Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knocking noise.

• 10-08-2010 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hello,

I have an 98 Almera GX and I'm getting a knocking noise sometimes when I make a loaded right turn, on a rear wheel. Would I be right in saying that its a CV problem, and if so, how much would one generally cost to repair?

Thanks!

Or in fact a bearing replacement even!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A wonky rear bearing is best tested by jacking the back end and spinning the wheels (handbrake fully off first!) if you detect any graunching/grinding sound and lack of free spinning its the bearing, just check the rear brakes are fully disengaged as well by looking at the disk/pad gap (do you have rear disks or drums?) The back end does not have CVs. I'd check online UK suppliers for a kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Benbolo

Nice one, I'll check that out tomorrow. They're drum brakes alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Remember to fully release the handbrake :) (put brick/block in front of front wheel to be sure)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Benbolo wrote: »
    Nice one, I'll check that out tomorrow. They're drum brakes alright.

told ya ha ha ha

You can do it for me while I'm at work Martron!

• Advertisement

Ok so I jacked up the car, the rear left spins, but not freely and there's a rubbing noise on every rotation, as in a rubbing sound that sounds like someone has applied the brakes a tiny bit. Theres no play in the wheel, and it spins straight. Still a bearing problem?

Advertisement