Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No power in disc brakes

• 10-08-2010 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭

Just had the most horrible MTB ride ever, worse even than the time I wore out a pair of VBrakes half way around a muddy Ballyhoura.

MTB was unloved and unridden since Feb or March, took it for a ride today and there was absolutely no power in the brakes at all, could BARELY manage a skid, and were squealing something else - both front and back. I've been careful NOT to oil them (and there's really very little chance that oil could accidentally get on the front anyway even from overspray on the chain). Struggled on all the descents, and really tired as a result of basically having the levers to the bars the whole way down everything, and STILL having the wheels turning (albeit slowly, thankfully) beneath me.

Bike is 1.5 years old, last used for commuting in the ice back in jan/feb/march, but was washed down before being put away. Before that the bike had probably about 6-8 mtb outings.

So where do I start to debug this one(it's Shimano Deore - M555)? New pads? Rotors? the calipers don't seem to be seized (without the wheels in place they close OK). The rotors seem to be quite dull, and a bit pitted. The pads were quite glazed when I took them out just now, so I rubbed them together and they came deglazed - but I can still hear them about to squeal just by braking a bit and pushing the bike along. Do they need to be bled? Total oil change?

Argh!
    thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

If you can get the brake levers all the way to the bars then it sounds like they need bleeding.

I wouldn't do any harm to clean the discs either - I use isopropyl alcohol - and try to deglaze the pads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Morgan wrote: »
    If you can get the brake levers all the way to the bars then it sounds like they need bleeding.

I wouldn't do any harm to clean the discs either - I use isopropyl alcohol - and try to deglaze the pads.
    +1

Some disc brakes don't take kindly to being unused for long periods of time, if a bleed doesn't sorted them then a seal/bladder somewhere may be fecked. I pulled out one bike after a few months of sitting in the shed and when I pulled the front brake it spewed fluid right out of the lever.

Advertisement