Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs who have increased their prices recently

Options
  • 10-08-2010 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I used to go to a bar near Dublin city centre fairly regularly but hadn't been in for a while, always found it a great spot for great pint with friendly staff and customers. So as I was passing by the other evening, I decided to pop in for a beer. However, I was shocked to see that they have increased the price of a pint by 20c since my last visit about 2 months ago.

That's a fairly large increase and I don't get the logic behind it. I mean, the pubs are constantly moaning about lack of trade, reduced customers, losing out to cheaper off licences etc. so the Finance Minister reduced the price of V.A.T. in the last budget in an effort to get some trade back in bars (subtext: more money for the exchequer) and warned that if the reduction wasn't passed on to the customer that he would reverse it.

Now, I haven't seen many (if any) reductions since then. Most places maybe knocked 5c off or implemented a price freeze but this is a fairly big increase and the first I've seen. Anyone else know of other pubs who have increased their prices as well? Is there anything that can be done about it? Maybe a name and shame campaign in an effort to reverse the increase? I don't know if you can or if there is any point in reporting them to the brewery, press, consumer authorities etc.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Philsopher wrote: »
    Is there anything that can be done about it?
    Don't drink there, that's all.

It's simple market economics: if people spend the extra 20c on the beer then it proves that it was a justified increase. If they don't, then the pub will get the message.

The most important thing you can do to get better value for your drink money is spend it on beer that represents good value to you, and not on beer which is poor value.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Name and shame* them. Most pubs in Dublin have dropped their prices, including much to my surprise, the ones in Temple Bar. I think the only effective way to get them to men their ways is to vote with your feet and wallet.

* <plug>you could always use my pint price tracker site and app to do it...</plug>

Advertisement