Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harddrive problem

• 10-08-2010 11:17pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    Last week I had 53.5gigs of free space on my hard drive,this went down to 40.5 today when I checked just now its 38.5,I have'nt installed anything heavy since starcraft 2 two weeks ago now and I defragged my drive the night before that,its seems to doing this alot lately,is it time to defrag again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Your game could be downloading updates
    Other such applications can be updating but that would account for a small proportion of size.
    Clear your recycle bin. Clean out download folders (ie one from browser).
    Clear your cache from your browser
    clear temporary files

Uninstall old programs you don't need.

Really when it comes down to it, is this an issue? There's nothing wrong with space being used and no defragging won't do much use if you've already done it recently. Unless you're really running out of space i wouldn't worry too much.

If it really bothers you try googling a for a program to monitor the space or just go around and do it yourself manually. Take a note of program files and documents and settings (or users folder if you're vista/win7) and see how they change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

if your losing roughly 2gb a day you could have a nasty piece of spyware thats downloading data and filling your HD, download Spybot:

http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-amp-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html

and give your PC a scan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭antocann

dload ccleaner that will sort you out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

try TreeSize Free to see what folders/files are taking up space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Might sound a bit left of field this question, but have you rebooted your PC in the last few weeks since you noticed this?

I had a problem before where my PC would fill up with temp nonsense, and no program would pick up what it was. But after a reboot, my free space mysteriously reappeared.

Just my two cents anywho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭quaidox

also if you are running vista then it's the system restore points filling your drive. you can turn system restore off to stop this happening.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

quaidox wrote: »
    also if you are running vista then it's the system restore points filling your drive. you can turn system restore off to stop this happening.

How do I do this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

???????anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

???????anyone?

Ahem...

degsie wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement