Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor HTML5 Support

Options
  • 10-08-2010 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

What's up with Meteor and HTML5 WebSocket protocol?

Here's a HTML5 chat demo:

http://dev.xantus.org/ (note: you need a browser that supports websockets. I.e. Firefox 4 or the development version of Chrome)

Works fine over my Eircom Wifi connection. Plug in my 3G modem and it won't work: get a red "Disconnected" message.

The WebSocket on http://dev.xantus.org/ communicates over port 80 (a port which isn't blocked by Meteor, at least for standard HTML communication).

I suspect Meteor filter all packets and only allow through certain protocols (e.g. i.e HTML)

Do O2 and Vodafone have trouble with HTML5 WebSockets?

Also, tried to register with forums.meteor.ie and they don't support either Firefox or Chrome browsers. I don't have access to Internet Explorer as I'm a Linux user. I log in and when I try to start a new post, it keeps telling me I have to log in :confused: Nuts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Is Meteor using a transparent proxy and/or blocking outbound connections on port 80?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭yutta

ethernet wrote: »
    Is Meteor using a transparent proxy and/or blocking outbound connections on port 80?

Mmm. Perhaps there's some modification going on. Do you think them blocking outbound connections over port 80 is plausible? Maybe this is the case. But wouldn't that interfere with other web services? Do you know of any way I can check this? I'm accessing the web via data.mymeteor.ie

Going down to o2 now to get a new SIM and see what their network is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Prabhu Deva

Last time I checked meteor wasnt blocking anything except for TLS encryption on port 25 (for spam filtering presumably). You can send TCP and UDP packets to anywhere, the only thing is you are behind NAT so you don't get a public IP. Even accepting incoming connections work but the connection has to be originated from another phone on meteor. eg. sending a UDP packet from one phone to the next works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 yutta.

Last time I checked meteor wasnt blocking anything except for TLS encryption on port 25 (for spam filtering presumably). You can send TCP and UDP packets to anywhere, the only thing is you are behind NAT so you don't get a public IP. Even accepting incoming connections work but the connection has to be originated from another phone on meteor. eg. sending a UDP packet from one phone to the next works

Hey, thanks for the message.

I actually solved the problem now. I'm redirecting port 443 to 8000 instead of port 80 to 8000.

My WebSocket needs to connect to 1.1.1.1:8000, but because port 8000 is blocked, I connect to 2.2.2.2:443 which redirects to 1.1.1.1:8000. Previously I was trying to connect to 2.2.2.2:80 - works fine over WiFi, but not on Meteor.
    sudo iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -d 2.2.2.2 -p tcp --dport 443 -j REDIRECT --to-port 8000

Meteor must be doing something on port 80. What do you think they're doing?

My network knowledge isn't the best. I've cobbled all this stuff together over the last couple of days. I really should read up on networking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Prabhu Deva

yutta. wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for the message.

I actually solved the problem now. I'm redirecting port 443 to 8000 instead of port 80 to 8000.

My WebSocket needs to connect to 1.1.1.1:8000, but because port 8000 is blocked, I connect to 2.2.2.2:443 which redirects to 1.1.1.1:8000. Previously I was trying to connect to 2.2.2.2:80 - works fine over WiFi, but not on Meteor.
    sudo iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -d 2.2.2.2 -p tcp --dport 443 -j REDIRECT --to-port 8000

Meteor must be doing something on port 80. What do you think they're doing?

My network knowledge isn't the best. I've cobbled all this stuff together over the last couple of days. I really should read up on networking...

Just did some tests myself - port 80 traffic is going through some sort of proxy alright

Saw some strange HTTP header -
    X-BlueCoat-Via: 2F27E9096B73167C

which probably means they are using something like this http://www.bluecoat.com/products/sg. just tried some other ports now (3000 - 4000) and those work fine. also that iptables rule you made will probably be gone when you restart your server.

could you get away with using ordinary TCP sockets instead? or just GET requests over HTTP because the proxy will relay those

• Advertisement
Advertisement