on your circumstances, you may need to undertake a medical examination which may include a chest x-ray, HIV, Hepatitis B and/or Hepatitis C test.

All required health examinations must be completed before a decision can be made on your visa application.

If you need a medical examination, the cost is not included in the visa application charge (fee) you pay when you lodge your application.

Health examination requirements are outlined on Form 1163i.
    See: Health requirements information and forms

Note: Some health requirements such as x-rays can take several weeks to be processed—please take this delay into consideration when planning your travels. You should not make arrangements to travel to Australia until you are advised that your visa has been granted.

417 Health requirements

Health examination for visa applicants

Temporary visa applicants

Health examinations will depend on your circumstances, your intended activities in Australia, and your country of origin or residence. You will need to undertake a health examination if:

you are likely to enter a hospital or other health care environment, including nursing homes as either a patient, visitor, trainee or employee
    you are likely to enter a classroom environment, including preschool, crèche and child care situations
    you are known or suspected of having a medical condition, regardless of your length of stay
    you are aged 75 years or older
    there are indications that you may not meet the health requirement.

Health examination for Temporary visa applicants

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

So whats the craic with medical for potential childcare workers in oz on whv?

My gf wanting to find work/sponshoship from her whv in oz after we do our specific work, would that mean she need medicals to do it? where would she get them done? cost? etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

rightyabe wrote: »
    So whats the craic with medical for potential childcare workers in oz on whv?

My gf wanting to find work/sponshoship from her whv in oz after we do our specific work, would that mean she need medicals to do it? where would she get them done? cost? etc...

I shall fetch all the answers to your questions right away your royal lazyness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

You only need to do it if you intend on working in these areas at the time of application. You may not intend to do this type of work but may change your mind when you get here at which time you have already been granted a visa. Does anyone know what happens in this situation? Do you need to get medical and x ray while you're here or can you just work away. As far as I know you can just work away without having to undergo any tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

s.c wrote: »
    You only need to do it if you intend on working in these areas at the time of application. You may not intend to do this type of work but may change your mind when you get here at which time you have already been granted a visa. Does anyone know what happens in this situation? Do you need to get medical and x ray while you're here or can you just work away.

Yes, you'll need to get a medical etc,
    As far as I know you can just work away without having to undergo any tests.
    I highly doubt this, do you have any links for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

If you want to work with kids, in most states you will need a working with Kids card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 E.E.T

Zambia wrote: »
    If you want to work with kids, in most states you will need a working with Kids card.

Hi there,
    First time poster on this forum.

I'm a primary teacher and planning on heading to Oz in June for a year.
    In the process of getting my qualifications etc together to get them recognised in different states.

Havn't come across this kids card on my information travels??

Also:

'Q28 Do you intend to be in a classroom situation for more than 3 months
    (eg. as either a student, teacher, lecturer, or observer)?'

Three months consecutively or in total three months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

E.E.T wrote: »
    Hi there,
    First time poster on this forum.

I'm a primary teacher and planning on heading to Oz in June for a year.
    In the process of getting my qualifications etc together to get them recognised in different states.

Havn't come across this kids card on my information travels??

Also:

'Q28 Do you intend to be in a classroom situation for more than 3 months
    (eg. as either a student, teacher, lecturer, or observer)?'

Three months consecutively or in total three months?

A lot of people here would take it as a given.

http://www.justice.vic.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/Working+With+Children/Home/Application+Process/Who+Needs+to+Apply/WWCC+-+Who+Needs+to+Apply+-+Home

As regards Victoria from the above link

You need to apply for and pass the WWC Check if you meet all of the following criteria:
    • your work or volunteer role involves contact with children in connection with one of the 20 listed child-related occupational fields
    • you volunteer or do this work on a regular basis
    • you have direct contact with children under 18 years of age and are not directly supervised
    • you do not qualify for an exemption from the need for a WWC Check.

If your coming to Oz get used to forms cards, certs, checks, licences etc all part of life here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

hussey wrote: »
    I highly doubt this, do you have any links for this?

No links but I know of two people that got work in a hospital as catering assistants and did not complete medicals for visa purposes. They did undergo internal hospital medicals which is standard procedure for all new employees in this hospital but nothing for immigration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 E.E.T

Zambia wrote: »
    A lot of people here would take it as a given.

http://www.justice.vic.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/Working+With+Children/Home/Application+Process/Who+Needs+to+Apply/WWCC+-+Who+Needs+to+Apply+-+Home

As regards Victoria from the above link

You need to apply for and pass the WWC Check if you meet all of the following criteria:
    • your work or volunteer role involves contact with children in connection with one of the 20 listed child-related occupational fields
    • you volunteer or do this work on a regular basis
    • you have direct contact with children under 18 years of age and are not directly supervised
    • you do not qualify for an exemption from the need for a WWC Check.

If your coming to Oz get used to forms cards, certs, checks, licences etc all part of life here.

I would actually be exempt it seems:
    'teachers who have current registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching. Teachers with current registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching are exempt from needing a WWC Check for any ‘child-related work’ as they are already checked by a similar scheme.'

Thanks for taking the time to post the link for me Zambia.

Need to do my homework on the xray issue though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

s.c wrote: »
    No links but I know of two people that got work in a hospital as catering assistants and did not complete medicals for visa purposes. They did undergo internal hospital medicals which is standard procedure for all new employees in this hospital but nothing for immigration.

That is not the same thing, you are not actually working with people.
    Nurses, teachers doctors etc. will have to do a medical examination.

If you are just working in a hospital then you don't need this.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LittleT

I am a health professional heading to Oz in June. I ticked all the necessary boxes to inform I would be working in a hospital, with children, etc. and was granted my WHV to work in a medical setting without having to undergo any medicals. A colleague who is going at the same time had to undergo all the tests to be granted her visa. So seems it is literally the luck of the draw!!

Advertisement