Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help I'm confused!

• 10-08-2010 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to upgrade to a DSLR and have been reading through old threads here and countless reviews and comparisons etc, and getting more confused!
    Any way I am willing to spend up to €750 on a new camera and am tempted by the Sony Nex-5 or the the canon 500D or are there anything out there that would be better value.
    I would be grateful for advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I'd advise you to go over to adverts.ie and check out the photography section there. Canon and Nikon are better ones to go for for the simple reason that it is so much easier to get spurious and second hand equipment for them. What are you looking to get out of your camera, family shots or are you looking to really get into it with sports or lanscape etc, this will have an impact in what you require, is your 750 for the camera alone or to include lenses and cards also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

I'd advise you to go over to adverts.ie and check out the photography section there. Canon and Nikon are better ones to go for for the simple reason that it is so much easier to get spurious and second hand equipment for them. What are you looking to get out of your camera, family shots or are you looking to really get into it with sports or lanscape etc, this will have an impact in what you require, is your 750 for the camera alone or to include lenses and cards also?
    Thanks for the reply, family shots plus landscape and the odd sports but not too serious yet. Wouldn't like to spend anything over €900 for all included, and would need help on adverts.ie to pick the right one!
    I really am a novice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I dont know too uch abotu canon as I am a nikon user. If you are a beginner you should be ok getting a kit lens which is generally 3.5-5.6 apereture. If you decided Nikon I would say a d200, based on y experience it is a great camera, will be useful for sports as well as family shots etc, iso is ok on it. If you could get your hands on a d300 in your beudget you would be laughing, the d300 has much better iso capabilities and is that little bit smaller than the d200. When buying second hand be sure to ask what the shutter count is on it. Say a d200 as far as I recall averages at 100,00 shutters before the shutter needs replacement, I say average though there is no guarantee so if someone told you 70k actuations then I would hold on for a bit longer but 30k is not bad. A d300 shutter holds out longer I have read 150k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I bought a used D200 for €370, body only, but that was a steal really as the shutter count [which I checked when I got it home] was only 11k. I got 3 x 4GB sandisk extreme III CF cards with it, plus a D200 book. I bought a cheap 75-300 lens for €70 and managed to borrow a kit lens through here :)

It is a top camera, I'm more than happy with it - but as STG states, the ISO handling isn't wonderful, I don't push it beyond ISO 500 if i can help it. But other than that, it's a beast. Tough as nails, weather sealed, can do 5fps shooting RAW and has most of the manual controls you'd want on the body itself.

But ... for a beginner it might be a bit much. Took me a couple of weeks to get the hang of even after owning a Sony dslr.

If it's still there, I'd jump on the D90 package on adverts.ie, going for €700!

Steal. It's everything the D200 is with better noise handling plus live view and 720p video recording. I think it's lighter too, but not weather sealed. can't have everything :D

Advertisement