Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the story with the TUC crackers?

Options
  • 10-08-2010 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

How come they are so expensive in the republic and lidl, aldi, tesco etc all charge very similar high price compared to the north. I am talking 1.69 euros.
    While in north they are less than a pound, what is going on, I fecking love TUC crackers:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Doesn't bother me, cos they're rubbish. Salty re-constituted sawdust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

current price in asda & tesco is £1.05 (moneysupermarket.com) (€1.30)

Current price in south is about €1.69

Vat in north = 0%
    Vat in south = 13.5%

However there is another difference.

Jacobs TUC in UK & NI are made by United Biscuits group (Mc Vities) since 2004 when united biscuits took over Jacobs UK business.

Jacobs TUC in Ireland are made by Jacob Fruitfield Group to the original recipe. Jacob Fruitfield is an independent Irish company who bought Jacobs Irish business from Danone in 2004. - Though I don't think Jacobs manufacture any biscuits except their premium range in Ireland anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

I don't think Jacobs manufacture any biscuits except their premium range in Ireland anymore

As far as I know Jacobs only get there wafers manufactured in Ireland now all other manufacturing is done overseas

As far as I know Jacobs only get there wafers manufactured in Ireland now all other manufacturing is done overseas

Wafers are made in Gweedore

Premium Oaty type biscuits are made by Seymours in West Cork.

Jams are made in Drogheda

Everything else is made outside Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

91011 wrote: »
    current price in asda & tesco is £1.05 (moneysupermarket.com) (€1.30)

Current price in south is about €1.69

Vat in north = 0%
    Vat in south = 13.5%

However there is another difference.

Jacobs TUC in UK & NI are made by United Biscuits group (Mc Vities) since 2004 when united biscuits took over Jacobs UK business.

Jacobs TUC in Ireland are made by Jacob Fruitfield Group to the original recipe. Jacob Fruitfield is an independent Irish company who bought Jacobs Irish business from Danone in 2004. - Though I don't think Jacobs manufacture any biscuits except their premium range in Ireland anymore.

We live in the EU. So why can't the TUC crackers be bought from the UK and sold here.
    Its a cartel. Prices fixed in all supermarkets.

• Advertisement

mcwhirter wrote: »
    We live in the EU. So why can't the TUC crackers be bought from the UK and sold here.
    Its a cartel. Prices fixed in all supermarkets.

How on earth can it be a cartel?

The Irish company OWNS the brand in Ireland and if United Biscuits tried to sell their version it would be classed as passing off and is illegal.

Same with Batchelors Peas / Beans - Local Irish company owns brand, but there is a similar brand in UK.

Same with Bulmers - When Bulmers wanted to sell their cider in the UK they had to re-brand it as Magners as there is another company that owns the name "Bulmers" in uk.

Same with Pennys. In the UK they trade as Primark as JC Penny (the US giant) has JC Penny registered in the UK.

Its not called a cartel - its simply protecting your brand which you've built up and marketed over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

91011 wrote: »
    How on earth can it be a cartel?

The Irish company OWNS the brand in Ireland and if United Biscuits tried to sell their version it would be classed as passing off and is illegal.

Same with Batchelors Peas / Beans - Local Irish company owns brand, but there is a similar brand in UK.

Same with Bulmers - When Bulmers wanted to sell their cider in the UK they had to re-brand it as Magners as there is another company that owns the name "Bulmers" in uk.

Same with Pennys. In the UK they trade as Primark as JC Penny (the US giant) has JC Penny registered in the UK.

Its not called a cartel - its simply protecting your brand which you've built up and marketed over the years.

But, if Tuc crackers for example or sold cheaper in the UK, why can they not be imported into Ireland and sold here. Why do we have to buy the irish made version?
    If it is travel costs etc, then how does northern ireland shops sell for the same price as GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Thats some Tucing price difference. :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

But, if Tuc crackers for example or sold cheaper in the UK, why can they not be imported into Ireland and sold here. Why do we have to buy the irish made version?
    If it is travel costs etc, then how does northern ireland shops sell for the same price as GB.

They could be sold here, but they would have to be rebranded because there is already a Tuc brand here.

Becasue Jacob Fruitfield put a lot of money into promotion of the brand and this is obviously part of the reason they are quite pricey. (price has gone up to 1.99 in Lidl & Tesco) Also the Jacobs Ireland product is a different recipe and tastes different to the UK version which is made to a different recipe.

As Maxtard said, they could be rebranded, just like Irish Bulmers is sold as Magners in NI & UK. But for a market the size of Ireeland it simply is not worth it and the cost of rebranding for a small amrket would peobably mean a similar price to the Irish TUC anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Wafers are made in Gweedore

Premium Oaty type biscuits are made by Seymours in West Cork.

Jams are made in Drogheda

Everything else is made outside Ireland

Anyone any idea were they make Kimberly,Mickado,Coconut Creams now?

I did here south America but cant imagine thats true

Just curious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Good few places like Dunnes n that have the buyonegetonefree Tuc for 1.99 at the moment :D
    But in general - way over priced for what they are.

Anyone any idea were they make Kimberly,Mickado,Coconut Creams now?

I did here south America but cant imagine thats true

Just curious

It seems Jacobs use quite a few different facilities to make different products - depending on the speciality of the product.

Oter weird ones are

Catch bars are made in Trinidad (always have been)

Tic Tacs are made in both China and Cork!:D

Advertisement