Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dont have a clue

• 10-08-2010 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭

Hello folks. Hope you can help with some advice.

My P.C scren has lines running through it, not quite pixaled but just coloured line from top to bottom.

Its intermitant, started a few weeks ago and went but is back now. I did get a message about updating display drivers and followed the steps but as mt title days I dont have a clue about tese things.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

LeoB

[EMAIL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/25899546@N03/4879944115/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/25899546@N03/4879944115/[/EMAIL]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Can you post a screenshot? If this doesn't show it, can you take a picture of it? Have you installed any new software or hardware lately apart from the drivers? Can you look in the Device Manager (My Computer -> right click to Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager), go to monitors -> properties and see the device status, what does it say?

Also, have you dropped your monitor lately? Or spilled anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

try reboot,hold down f8 ,safe mode, safe mode vga mode.
    If it loads up a normal display,its probably a display driver that needs reinstalling .use up down keys,enter, to select vga mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

THANK YOU BOTH FOR REPLYING SO QUICKLY.

The only yhing I have done is check my emails and upload some photos.

lil_lisa I tried to post photo but even that is not going well at moment. My screen I have just posted on flickr Leo Bissett photostream.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25899546@N03/4879944115/

Or you can get via www.stmaursgaa.ie some of my photos are there and their will be a link to my photstream from there

ricman Will try that now............... No joy. Is this a very serious problem or is it fixed easily? Is it expensive to have fixed?
    Do I need to take it to a shop?

Thank you for such quick reply
    LeoB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

It could be a graphics device drive that needs to be reinstalled.TURN ON pc, hold down f8, choose safe mode VGA.
    SEE here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/242676-33-uninstalling-reinstalling-video-drivers
    drivers can be deleted by a virus in the windows operating system.
    say its an ati grahics card ,go to www.ati.com, support,drivers, download your card driver,eg radeon 5700xl driver.
    SAFE MODE, loads up windows with just the basic drivers needed to boot up the pc.
    what model pc is it, try turn on pc,press f2 or del to load bios menu, if screen is normal,no lines,then it means its just a software problem, grahics device driver needs to be installed again.
    post model no,eg dell 470xl,
    if the monitor is broken, well you can buy a new lcd monitor 130 euro approx.
    how old is pc, pc grahics cards tend to stop working after 5 to 7 years.
    try the degauss button,on monitor menu .turn off pc,turn on monitor,is there still lines or just
    a blank screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

You also can try reconnecting the monitor data cable and if you have a second monitor cable, swap the cables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Have you tried another monitor? It could be an issue with the monitor completely.

Also, may sound stupid, can you change the channels on the monitor? It could be picking up a blank signal and outputting it that way. Also, as morgana said, try messing around with the cables. Take them off, blow them, reconnect them. There could be a transmission error!

Thanks everyone for your time. As I said I dont have a clue about this stuff, my good wife would not let me wire a plug:) so hope to have someone here tomorrow evening to sort it for me. Followed the steps but no luck with some of your tips or most likely I was'nt doing it right.....

Thanks again to all

LeoB

Hello folks, got my P.C fixed last night. It was the graphics card causing the problem. Appears to be fine now. I wa stunned at the amount of dust that in the tower.

Thanks again for your help
    LeoB

Advertisement