Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeing forums while banned?

Options
  • 10-08-2010 10:56pm

Hey all, is there any way to see a forum without logging out when banned?
    I don't see any benefit to this restriction and since I browse boards mostly from my phone, I can't be logging in and out all the time cause it's painfully slow to do.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

No.
    I don't see any benefit to this restriction and since I browse boards mostly from my phone, I can't be logging in and out all the time cause it's painfully slow to do.
    That's a compelling reason not to get banned.

Fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

oscarBravo wrote: »
    No. That's a compelling reason not to get banned.
    If ever there was a 'qft' - that was it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Two possible solutions:

1: Dont be reading forums you are banned from all the time! ;)

2: if you go to <anything>.boards.ie that isnt what you are normally logged in as, you wont be logged in i.e. b.boards.ie wont be logged in if you logged in with www.boards.ie.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

2: if you go to <anything>.boards.ie that isnt what you are normally logged in as, you wont be logged in i.e. b.boards.ie wont be logged in if you logged in with www.boards.ie.
    I don't think that's true anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I don't think that's true anymore.

Ahah, it isn't! Blast. Scratch that so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I don't see any benefit to this restriction ..

Don't know if this is anything to do with it or not, but ..

A user could get banned and then lurk a thread just to antagonise a Mod or another user by using the 'thanks' feature in a deliberately provocative way.

I have seen users do this when they were banned from posting on a particular thread, so every reason to presume it would happen also if a user could 'thank' posts on a forum that they were just banned from.

Is that really an issue? Thanking posts?

I mean I got banned for a week and it was retracted 15 minutes later after me explaining the situation to the mod in question. Even other mods of that forum thanked the post I made.
    Had I not explained it and instead accepted the ban, I'd have been left for a week not being able that forum on my phone..

Letting or not letting them read the forum should at least be an option when banning someone and I can't see any argument against that.. For trolls, stop them reading, for regular users, let them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't follow you - you can still PM the mod of a forum if you're banned - you don't need to be able to view the forum to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Don't know if this is anything to do with it or not, but ..

A user could get banned and then lurk a thread just to antagonise a Mod or another user by using the 'thanks' feature in a deliberately provocative way.

I have seen users do this when they were banned from posting on a particular thread, so every reason to presume it would happen also if a user could 'thank' posts on a forum that they were just banned from.
    How could one use the thanks feature "in a provocative way"?

• Advertisement

How could one use the thanks feature "in a provocative way"?

As I said, the same way some users do when they have been banned from posting in a thread but not the forum.

They can continue to participate in the thread by thanking everyone who disagrees with the person they just personally abused.

I have also seen users sarcastically thank a member's posts after getting banned from a thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

OutlawPete wrote: »
    As I said, the same way some users do when they have been banned from posting in a thread but not the forum.

They can continue to participate in the thread by thanking everyone who disagrees with the person they just personally abused.

I have also seen users sarcastically thank a member's posts after getting banned from a thread.
    I'm sorry but that just sounds petty.

I'm sorry but that just sounds petty.

It is petty, but it happens and as I said, it most likely has nothing at all to do with why people can't view forums while they are banned from them, without logging out of course.

Just my personal opinion, nothing more.

eoin wrote: »
    I don't follow you - you can still PM the mod of a forum if you're banned - you don't need to be able to view the forum to do that.

I don't follow you at all.. I was making a point that bans are thrown about too easy sometimes and forcing users to log out especially when using a phone can be unnecessarily harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't follow you at all.. I was making a point that bans are thrown about too easy sometimes and forcing users to log out especially when using a phone can be unnecessarily harsh.

OK, your post was confusing. I think that bans should be an inconvenience. If there really are too many unfairly issued bans, then that needs to be addressed in its own right.

Advertisement