Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland 5-0 Estonia - U-21 EC Qualifier

• 10-08-2010 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0810/stokes.html

Have to say, after the shambles under don given, its great to see the team get off to such a good start with a new manager....regardless of the opposition.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

LowOdour wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0810/stokes.html

Have to say, after the shambles under don given, its great to see the team get off to such a good start with a new manager....regardless of the opposition.
    Great result, when was the last time our U21s scored more than 2 goals in a competitive match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Brilliant news. I was delighted seeing the scores coming in tonight. About time too. Don't know how Givens stayed in the job for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

Shammer Coleman has a great future ahead of him by the looks of it!
    An attacking wing back bombing down the flank is exactly what we need, maybe with O'Shea moving to left back as Kilbane is nearing the end of the road :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

James McCarthy is way to good for the Under 21's he is better than the centre mid's in the 1st team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It's nice to see the U21's getting a good win. Hopefully the u21's will start getting more results like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hopefully this continues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

its a good result for the team but the group is a write off at this stage.coleman,mccarthy and stokes are to good for under 21's .2 games left against the top two hopefully get good performances /results and take it from there .things can only improve under King ,Givens was a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

yabadabado wrote: »
    its a good result for the team but the group is a write off at this stage.coleman,mccarthy and stokes are to good for under 21's .2 games left against the top two hopefully get good performances /results and take it from there .things can only improve under King ,Givens was a disgrace.

Noel wont be in charge for the last 2 games as he'll be taking the women's U17 team to the World Cup finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Don't know how Givens stayed in the job for so long.
    The association is rife with nepotism and an old boys club attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

The article says Coleman scored but I read it was Hourihan, who was it?

Coleman could well get a fair bit of first team football with everton this season with the pre-season he's had.

• Advertisement

Well I know that, was more a frustrated cry than an actual question. That Noel King replaced him is another sign of the old boys club attitude. Now Noel may do a good job, but Steve Heighway should have got the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Well I know that, was more a frustrated cry than an actual question. That Noel King replaced him is another sign of the old boys club attitude. Now Noel may do a good job, but Steve Heighway should have got the job.

Or maybe Noel King has served his time with the women's teams, done extremely well and deserves a shot with the U21s. Promoting from within doesn't automatically mean that it's some sort of nepotism/job for the old boys. What's the point in working your way up when the big jobs will be automatically given to random outsiders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,846 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Thats a great result well done lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Joe Delaney's son would like to argue that point with you.

An Citeog wrote: »
    Or maybe Noel King has served his time with the women's teams, done extremely well and deserves a shot with the U21s. Promoting from within doesn't automatically mean that it's some sort of nepotism/job for the old boys. What's the point in working your way up when the big jobs will be automatically given to random outsiders?

Well it COULD be an indicator of the attitude still existing. I don't know the man personally and he may do a great job. I'm not as anti-FAI as some but they can shoot themselves in the foot sometimes. They can ignore talented coaches under their noses and promote the less deserving. Brian Kerr should have got the under 21s job when Don Givens took over.

I would have been in favour of King getting the under 17s and 19s and afterwards taking over the under 21s. I'd also have approached Brian Kerr about returning to the FAI.

Advertisement