Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Respraying a guitar

• 10-08-2010 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭

Does anybody in Dublin do it and is it expensive? It is a black strat and thinking about spraying her white???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

population wrote: »
    Does anybody in Dublin do it and is it expensive? It is a black strat and thinking about spraying her white???

Same as car spray really. Anybody you know in the car fixing business could do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 GerryHayes

Same as car spray really. Anybody you know in the car fixing business could do the job.
    It's not quite the same as car-spraying. Wood requires quite different preperation, sealing and finish build than metal or plastic panels. I've worked on an instrument finished by (an excellent) auto-sprayer that had sunken finish and blemishes caused by inadequate prep.

If you're going with an auto-guy for your guitar, have a good chat to ensure both you and he/she is happy that they know the differences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Not even remotely the same as spraying a car. I discovered that recently. I've a shed load of guitars at home, my pride an joy's my Jem 7VWH. A kid I was teaching asked me to respray his battered black strat, and I sad no prob. Stripped out the neck, electronics, tremolo, jack socket plate, and strap locks. Filled in the damaged areas (Which was the simplest bit), primed it with a high built primer, wet sanded it, painted it, lacquered it about 3 times, and put the infrared lamps on it. Which caused the wood to expand a fraction, and then when it cooled, contract again, which destroyed the paint. Had to do it all again and let it dry naturally.

A car bumper I can paint in about 20 minutes once the prep work is done. A guitar? There's at least 3 hours of painting there building up the lacquer afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

I got a local car guy to spray mine after all the prep work was done.
    Fine job with no problems. It was a Jem 7VWH body i bought online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Can't see meself following up on this now. Sounds risky

• Advertisement
Advertisement