Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What if the FAI asked Mick McCarthy to come back for 2014?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Can't believe The English or Irish thing is an issue. For Fook sake. A former Irish international player and manager is now deemed too English to return to the job he once had. We've an Italian at the moment. McCarthy would be as committed to the job as ANY person on the planet. No doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

GSPfan wrote: »
    Can't believe The English or Irish thing is an issue. For Fook sake. A former Irish international player and manager is now deemed too English to return to the job he once had. We've an Italian at the moment. McCarthy would be as committed to the job as ANY person on the planet. No doubt.

To be honest it only seems to be an 'issue' among a section of Manchester United fans, still worshipping at the altar of Royston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Thats a brilliant point - It's something that I've never even thought about, but now that I have - It can only be beneficial.

Look at the german world cup side

Cacau
    Miroslav Klose
    Lukas Podolski
    Marko Marin
    Andreas Beck

And we all know how much the germans loved their neighbours :)

Brazil and Portugal have players choose one over the other Deco,Pepe

France have had of black players of african decent

Were not the only ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Yeah I think thats it. I've long since fallin out of Love with Roy Keane. Sure he said he has no affection towards United anymore. Here are a few quotes from him. Bit off topic but.....
    "I'm pretty sure they have wiped me from their history and I have wiped them from mine, so I have no interest whatsoever,"

"It's pretty scary actually, I have no interest whatsoever - you move on. You always have a little interest in your old team, don't get me wrong, but I'd have that with Rockmount, Cobh, Sunderland, Forest, Celtic, but if you think I'm waiting and hoping they win these trophies I'm not."

"I don't have any attachments to these clubs emotionally. I'm relaxed about it and all my priorities are with Ipswich. Clubs I've played for in the past? It's strange but I have very, very little interest."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Always loved the big man, who could say no to this face?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Le King wrote: »
    Being 100% Irish, which nobody is, but to be "100% Irish" both your parents would have to be Irish.

Both my birth parents are Irish, I was born in the States. Does that make me 65% Irish or something?

If I lived in Laois but was born in Clare I''d consider myself 0% Irish. :pac:

I was referring to that posters comment that McCarthy is no more English than Cascarino is Irish, which is completely untrue because Cascarino doesn't have a single bit of Irish in him, whereas McCarthy was born and raised in England, therefore he is more English than he is Irish.

Everyone knows the wesht ish de besht.:P
    To be honest it only seems to be an 'issue' among a section of Manchester United fans, still worshipping at the altar of Royston.

Where did I say I had an issue with it?:confused:
    I wouldn't mind McCarthy coming back, because I think he's a good manager, I was merely pointing out a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

GSPfan wrote: »

Hang on a minute, Trap's passion for the job was brought into question -- in the OP -- because he's foreign.

I think it's funny how this thread has turned into a frantic defence of McCarthy when our current manager was the one attacked in the OP!!!

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

Id love to see big Mick back in charge of Ireland, he has proven to be quite a good manager and deserves another go at some stage, definitely would want him in charge than that other rubbish manager at Ipswich, whats his face?? that guy that ran out on his country when we needed him the most, nah cant think of his name, can of worms chap.

Even par time id take Mick back, though trap is still under contract and doing a fine job, it wont conceivably happen for a few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Id love to see big Mick back in charge of Ireland, he has proven to be quite a good manager and deserves another go at some stage, definitely would want him in charge than that other rubbish manager at Ipswich, whats his face?? that guy that ran out on his country when we needed him the most, nah cant think of his name, can of worms chap.

Even par time id take Mick back, though trap is still under contract and doing a fine job, it wont conceivably happen for a few years

Personally I'd be deeply concerned if Ireland even thought of him as a 10th pick for the job in the pecking order lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

Personally I'd be deeply concerned if Ireland even thought of him as a 10th pick for the job in the pecking order lol

who Big Mick or Road Runner?? :D

who Big Mick or Road Runner?? :D

Lol :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'd definitely like to see McCarthy back.

We don't hear much from Tardelli. It's possible he'll apply too.
    He has club experience in Seria B and coach of the Italian u-21 side.

So two excellent candidates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Managed Inter Milan too. And sold Robbie!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Personally I would like to see someone who at least attempts to play some sort of positive football. Maybe get a shot on target once in a while...:rolleyes:

Mcarthy had his time, we need a fresh man. Anyway, his hoofball tactics and general cluelessness would hopefully prevent him becoming manager.

Excellent candidates?

So we want a B-Class manager managing our players again?

McCarthy hasn't a clue for heavens sake.

We'd be needing a manager like Martin O'Neil that has a very good record managing a Top Club in a Top League.

Those pair you've mentioned are Division 1 managers at best - Just my 2 cents.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Excellent candidates?

We'd be needing a manager like Martin O'Neil that has a very good record managing a Top Club in a Top League.

Those pair you've mentioned are Division 1 managers at best - Just my 2 cents.

I agree McCarthy is clueless. But then I don't rate O'Neil an awful lot either.

I can't seem too think of any young Irish managers that play positive football.

DB10 wrote: »

My point on O'Neill is that should be the type of manager's credentials we should be looking for.

Can't believe anyone in their right mind would even suggest Mick McCarthy....

Whats next, Big Jack:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

johnnyjb wrote: »
    Regarding the English - Irish debate, if my children were born in england for whatever reason i would consider them irish, technically they were born on foreign soil and would be entitled to that nationality ( i think ) Would people call there children or grandchildren foreigners and would you want your children to be able to play for ireland.

Every country has different social and economical issues and we are a nation of emmigrators ( every 20 years or so )

Whether people like to admit it or not in the future there will be more foreign blood in the irish team from alot of our african , polish etc.. visitors. It might help us though

But you can't say like someone said that a persons place of birth and where they have lived all their life has zero relevance and has no impact on their character. Big Mick example, you can't say that having been born and raised in the North of England he has no North of England traits, people have to acknowledge this, I can't see why people can't acknowledge this, is it so bad?

I'm born and bred in Ireland, my dad was South African, I have never been there, am I 100% South African?

I actually thought Big Mick did well in the 2002 World Cup campaign or am I forgetting something, badly treated imo, couldn't see him wanting to come back now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,018 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Excellent candidates?

DB10 wrote: »

So you both say a Premier League manager is 'clueless':eek:

I'd suggest there is more football knowledge in one of his farts than either of you possess based upon your comments.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

My point on O'Neill is that should be the type of manager's credentials we should be looking for.

Can't believe anyone in their right mind would even suggest Mick McCarthy....

Whats next, Big Jack:D
    Do you think a top manager would want to manage us? We're hardly much of a temptation.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'd be happy to see Big Mick as our next manager. He certainly wasn't the greatest manager in the world during his first reign and we missed out on a fair few tournaments that we should have been reaching but I think he'd do a much better job now. If he was to take over in 2012 he'd have gained 10 more years' managerial experience. When he first took over he'd managed for four years. He'd have 16 by the time the position is next open. Huge difference. He also strikes me as the kind of guy who wouldn't put a personal disagreement ahead of the good of the country.

Do you think a top manager would want to manage us? We're hardly much of a temptation.

Would agree with you, if Ireland were to make a tournament that would be an achievement you are simply not going to get a top manager in the prime of his career wanting to take the job, what could he hope to achieve with the team? You also have to take into account what salary could be paid.

As said I would be surprised if Big Mick came back, can't really think off hand of any Irish manager out there, I know people have mentioned O'Leary but he has been out of the game for a long time down and feel his achievements at Leeds were over played.

Really think you would be looking at the likes of Paul Jewell etc...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

flahavaj wrote: »
    He'd be better than Liam Brady anyway who has his beady little eyes on Trap's job when he finishes up.

that'd be such a joke if he was put in charge. hes not a manager of this day and age nor could he be, despite his good work at arsenal

eagle eye wrote: »
    So you both say a Premier League manager is 'clueless':eek:

I'd suggest there is more football knowledge in one of his farts than either of you possess based upon your comments.

On McCarthy...

He is a manager that at best will be trying to get over that last minute hurdle of surviving a relegation battle.

Does anybody see him even having a chance of getting a job at the likes of Villa??

I very much doubt it, If we get him its 2 steps back.

Typical FAI.

Possible not - Thats not the point though, you've got to look for the best out there - Going back to McCarthy imo would mean 0 chance of qualification with a fledgling squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He was an absolute hero in the green shirt as a player, bravery personified. The likes of him and Kilbane have clearly assimilated themselves with such a strong sense of Irishness throughout their lives as to render their place of birth utterly irrelevant.

You see posts like the above on this forum all the time. Boiling down the concept of nationhood to a simple question of where one happened to be born is the worst type of narrow minded simplicity.

Post of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

OPENROAD wrote: »

I'm born and bred in Ireland, my dad was South African, I have never been there, am I 100% South African?

Im not saying he is 100 % irish he talks with an english accent. Im saying we should give emmigrants children a chance. Like i said, say if you like rugby and your father urged you, would you play for south africa.Its an option not a rule

Advertisement