Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

that's usually the problem though - getting sushi grade raw fish...That said, I got some very nice fresh tuna from the Fisherman in the Headford Rd shopping center, and made my own suhsi - it was worth it ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

galah wrote: »
    that's usually the problem though - getting sushi grade raw fish...That said, I got some very nice fresh tuna from the Fisherman in the Headford Rd shopping center, and made my own suhsi - it was worth it ;-)
    It's not a problem, you live beside the sea and there's a fish market down at the docks that sells fish fresh out of the sea that morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Yes sashimi is thinly sliced raw fish. Sushi is the vinegared rice, raw fish is an accompaniment to this but not a necessity in sushi.

Yup, no rice with sashimi. Although having a sushi session with no raw fish would be kinda disappointing to me.

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's not a problem, you live beside the sea and there's a fish market down at the docks that sells fish fresh out of the sea that morning.

Tuna=not so easy most of the time
    Sushi 'grade' especially
    Salmon is easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Funky Kingston

So i'm currently having a major sushi craving ... is Fisherman for sure better than anywhere else in town ??

It's so depressing we don't have a proper sushi restuarant here ... sigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

hollysf wrote: »
    You want good fresh sushi? Make it yourself! I've started as could'nt find any, really easy once you get into it.

which rice do you use?
    where do you get the nori leaves and rice vinegar?

i was talking to a japanese chef and he said the Irish palate is not ready for sushi. too many people are scared of eating raw fish.
    altough we are an island people we eat very little fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Tesco has the rice, rice vinegar and nori leaves. Alternatively the asian shop opposite the connaught tribune offices has them too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

a wee bit out of the city but has anyone had the sushi down in Doonbeg, it was featured on the TV a while back... the Japanese chef there gets the local fish (the slip is 100 yards down the road) and he makes savage sushi apparently.

here's the fella ...http://www.doonbegseafoodfestival.com/?page_id=336

must get down there sometime...

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

jkforde wrote: »
    a wee bit out of the city but has anyone had the sushi down in Doonbeg, it was featured on the TV a while back... the Japanese chef there gets the local fish (the slip is 100 yards down the road) and he makes savage sushi apparently.

here's the fella ...http://www.doonbegseafoodfestival.com/?page_id=336

must get down there sometime...

ooh! I'll keep this in mind.

Oh, now running off to The Willie Clancy for a night has more tempting options!
    Now to kidnap a driver!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

hollysf wrote: »
    You want good fresh sushi? Make it yourself! I've started as could'nt find any, really easy once you get into it.
    Beat me to it, home made sushi is fairly straightforward, and if you really want the taste of raw fish, nothing to stop you putting it in there! I'd advise people to read up carefully on how to prepare it though, cooked stuff can be stuck in with impunity however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

ok, out of the city but worth saying that this is on this weekend...

doonbegseafoodfestival.com/?page_id=44

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭xxGalwayGirlxx

Can anyone recommend where to buy fresh sushi in Galway?

Or where could I buy one of them rolling matts and seaweed sheets?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

By fresh sushi, do you mean in a cafe, shop or just fish?
    You get the ingredients and mats in Tesco for one, other shops have them but I don't recall which. Made some the other day, is yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

M&S

I've had the Cafe Wa stuff & the Fisherman stuff and M&S is still the nicest, imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 a.nidhomhnaill1

Can anyone recommend where to buy fresh sushi in Galway?

Or where could I buy one of them rolling matts and seaweed sheets?

yeah tesco do a range on everything you'll need and all the extras!!

in town there's a shop between mexx and cps and healthwise on abbeygate st....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

You can get fresh sushi rolls in the market behind shop street on Saturday's. Haven't tried it myself yet but it looks lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 m.anna

Sushi rolls at the market are quite nice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

m.anna wrote: »
    Sushi rolls at the market are quite nice. :)

I haven't tried them but look fairly expensive for what they are 3.70 for one I thought is a bit steep?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 m.anna

Yeah, they're expensive. But as a snack from time to time I can pay 3.50-3.70 per piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

The rolls in the market are lovely! They sell them in the Wa Cafe too. The range is very limited but what they have is really nice and they sometimes have daily specials like tuna rolls and such.

Or just make your own, they have the nori, rice, vinegar and mats in Tesco and the healthfood shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭xxGalwayGirlxx

Brilliant thanks for yer help, defo going to go to tesco and give it a go making my own!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement