Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Playing videos from a USB?

• 10-08-2010 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭

i'm trying to play an avi file from my flash drive but it says i need an update. after reading the older threads on this, it seems i need to be signed into Live each time i want to play an avi but i've got crap internet in my area (o2 mobile bb) and i don't want to have turn on my laptop each time to download this update.

is there any other format that i can use to play videos from a USB drive, and what software can i use to convert avi to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Daraa

You dont need to be logged into Live every time, just once to get the update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

thanks for that GAAman, but i've never gone onto Live to get the update. my bb can't get a signal in the sitting room (where the xbox is) and i don't have a long enough ethernet cable to connect the laptop to it so Live is out

but can you play videos (depending on the format eg mp4/wmv) from USB without the update, similar to playing music from the usb stick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Ah, from what i have read downloading the update to a computer is not possible although i had thought it was, is it possible to move the xbox to where you have the bb just to get the update?

It is possible to stream from the laptop to the xbox though i am not sure if you need the update for that too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

GAAman wrote: »
    Ah, from what i have read downloading the update to a computer is not possible although i had thought it was, is it possible to move the xbox to where you have the bb just to get the update?
    no TV in that room :( and the tv i have can't b.e moved around easy
    GAAman wrote: »
    It is possible to stream from the laptop to the xbox though i am not sure if you need the update for that too
    i don't think you need the update as WMC has the codecs required but i have trouble connecting the laptop to the xbox. not sure what the problem is but even if i could connect, i'd rather play the videos off the xbox. just seems to be a bit of a waste of power. (that's right. i'm a cheapskate :P)

does the xbox suppport any other video format like wmv/mp4 that i could convert the avi's to and play off a usb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

whiteman19 wrote: »
    no TV in that room :( and the tv i have can't b.e moved around easy

i don't think you need the update as WMC has the codecs required but i have trouble connecting the laptop to the xbox. not sure what the problem is but even if i could connect, i'd rather play the videos off the xbox. just seems to be a bit of a waste of power. (that's right. i'm a cheapskate :P)

does the xbox suppport any other video format like wmv/mp4 that i could convert the avi's to and play off a usb?
    the Xbox 360 will supports WMV and WMA files from usb

Advertisement