Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi?

Options
  • 01-06-2010 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

After my many complaints about being unable to get sushi in Galway I've discovered that "The Fisherman" at the Galway shopping centre are doing it. It's not quite the real deal but it's better than no sushi or the kappa-ya equivalents.

Anyhoo, thought I'd spread the word ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 frufru

yeah fishermans got some nice stuff now, cheaper than the m&s stuff and wayy nicer than the kappa ya stuff,
    whats the story with not being able to get real sushi anyway??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

frufru wrote: »
    yeah fishermans got some nice stuff now, cheaper than the m&s stuff and wayy nicer than the kappa ya stuff,
    whats the story with not being able to get real sushi anyway??
    You know it's made from raw fish, they live in that big blue thing to the west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 frufru

you know that kappa ya/m&s sushi has no raw fish in it, its all cooked. tit :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Real sushi = raw fish used.

In last week's Galway Advertiser (27th May), their food critic (term to be taken loosely) Willie Something, sings praises to that place in the shopping centre, mentioning sushi in particular. What I find part funny, part infuriating is the way he explains away the lack of raw fish sushi around here: "We are not quite ready for it here" :( (not verbatim, just what I remember reading).

Why do you think that the people of the west of Ireland would not be quite ready for some real sushi? What could possibly be the reason??

Just when I think I have you lovely people all figured out, up crops another jewel of peculiarity to keep me guessing... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I believe a different license is needed to serve raw fish, and costs more. Obviously fishmongers already have it!

'Sushi' actually refers to the rice, and not the toppings (which are usually fish, but not always).

Thanks for the tip dafunk, I will deffo check it out :)

• Advertisement

geekychick wrote: »
    Real sushi = raw fish used.

In last week's Galway Advertiser (27th May), their food critic (term to be taken loosely) Willie Something, sings praises to that place in the shopping centre, mentioning sushi in particular. What I find part funny, part infuriating is the way he explains away the lack of raw fish sushi around here: "We are not quite ready for it here" :( (not verbatim, just what I remember reading).

Why do you think that the people of the west of Ireland would not be quite ready for some real sushi? What could possibly be the reason??

Just when I think I have you lovely people all figured out, up crops another jewel of peculiarity to keep me guessing... :p

The thought of raw fish seems to freak a lot of people out! It also kinda has the reputation of being a 'yuppie' or 'odd' food sometimes.
    Pity, it's delicious *and* good for you!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

There was a stall at the market last Saturday too. It was my first time there for ages, so I guess it's there every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

inisboffin wrote: »
    The thought of raw fish seems to freak a lot of people out! It also kinda has the reputation of being a 'yuppie' or 'odd' food sometimes.
    Pity, it's delicious *and* good for you!;)

God, people just don't know what they are missing, do they? :) The taste of raw tuna is divine, I much prefer it to the cooked fish. I learned how to prepare it myself in Polynesia, not sushi but just as delish.

PS. For people who eat a lot of big fish like tuna, a good tip I found about recently for addressing the concern of absorption of mercury, is eat brazil nuts. They contain selenium which inhibits the absorption of mercury in the body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

There was a stall at the market last Saturday too. It was my first time there for ages, so I guess it's there every week.

They're from the cafe around the corner from sheridans, beside docs newsagents.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

frufru wrote: »
    tit :rolleyes:
    Slap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Café Wa has sushi too.
    It's ok like.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Sushi is actually the vinegar'd rice and the fish is raw fish is an accompaniment, it is not a necessity in sushi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I saw that piece in the advertiser too, that man usually annoys me a little because I really dislike his writing style, but I nearly choked on my lunch when I read that bit about Galway not being ready for raw fish sushi. Maybe if someone in Galway actually sold it we could decide for ourselves! I know loads of people who'd be estatic if someone in Galway were to sell raw sushi and nearly everyone I know would at least be intrigued and try it once.

I actually quite like the rolls in Kappa Ya and in Wa Cafe (although strangly they seem to be the exact same even though afaik they're owned by different people). Having only 4 choices gets awful boring though, I'd love to see more variety. I haven't tried the sushi from Fisherman but I did have a look at it one day and it was smoked salmon and prawn Nigiri which looked like they'd been sitting there for a while so I didn't try them. M&S sushi isn't too bad, their little box of vegetable rolls is nice but I hate how they stick tinned tuna into everything. I've not tried the Dunnes ones yet because they look gross.

On the subject does anyone know any fishmonger that does fish that's fresh enough for sushi? I've wanted to try making my own but most of the fish I see doesn't look fresh enough

moonflower wrote: »
    On the subject does anyone know any fishmonger that does fish that's fresh enough for sushi? I've wanted to try making my own but most of the fish I see doesn't look fresh enough

I'd say the folks down the docks are the best bet due to selection, but any good fishmonger that gets a delivery of what you want should do..you could ask them what day the different fish come in. Sushi 'grade' is usually a premium cut.
    As for making it, oh you're brave! I have been meaning to for ages! Last time was with an old housemate who was Japanese American, she did it 'properly'
    I remember tables covered with little bowls, bamboo mats, egg, nori rolls and a hairdryer (yup, trade secret!!) I was a bit overwhelmed, but the resulting sushi was YUM!!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Mccambridges are doing it, no idea what its like- i have not tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I buy sushi grade salmon and tuna from Galway Seafoods on the docks and it is sometimes good but usually fantastic. The woman in the shop who appears shorter and older than the other girls is the best person to ask from my experience, she'll root you out the best bits of fish if you mention you'll be eating it raw or will let you know if she doesn't think they have anything fresh enough.

I asked in the Fisherman the other day of they sold sushi grade tuna and they said they did although I didn't buy any so can't comment but based on their display of delicacies I'd be inclined to trust them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Café Wa has sushi too

Have tried a few times,pretty good, plus Very friendly staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

sushi is healthy and helathy in ireland is expensive. irish peopel do not eat raw fish.
    they is a guy at the market who sells it. there is also a japanese restaurant on middle street but its pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Fuinseog wrote: »
    sushi is healthy and helathy in ireland is expensive. irish peopel do not eat raw fish.
    they is a guy at the market who sells it. there is also a japanese restaurant on middle street but its pricey

No, it's not like we have an oyster festival or anything where people spend the whole day guzzling raw fish. :rolleyes:

Guy at the market and the place on middle street are the same price and have the same selection, even though they're different restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

No, it's not like we have an oyster festival or anything where people spend the whole day guzzling raw fish. :rolleyes:

Guy at the market and the place on middle street are the same price and have the same selection, even though they're different restaurants.

you can dispense with the teenage smileys. there are grown ups here as well.

your avergae joe in galway does not attend the oyster festival and does not eat raw fish or oysters. perhaps most peopel who attend are tourists.

the unusal aspect about galway is that it is a fishing port yet fish consumption raw or cooked is relatively low.

not sure if it is true but apparently the prices at the market have to be at a certain level. any trader selling at seriously cheap prices is poorly regarded by the others.

• Advertisement

you can dispense with the teenage smileys. there are grown ups here as well.

your avergae joe in galway does not attend the oyster festival and does not eat raw fish or oysters. perhaps most peopel who attend are tourists.

I don't think that's actually true at all. Some lads I know sell oysters in the market, and when the festival is on, do little stands up town too. Plenty of locals eat them with a pint of Guinness. When Conlons was open and did them, you'd often see people (local) eating them at the weekend all the time. The oyster fest is a bit posh, but Galway people do eat oysters!

And grown ups are allowed to use smileys too in these new times!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Eating fish cooked is hardly an Irish thing. It's not that common outside of Japanese culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

dafunk wrote: »
    "The Fisherman" at the Galway shopping centre

they're open on sundays right? I had lovely sushi in Boston but now I want moooore.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

What always surprised me about Ireland is that this is an island nation surrounded by sea but fish and seafood consumption is low by international standards.

Sushi is still seen here as a fancy and pricey novelty but in many other countries such as Canada, Denmark and the Netherlands it's become very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭LowOdour

A woman was making sushi by hand at the moycullen market last Friday....not sure if it was raw fish been used but i will ask next time i am there!

LowOdour wrote: »
    A woman was making sushi by hand at the moycullen market last Friday....not sure if it was raw fish been used but i will ask next time i am there!

I'd say it was the smoked salmon/veg variety. It's a nutty law for the raw fish one, but it is enforced a lot.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    What always surprised me about Ireland is that this is an island nation surrounded by sea but fish and seafood consumption is low by international standards.

Sushi is still seen here as a fancy and pricey novelty but in many other countries such as Canada, Denmark and the Netherlands it's become very popular.

There's an old thing in Ireland, whereby fish was seen by some as a *poor* food. I remember my Granny telling me a story about how they were embarrassed when they had the priest over, and they only had fish and crab for him, and no meat (This story disturbs me on many levels:rolleyes:).
    It wasn't everywhere, and not always that way, and in even older times, Salmon and Trout were eaten at celebrations regularly.
    Interesting to look at it historically though, particularly as fishing 'rights and access' were severely limited in Famine times too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Isn't sashimi technically the raw fish sushi, plenty of sushi has cooked/non-fish fillings & toppings and is still real sushi. Does anyone know anywhere else apart from Wa cafe I could get some?
    I frequently crave it, have tried the Fisherman sushi but both times I've eaten it it's given me the runs and a really upset stomach so it's completely off the table now.
    I wish Galway had somewhere like the lovely little place near Patrick St in Cork, you can make up your own sushi box and the selection is unreal. I'd kill for some unagi.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Isn't sashimi technically the raw fish sushi, plenty of sushi has cooked/non-fish fillings & toppings and is still real sushi. Does anyone know anywhere else apart from Wa cafe I could get some?
    I frequently crave it, have tried the Fisherman sushi but both times I've eaten it it's given me the runs and a really upset stomach so it's completely off the table now.
    I wish Galway had somewhere like the lovely little place near Patrick St in Cork, you can make up your own sushi box and the selection is unreal. I'd kill for some unagi.

Yes sashimi is thinly sliced raw fish. Sushi is the vinegared rice, raw fish is an accompaniment to this but not a necessity in sushi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

You want good fresh sushi? Make it yourself! I've started as could'nt find any, really easy once you get into it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement