Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spoilt or just very much loved?

Options
  • 10-08-2010 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

People often say to me "that dog is spoilt" i.e. my dog. They say it in a jovial kind of way, to which I reply "no he's just very much loved". So what's the difference? I feel being spoilt implies no dicipline, but I would think we do discipline him. For example he's allowed on the couch but he has to sit first and wait to be invited. If he jumps up himself then it's "off" straight away and he has to sit and wait before he can be invited up. What do other pet owners feel?

Comments

I feel our dogs are spoilt rotten but they have manners too:)
    Happy healthy dogs who'll do as they're told, other than that no harm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I think a dog is spoilt if it's left get away with anything, and could have behavioural problems because of it. But your dog sounds fine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Some people think that if you allow a dog in the house, it's spoiled, or if you allow it up on the couch, it's spoiled, so on. To me, you spoil sometihng when you ruin it with no manners because you let it do whatever it pleases and it rules the roost. That's the difference between spoiled and loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I am regularly told my dogs are spoilt, because they are in the house with us, go out everywhere possible with us and in my opinion are well looked after(good food, brushed and groomed by us and part of the family).
    My dogs will walk nicely on the lead, although they can get excited when they see certain dogs/people they like(bouncy, waggy and sometimes what we call chatty), do quite a few commands, are healthy and happy. To me that is normal.
    Spoilt to me is a badly behaved dog that can do no wrong in the owners eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

Some people think that if you allow a dog in the house, it's spoiled, or if you allow it up on the couch, it's spoiled, so on. To me, you spoil sometihng when you ruin it with no manners because you let it do whatever it pleases and it rules the roost. That's the difference between spoiled and loved.

Well said. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

In my opinion a spoilt dog is not an unruly dog. A spoilt dog is a dog that is shown lots of affection and given treats every once in a while. Just like my dog. She is spoilt but is very well behaved.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The local farmers must think we spoil our collie; she is indoors to sleep and we talk to her and pet her... whereas they chain theirs up outside in all weathers, or let them chase cars and rarely speak to them, let alone show them any affection......

All a matter of persective.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I get told my dogs are spoilt because they're allowed on the couch, they have a blanket of their own that they burrow under when it's cold and they have a pile of toys in the corner.
    However they sit quietly for their food and treats, they are not allowed to pull on the leads and excessive barking is not tolerated. Neither is demanding pets and rubs off people who don't want to give them and they're not allowed on the couch when visitors are here, unless the visitor has no problem with it and doesn't mind a dog snoring beside them.

If your dog is practically swinging off the curtains, has absolutely no concept of sitting quietly in company and nobody is doing anything about it, except chuckling about what a scamp he/she is, then it's safe to say it's spoiled.

Advertisement