Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC repair Dundalk?

Options
  • 10-08-2010 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Anyone recommend a good cheap place that will fix my PC.I checked online and see theres one down the Ramparts and another up the Ecco road.Or do PC world do repairs also?Think I may need new motherboard and fan.Any computer whizz kids out there??!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

PC world dont/cant fix their own stuff.
    I would go the other two you"ve mentioned on a no fix no pay basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Thanks.Yeh,Im not gonna spend big money trying to fix this,i'll call into both tomorrow and see what they see

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Check out PC Repairs, guy called Oisín. Though It was a couple of years ago that he came to my aid. He was great, saved my computer and didn't charge a ridiculous fee either. Don't have his mumber to hand, pm me if you can't find him in a local directory.

Thanks,
    Is that the PC Repair centre on the Ecco Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

toby2111 wrote: »
    Thanks,
    Is that the PC Repair centre on the Ecco Road?

Great outfit, Really helpful and not expensive.
    Motherboard might not be worth the bother though.
    Had a laptop and motherboard was gone.Luckily i had extended guarentee.
    Pc repair said not worth the cost,Got new and better laptop free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

A young lad fixed my pc. It had a load of virus and was near fecked but its flying now, and he only charged me €40.

Hi Jake,
    Any contact details for that guy?Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭BordorFox

You should specify what is wrong with your PC/Laptop and we would be able to help you with issues before you feel the need to leave it into a repair shop.

If it is a Minor issue like virus/malware/slow/bloated etc, you could even do a remote assist with a knowledgable person who could fix it remotely without having to send it anywhere.

Teamviewer is free for personal use and a good example of a excellent remote assistance program.

I've used it many many times, it's a great piece of software and if you have a small issue with the pc/laptop, feel free to ask. :)

Thanks bordorfox,
    I dropped it into PC repair centre cos i know very little about computers.Told them not to do anything if its gonna cost me lots.I've backed up my itunes library to an external hard drive but wondering if im able to sync my ipod with a different computer now?cos i dont want to lose all my music

Usually this music is synced to the pc via a ID number called Library Persistent ID, which is usually found in your itunes folder in iTunes Music Library.xml, not your music folder, So technically speaking your itunes dl content would be synced to that ID, and if you got a new system or a reformat you would need your new ID to match the music ID you backed up.

Did you backup manually or have itunes do it? as described Here

However there are programs out there to do this for you, some cost some don't but consist of some extra steps that may seem over technical.

Apple provide a great tool for their mac users called Migration Assistant tool but not for windows.

if you have the music on a ipod, you can use something like touch copy

It costs but you can get a free trial i believe, heres a howto

If you run into issues, feel free to ask.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill bordorfox,appreciate your help.I'm hoping to hear tomorrow if my PC is for computer heaven or not.If so,i'll set up iTunes on girlfriends laptop and download your links.Hopefully it'll all work fine.Just one quick question,will the free trial of that software be enough?Or will I have to buy the full package.Also,will the free trial expire,say after 30 days, and then wipe out whatever I have synced?Financially smashed at the moment!!
    PS-I backed up manually to external hard drive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

What ever PC repair centre quote you id be able to beat im in dundalk and do computer repairs feel free to pm me.

Cheers nightrider,
    Well,I told them to ring me before they do anything.But if they diagnose a problem and I take PC off them,will they still not charge me?Or is it free for a diagnosis?

Diagnosis shold be free any were ive worked diagnosis was always free.

Sound,are you based in Dundalk?

Im near the train staion just tell them that its your girlfriends pc and you would have to ask her if she wanted to go ahead with the repair or something along them lines

OK,i'll pm you if they get back to me tomorrow,cheers

Thanks a mill bordorfox,appreciate your help.I'm hoping to hear tomorrow if my PC is for computer heaven or not.If so,i'll set up iTunes on girlfriends laptop and download your links.Hopefully it'll all work fine.Just one quick question,will the free trial of that software be enough?Or will I have to buy the full package.Also,will the free trial expire,say after 30 days, and then wipe out whatever I have synced?Financially smashed at the moment!!
    PS-I backed up manually to external hard drive

Nah, it probally just has a limiter of how much it can transfer, it can't literally undo what it has done while on trial, it would be classed as malware then.

Most hardware issues with your pc are apparent, they will give specific errors, and that hardware will just stop working or show obvious signs of malfunction, if your pc is just slow or infected with virii or malware, it can be fixed up remotely either by me or anybody else that offers, very easy and you get to see all things done to prevent such things in the future.

as for the itunes, if it comes that you will have to restore manually, let me know n i will help you out.

ps, what is the pc specifications, windows version, RAM/memory etc?

Its a Dell t7570,running windows xp.Couldnt tell you about RAM/memory,I'm not very computer literate at all.It defo doesnt seem like a virus or software problem,its hardware.It was making beebing noises previous to this,then it fell on the floor(just a wee fall off lower shelf).Every time I turned it on,orange light appeared at front and the fan went ballistic,sounded like it was gonna take off,really loud whirring noise.My bro reckons its the motherboard and the fan that are banjaxed,which he says is a major job,is it?It an oldish PC but my main concern is losing my iTunes library and syncing iPhone with a different computer.If this one is shagged,i'd only be looking at a basic second hand PC or laptop,if i could source one for a decent price.I've a bad feeling the one I left in is bust for good!Ill hopefully know more tomorrow when PC Repair get back to me.Thanks for your help so far,appreciate it.

Guy from PC repair rang,motherboard banjaxed,said it will be about €200 to fix.So I told him no chance,cant afford to pay that.So whats my option now?Get a cheap second hand dell and put old hard drive into it?

• Advertisement

Ask him/her what exactly is wrong with the mainboard, personally when i hear someone say that usually means "I don't know whats wrong", rip it out and put in a new one and charge the sucker.

If they start beating around the bush, just tell them you don't want them to do anything with it and go get it back, you could get a brand new pc for just under double that, Used for a little less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

BordorFox wrote: »
    Ask him/her what exactly is wrong with the mainboard.
    +1

Does it boot up at all, can you access the BIOS menu ?

Sorry guys,I picked it up before your replies.No,doesnt boot up at all,orange light comes on,says no signal on monitor.So,whats my options now.I cant afford to spend much money at all to fix it.Is there anywere that sells cheap basic computers?!!

Sorry guys,I picked it up before your replies.No,doesnt boot up at all,orange light comes on,says no signal on monitor.So,whats my options now.I cant afford to spend much money at all to fix it.Is there anywere that sells cheap basic computers?!!
    Whats your budget and is it a PC or Laptop your after ?

Budget?Honestly under 100 euro.I know thats prob not gonna get me anything but all I use computer for is internet and itunes so I dont want/need a top of the range,full spec machine.My bro managed to get the broken one for free as his work were throwing old ones out.He wiped everything off it and gave it to me.But,dont think they've anymore left over now.
    PC or laptop doesnt matter,I presume second hand PC's are cheaper than laptops?

Best to have a look on www.adverts.ie

OK,thanks hellboy.
    Is there anything that I should look out for?Minimum requirements cos I dont want to buy a clapped out,slow,waste of time of a machine!

All you need is the tower as you have a monitor, you should be able to get up to a P4 3Ghz with 1GB Ram and 80GB+ HDD for round €100, you may get better too, you'll just have to look round on the various sale sites.

Thanks.
    Looked at adverts.ie and donedeal.ie but doesnt seem to be anything out there at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

http://www.adverts.ie/274127/desktops/fujitsu-siemens-scaleo-p/

This might do you, you'd need to pop a hard drive in to it. But for your budget not sure you would get much else.

/edit this is even better

http://www.adverts.ie/273932/desktops/dell-optiplex-gx280-p-4-300ghz-xp-pro-512mb-ram-160gb-hd/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement