Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop booting problem - advice needed

Options
  • 10-08-2010 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Heres my situation. Ive a HP DV6599 laptop, it came with Vista 32 bit installed from factory about 2 1/2 years ago. I updated most drivers and the bios while on Vista 32 bit trying to improve performance and fix bugs etc from the HP website. I have since upgraded to Win 7 64 bit and almost everything is fine. The problem is from time to time I get boot problems e.g. the HP screen will load and freeze and not load the operating system giving different errors such as 'operating system not found' or just staying on the HP screen and emit a beep.

Having looking at the HP website there appears to be an update for the bios possibly addressing this issue, the only problem is its listed as a Vista 32 bit update (there is also a 64 bit available). My question is can I install this bios update even though its for Vista? From the site HP say that they are not providing support for all laptops upgraded to Win7 bar a small few they have listed, of which mine is not included.

Any help appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

I suppose you can try. If the update is incompatible with Windows 7 it will simply refuse to run. The BIOS code itself will not be a problem since it's the same not matter what OS you're running.

If the Vista one won't work then we'll look at alternative ways of doing the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Cheers for the help it worked fine. Just wanted to make sure I didn't f up my laptop!

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

You're welcome, glad to be a help.

Advertisement