Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiered Internet? Google/Verizon deal

• 10-08-2010 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Google & Verizon are proposing a policy change regarding the internet in the USA:
    http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2010/08/joint-policy-proposal-for-open-internet.html

By my reading, this would allow for prioritisation of "differentiated services", and for wireless internet, providers could prioritise whatever content they choose (to the detriment of the content they don't choose).

To be honest, I've been a bit surprised that we still have such a democratically structured internet, given that the structure of so much else is driven by corporate rather than public wishes. But I'm still disappointed to see this and worried that the level playing field we enjoy today will not last.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Moved from Politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Burt Russ wrote: »
    Google & Verizon are proposing a policy change regarding the internet in the USA:
    http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2010/08/joint-policy-proposal-for-open-internet.html

By my reading, this would allow for prioritisation of "differentiated services", and for wireless internet, providers could prioritise whatever content they choose (to the detriment of the content they don't choose).

To be honest, I've been a bit surprised that we still have such a democratically structured internet, given that the structure of so much else is driven by corporate rather than public wishes. But I'm still disappointed to see this and worried that the level playing field we enjoy today will not last.

I got a two-week ban from the broadband forum for discussing this about a year ago.

This is the start of internet 2 superfast speeds for corporate and government propaganda which we will pay for and real sites will be relegated to the slow lane.

And the slow lane will be gradually phased out over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Burt Russ

I wasn't sure what forum to put this in, it strikes me as a massive current affairs topic though.

Advertisement