Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there some sort of rental shortage or something?

Options
  • 10-08-2010 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I am currently looking for a 1 bed/bedsit/flat in Dublin (anywhere on the DART line between Killester and Blackrock), my budget is mid-range and reasonable and I have emailed quite a few people now, and I am getting nowhere! I have lived abroad before in a city with high immigration rates and rental places were snapped up there, but really, Ireland in the middle of a recession?
    Has anyone here advertised a place recently, and how quickly did it go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Have you checked daft on this alleged shortage?

Use the phone for arranging viewings. I have never used email as its unreliable in getting a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Ringing around is much better than emailing.

myhome.ie have recently put loads of rentals on their books so be sure to check there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

No, small fall off recently in properties available for rent but still close to an all time high.

rent_c1.png

Thanks to daftwatch for the graph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Took me just over a month (and a drop in proposed rent, in return for 2 year lease) to find a tenant for my one bedroom Dublin city flat; fortunately previous tenant gave plenty of notice, so there won't be a break in tenants. It was the second viewing; had several rediculous rent proposals (500 euro!!) over email, didn't even answer them, only the serious ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

What you might find are people that moved a little further out during the high prices are now moving into more desirable locations where the price has decreased. This could be a factor not sure I know a couple of people who have done this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

silja wrote: »
    Took me just over a month (and a drop in proposed rent, in return for 2 year lease) to find a tenant for my one bedroom Dublin city flat; fortunately previous tenant gave plenty of notice, so there won't be a break in tenants. It was the second viewing; had several rediculous rent proposals (500 euro!!) over email, didn't even answer them, only the serious ones.

Not replying to peoples' emails is ignorant. They may well have been serious offers for all you know. €500 is the going rate - or perhaps "going offer" - for may city centre flats these days.

And telling us that you got offers for €500 when we have no idea what kind of property it is makes your point almost entirely meaningless. It is a perfect example of the cliche about "taking something out of context". Out of context, the absolute number means nothing.

When moving rental accommodation these days I no longer accept amateur landlords. Too many problems, too clueless, too greedy, too dim. No reference to you there sil, just a general comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Not replying to peoples' emails is ignorant. They may well have been serious offers for all you know. €500 is the going rate - or perhaps "going offer" - for may city centre flats these days.

And telling us that you got offers for €500 when we have no idea what kind of property it is makes your point almost entirely meaningless. It is a perfect example of the cliche about "taking something out of context". Out of context, the absolute number means nothing.

When moving rental accommodation these days I no longer accept amateur landlords. Too many problems, too clueless, too greedy, too dim. No reference to you there sil, just a general comment.

OP asked for experiences, I gave her mine. I don't think it is ignorant to not reply to time-wasters, which I think a 500 euro offer on the type of property I have is, based on looking at daft.ie. FYI- 485 sqft, 4th floor, newly renovated, 2 mins from Christchurch in good area. Had 880 euro from previous tenants but knew I would not get that again; advertised at 850 hoping for the best but thought I would settle form 800- accepted 775 euro in return for 2 year lease from single tenant with excellent references.

You are right that I am an amateur though, I am only renting the flat out because we currently live abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fcukthat

Not replying to peoples' emails is ignorant.

I disagree. Some people are just cheeky, stupid or couldn't be bothered reading the add.

When I advertised a room in my place I specifically said NO couples, NO pets, MINIMUM 6 month lease.

Why should I bother responding to requests from couples, people with pets or looking for a shorter period than advertised.

Also some people take the piss. I am totally for haggling etc. but if a room is advertised for 550e it's fair to offer 450-500e. But when people start asking for 300e etc they can expect to be ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ButtercupTheCow

fcukthat wrote: »
    I disagree. Some people are just cheeky, stupid or couldn't be bothered reading the add.

When I advertised a room in my place I specifically said NO couples, NO pets, MINIMUM 6 month lease.

Why should I bother responding to requests from couples, people with pets or looking for a shorter period than advertised.

Also some people take the piss. I am totally for haggling etc. but if a room is advertised for 550e it's fair to offer 450-500e. But when people start asking for 300e etc they can expect to be ignored.

I do agree with you. I lived in an apartment before where I was in charge of finding new tenants and it was a royal pain.

"All bills included in rent".

"Hello, can you tell me if any bills are included?".

"The apartment is located in a terraced house".

"Hello, can you tell me if the apartment has a swimming pool and gym facilities?".

"Due to current tenant allergies, lack of space, and landlord's rules, No Pets Allowed".

"Hello, can I bring my German Shepherd?".

I just stopped bothering.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I have found a great room ect, the only advice i can give you op is ring around dont email as many would consider it rude (with good reason). As regards renters being stupid i have found the oppisite the case many landlords could not tell me the basic contracts they were offering ect often repeating over and over again we have a spare room!

Bear in mind many of these people fell into rooms from mammy or daddy (or from their former construction days) or were left rooms and have no real skill in letting it, dont be dis heartened keep trying.

the above poster is quite right but to tell the truth in my efforts i have found so many greedy and undeserving landlords i would take advantage at all possible times (unless the landlords are fair)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's August, students are looking for accomadation.
    August is one of the worst months for looking for accommodation, well house-shares by universities anyway.

I remember queueing for two hours by Galway advertiser offices not so many years ago to get the accomdation list, everyone did. Bad times :(

But times are better now.
    And you won't find many students renting one beds in the east side of the city.

Don't email, call them.
    But read the ad. No such thing as a stupid question but don't ask the obvious.
    If the ad says call after 6pm it's because the person is in work, don't call them in work.
    Read the specs and conditions in the ad before you enquire on it

You'll get a place no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

In fairness, of all the people I know who rent, all but two or three do so because they cannot afford otherwise. To most of them, 500 a month is about 25% of their income, some of them would earn even less and would regard this as very expensive relative to their actual incomes.

To be honest the problem I see isn't so much a lack of available accomodation as a lot of really obviously substandard slum like accomodation, especially at the sub 700 a month level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Most of the posters have said it all in relation to enquiries: do not enquire via email.

One thing that may be worth a go is to place your own tenant ad on Daft. Tart yourself up (as a tenant..) and see if any landlords reply. Even in a buoyant market I got a few replies this way (mostly from landlords whose properties didn't fit my request, but anyway..)

Advertisement