Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

where's all this talk of College been a non stop party

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

cson wrote: »
    I'd almost guarantee that if you asked anyone in a full time job that'd have graduated in the last 5 years if they'd like to go back they'd all say yes.

Back in college or back in time? I don't think I could go back to college.

I realise I can't literally go back in time (yet) either.

I lived in a party block in Corrib Village when I landed in Galway.. Ridiculous amount of craic.

• drkpower wrote: »
    FFS; what did you go to college for? So you could get a job to which you would just 'show up and get through the day'......:rolleyes:

If it is easier for you to work hungover than it was for you to go to college hungover, you need to think about what you are doing with your prfoessional life. Hint: its supposed to be the other way around.

(And yes, I am aware of the irony of me making this statement while wasting time on Boards while in work - but hey, I am super-efficient and will do a bit of work in 10 minutes, promise......;))

Oh, I just love people who make assumptions. Who says it's supposed to be the other way around? Oh yes, you think so, so it's like that for everyone. Of course.

Where did I give any indication I did that on a regular basis? :rolleyes:
    I'm simply saying that for me, college is much more demanding than work. I can have the odd night out or stay up too late and still function perfectly well at work, whereas it's virtually impossible to get through a day of lectures when you're tired just because it requires so much more thinking. There is no point in being there if you're not taking everything in whereas if you're doing your job well, what does it matter if you're a bit tired? I don't know what kind of job you have which requires taking in new, complicated information every single day, but I can tell you I've never had a job like that. I've gone to work with hardly any sleep for various reasons and got on absolutely fine. I had an observation the day after the work night out (I was working as a teacher) and did brilliantly. Perhaps I'm just naturally better at my job(s) than you are. Perhaps I realise that college and work require completely different skills/functions and that not everyone's brain works in the same way.

I don't know why people seem to think college is such an easy ride. I had to be up at 7am almost every day (and that's the case with the MA I'm doing now), your work is never done, your weekends are never free. I can't wait to have a 9-5 job again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I never really partied that crazily in college, which in retrospect I regret.
    I'd be the opposite, I was out 5/6 nights a week during my time in college and in retrospect I'd rather have had a more challenging degree course that would have meant I'd have had to work more and party less. My entire undergrad (B.Comm) could have been covered in a year rather than the three it took and an awful lot more could have been studied in far greater depth. First year was effectively a repeat of Leaving Cert Accounting, Economics, Business Organisation and Maths. The MIS module only got beyond the absolute basics in term 2.

I'd have left college with less debt and a better degree if the course had been a bit more challenging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Back in college or back in time? I don't think I could go back to college.

I realise I can't literally go back in time (yet) either.

Back in College time, if you get me. Once you feck off to the real world I'm guessing it ain't the same when you come back. You'll be infected with... what's the word I'm looking for.... begins with 'm' I think..... Maturity! Thats the word! Whatever that is. :pac:

As for going back in time; it never stopped Marty McFly. And we all know Back to the Future was based on a true story. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Newtown90

College all depends on who ya hand around with!!

Trust me if your not with a fun crowd college will be long and boring!!

Get with a fun sound crowd mad for the craic and you'll have the best few years of your life:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYx7YG0RsFY&feature=av2n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

It's better when you're like me and hate nightclub, drink at home, have mates over, listen to some Jazz/Metal/Blues/whatever, play poker, pop down to the pub to see one of the local Rock/Blues bands play and that's the night.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't know why people seem to think college is such an easy ride. I had to be up at 7am almost every day (and that's the case with the MA I'm doing now), your work is never done, your weekends are never free.

That sounds a lot more like parenthood than college to me.

neil_hosey wrote: »
    i can attest to the 40 40 40 1.1 method... only way to do it!! :D

Unless you want a postgrad or something with funding and they ask for all previous years' results :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I'm going back in september to college after a few years after my last degree, i lost my job so instead of sitting on my backside i taught i do something productive instead.

Anyway there's something that always bothered me about the Social side to college life which is that there's this myth that seems to be passed down that College is full of parties, lots of casual sex and other fun stuff which when i was a 18 year old lad hearing this was like a dream come true. To my disappintment its never came true which was sort of a letdown after all the talk my brothers and mates talking it up that it a non stop party.

I just want to know is it a load of B.s or Did anyone had the total opposite time to me that it was full of parties and other stuff.

I can not remember if this was true for me or not as I was pissed for the 4 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

bluewolf wrote: »
    Unless you want a postgrad or something with funding and they ask for all previous years' results :(

i got one of those, and i couldn't even remember what i did in college. wtf is a gene, i'd say.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nah I got offered masters + funded phds with my results, didn't really matter, although they asked about it, talking to you in person mattered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

genericguy wrote: »
    wtf is a gene, i'd say.

First part of your name??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

I'd echo earlier comments about the influence of American, and even British, culture on influencing Irish people's expectations of what college will be like. Don't forget that in both those countries people generally live out although they leave college with loads of debt. The flip side is I lived at home and have no debt finishing both my undergrad and masters but I don't think I got the 'full' experience if you like. The ones I knew who had the most fun and the 'typical' college life were the ones from the country or abroad who lived in halls. I think that whole being 17/18 away from home for the first time and living among a hundred other people all in the same boat helps a lot. I have a few friends who did their degrees here and then went abroad for postgrad etc. and they're now having a much better time socially (and I do mean sex, drugs and rock''Roll!!) than they ever did first time round here. Yes there was parties and lots of them but once you've been to a few and realised they're all the same the novelty wears off a little. Don't get me wrong I loved college regardless, had fun, made friends and got a degree along the way but if I was 18 again I'd probably have gone to the UK for the full experience!

Going back once you're past your mid-20's won't really be the same. Certainly it might be valuable in terms of the qualifications you get and you'll still have a good time but if you're looking for the boozefests and orgies you might be disappointed :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Oh, I just love people who make assumptions. Who says it's supposed to be the other way around? Oh yes, you think so, so it's like that for everyone. Of course.

Meowww; where's your handbag.....;)
    don't know what kind of job you have which requires taking in new, complicated information every single day, but I can tell you I've never had a job like that. I've gone to work with hardly any sleep for various reasons and got on absolutely fine. I had an observation the day after the work night out (I was working as a teacher) and did brilliantly. Perhaps I'm just naturally better at my job(s) than you are.

Why didnt you say you were a teacher before; that explains everything....:D

Or worse at college, perhaps.....;) I do have what most people would consider quite a challenging job and I do take in and advise on 'new, complicated information (almost) every single day'. But to be honest, my own view (which is, of course, the correct one) is that almost any job which requires a degree of intellect and concentration - and I would certainly class teaching as one of them - warrants a more 'sober' performance on a daily basis than almost any college course.

The fact that you teach(ed) for a living yet believe that a colllege course requires more thought/concentration and refer to 'showing up and getting through the day' is somewhat disturbing and says a lot for your competence, enthusiasm and interest in the job.

• Advertisement

Meowww; where's your handbag.....;)

Why didnt you say you were a teacher before; that explains everything....:D

Or worse at college, perhaps.....;) I do have what most people would consider quite a challenging job and I do take in and advise on 'new, complicated information (almost) every single day'. But to be honest, my own view (which is, of course, the correct one) is that almost any job which requires a degree of intellect and concentration - and I would certainly class teaching as one of them - warrants a more 'sober' performance on a daily basis than almost any college course.

The fact that you teach(ed) for a living yet believe that a colllege course requires more thought/concentration and refer to 'showing up and getting through the day' is somewhat disturbing and says a lot for your competence, enthusiasm and interest in the job.

Again with your assumptions. You have no idea what I teach (and the past simple of teach is taught, FYI), how many hours, what other jobs I do, what I study. So you might want to stop assuming anything about my competence and performance.

I'm not sure why you're acting like I think it's OK to show up wasted at work every day. I'm clearly talking about the very odd time here and there - after the staff party, for example, when I don't get my eight hours sleep and might have had a few drinks the night before. If my boss, director of studies and fellow teachers saw no problem with turning up tired and a bit hungover one day, I'm not sure why you do. I'm very good at teaching, I have a huge file of classes prepared in advance, I know my stuff and I'm professional enough to be motivated, enthusiastic and put on a happy face no matter what's going on in my personal life. Again, if you're not able to do that, or your job isn't like that, it has nothing to do with me and my job. Again, the MA course I'm doing now is very demanding. If I stay up doing work until 2 or 3 am, the next day is a total write off. That hasn't been the case with any job I've ever done. After college, I worked in reception and in call centres for over a year to save money for my MA. If you reckon you couldn't do those jobs, and perform well, without being tucked up in bed by 10pm, God help you.

Perhaps you didn't have as much work in college as I did/do? Perhaps you didn't have to be up at 7am every day and come home after your part time job (at 10 or 11pm) to complete assignments for the next day? Perhaps you didn't have to spend weekends doing required reading? Most people I know find working full time a piece of cake compared to college, especially postgraduate study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Undergrad - Yeah
    Postgrad - No :(

We don't even get a summer break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 notsureatall

College is a crazy ride in my opinion,I did move aboard and move into halls so I guess I did have the full "american" experience of random parties and lots of casual sex ,drugs,rock n roll etc.Being in a completely new place having to make the effort with people definitely stands to me today.Thank god Ive two more years left of it!!:p

drkpower wrote: »
    FFS; what did you go to college for? So you could get a job to which you would just 'show up and get through the day'......:rolleyes:

If it is easier for you to work hungover than it was for you to go to college hungover, you need to think about what you are doing with your prfoessional life. Hint: its supposed to be the other way around.

(And yes, I am aware of the irony of me making this statement while wasting time on Boards while in work - but hey, I am super-efficient and will do a bit of work in 10 minutes, promise......;))

To a certain degree it is true what he says. I am doing doing a postgrad and I go out more now than I did in undergrad.

Two main reasons being having more money and the other living away from home.

It is also easier to work in the lab hungover than to study hungover which is impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Your mom goes to college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's just about getting the right balance. You don't go out and get wasted when you've an assignment due the next morning or an exam at 11:00. I partied hard during college but i also had the sense to know that if something needs doing then I get that over with first.

Or is that too much logic for students these days :D

Nah I got offered masters + funded phds with my results, didn't really matter, although they asked about it, talking to you in person mattered.

Got a masters easy enough but some sheer amount of questions for phd funding, every single flipping result you ever did

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

I went mad for the first 2 years of college. Drink, drugs and Rock N Roll

I failed the two years! Copped on after that tho

I'm not sure why you're acting like I think it's OK to show up wasted at work every day. I'm clearly talking about the very odd time here and there - after the staff party, for example, when I don't get my eight hours sleep and might have had a few drinks the night before.

Oh stop crying; and stop assuming what I am saying when you are so upset that I am making assumptions about you....... I never ever ever said that you think its ok to show up wasted at work every day. Why are you assuming, why are you being so mean etc etc....:rolleyes:

Anyhoo, what you said was this: It's hard to study properly when you're hung over/tired all the time. With work you can just show up and get through the day.

Now, the clear implication of the second sentence following on from the first one, is that your turning up for work hungover and just getting through the day, is, eh, a little more regular than the annual party. Perhaps you didnt intend that implication but it is what your sentence clearly implies. And given you are so particular about your grammar (taught/teach(ed)....:D) you really should be more careful.;)

But in any case, my issue is not with how often you get wasted; it is with your general rule that it is easier to work whilst hungover/tired than it is to go to college. As a general rule, that is nonsense. There may be exceptions to the rule, but in the vast majority of cases, you need to be and you should be more alerted and concentrated whilst working. After all, college is preparation for work, and not vice versa.

If you are doing a job that requires less concentration/performance than your average day in college, or if you find your job time a piece of cake compared to college, you need to challenge yourself a little more.

It is also easier to work in the lab hungover than to study hungover which is impossible.

Perhaps, but in the vast majority of courses, the amount of time spent actually studying (ie. real head in the books studying) is limited; it happens at certain times of the year or if you are very conscientious, a little more than that. The bulk of the time in most courses is didactic lectures where you sit back and maybe have to concentrate a little on what is being said. But, hey, if you dont get it because your head is a little fuzzy, you can always review the issue again at some later point. That type of freedom is a rarity in a proper job.

Oh stop crying; and stop assuming what I am saying when you are so upset that I am making assumptions about you....... I never ever ever said that you think its ok to show up wasted at work every day. Why are you assuming, why are you being so mean etc etc....:rolleyes:

Anyhoo, what you said was this: It's hard to study properly when you're hung over/tired all the time. With work you can just show up and get through the day.

Now, the clear implication of the second sentence following on from the first one, is that your turning up for work hungover and just getting through the day, is, eh, a little more regular than the annual party. Perhaps you didnt intend that implication but it is what your sentence clearly implies. And given you are so particular about your grammar (taught/teach(ed)....:D) you really should be more careful.;)

It isn't what it implies. Perhaps you need to get a better grasp of English. And if my original post wasn't clear enough, I then clarified even further in my second post that I very rarely turn up to work tired/hungover and you still didn't get it.
    But in any case, my issue is not with how often you get wasted; it is with your general rule that it is easier to work whilst hungover/tired than it is to go to college. As a general rule, that is nonsense. There may be exceptions to the rule, but in the vast majority of cases, you need to be and you should be more alerted and concentrated whilst working. After all, college is preparation for work, and not vice versa.

There is no general rule. You're simply arrogant enough to assume your experience applies to all of us. I don't think there's one person on my entire college course who finds working full time more challenging than college. Perhaps your course was not demanding, perhaps you hardly had any lectures. I've already made it clear that was never the case for me.
    If you are doing a job that requires less concentration/performance than your average day in college, or if you find your job time a piece of cake compared to college, you need to challenge yourself a little more.

I already stated why I find college more challenging and you chose to ignore it. My college day was about 14 hours long. I got up at 7 to leave the house at 7.45 to get into college at 8.45 ready to start at 9, I stayed in college most days until well after 6, then worked in the evenings, then got home after 10pm to do my homework/assignments. Weekends were taken up with required reading and assignments. I have never had a job which required that much of my time and concentration and I highly doubt that you do.

I hardly know anyone who isn't a waster or a spoiled, lazy brat who actually did party their way through college and I don't know anyone who did that and did well. Almost everyone on my postgrad course agrees that working is easier than studying and some of those people are over 50 and have worked as journalists, lawyers, airline pilots and all sorts of other jobs. Rather than assuming that my job is piss easy and I'm rubbish at it, why not assume your college course was a doss and they'd give out a First to anyone?

And it's hilarious that you're implying I don't take work seriously when you spend your working day on Boards. I don't even have internet access at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

It's all about balance and prioritization.

It is perfectly possible to do the drugs, sex and rock n' roll thing through college and still get your firsts. But like, if you're going to miss lectures because of staying out all night, then you've gotta make sure you catch up, and you've gotta make sure you stay on top of assignments etc.

Milena Damp Backbone: You really had ~45 hours lectures a week?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Out of curiosity Milena Damp Backbone, what'd you study for your undergrad?

• It's all about balance and prioritization.

It is perfectly possible to do the drugs, sex and rock n' roll thing through college and still get your firsts. But like, if you're going to miss lectures because of staying out all night, then you've gotta make sure you catch up, and you've gotta make sure you stay on top of assignments etc.

Milena Damp Backbone: You really had ~45 hours lectures a week?

I don't know anyone who got a First and did that.

No, I didn't have 45 hours of lectures a week, but university study hardly means you're free when you don't have a class. For this academic year, I had to be in the lab almost all day, every day, with a break for lunch and yes, breaks for lectures. Then when I went home, I had another few hours to do. An entire night off was a rarity for me. When I was working, my day was over at 5 and the rest of the evening was all mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

It's all aobut what course you're doing and how well you can balance your study/party time.

I love college, love my course and once I get the work out the way, usually as soon as I get it then my nightlife can be as messy as I want it too be :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i went out 2 nights a week in my final undergrad year (wed and thur nites) and still got a first in my degree, in saying that even if i was out till 5 or 6am the night before i would always make it in for first lecture, i think my first lecture on friday morning of my final year was 11am, class attendance at that was usually about 20% :p

at postgrad we often stayed in college doing projects till 11pm but as a class we still found loads of time to socialise. someone mentioned earlier it depends alot on your classmates, thats very true, i was lucky enough to have some great classmates both at undergrad and postgrad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

You must have went to the wrong college. My first time there it was such a non-stop party I had to drop out. Went back and eventually got my degree but serious liver damage.

It isn't what it implies. Perhaps you need to get a better grasp of English. And if my original post wasn't clear enough, I then clarified even further in my second post that I very rarely turn up to work tired/hungover and you still didn't get it. .

Of course it was what was implied. That much is obvious. And of course, I have already acccepted your clarification. But you missed that, didnt you....:rolleyes:
    There is no general rule. .
    Of course there is. College is a breeze. Most people do 10-30 hourse per week. About 26-30 weeks a year. Exams of significance twice a year. Its a doddle. Your course may be within one of the exceptions I referred to, though.
    I already stated why I find college more challenging and you chose to ignore it. My college day was about 14 hours long. I got up at 7 to leave the house at 7.45 to get into college at 8.45 ready to start at 9, I stayed in college most days until well after 6, then worked in the evenings, then got home after 10pm to do my homework/assignments. Weekends were taken up with required reading and assignments. I have never had a job which required that much of my time and concentration and I highly doubt that you do. .
    And i am the one assuming.....:D
    What about a job where you work 12 hours a day all week (including a 36 hour shift between Tue & Thursday), and on Friday you work all the way through to the following Monday evening, 24/7, without a break and then work the whole week Mon-Fri 12 hours a day. And, during that time, you make life & death decisions. Is that sufficient time and concentration for you? :P

Of course, it seems that you need to do multiple hours of personal study time per day to make up all of those hours you do; most normal students can do far far less, and have a good social life, and skip a few lectures, and still do extremely well. But I guess you cant do that.
    And it's hilarious that you're implying I don't take work seriously when you spend your working day on Boards. I don't even have internet access at work.

Yeah, i made that very point myself on my first post but well done for spotting it....:D What can I say, August is a quiet month. And Im getting my underlings to do my work for me, so its all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

My college day was about 14 hours long..

My college week was less than 14 hours long (actual lectures that was) :pac:. In fairness with a timetable like that putting in the extra study hours yourself to make up a 9-5 day week in week out set you up for the year; and it's not difficult to make it to a lecture at 9 if you have one.

As for work v study, if I messed up an assignment/work/missed a lecture at college the only person it affected at the end of the day was myself. If only work operated the same way :rolleyes: I make a balls of something because I'm tired/hungover it affects other people..

Funny thing isI don't know anyone who would say undergrad was more difficult than working. Guess people make the experiences for themselves.

Of course it was what was implied. That much is obvious. And of course, I have already acccepted your clarification. But you missed that, didnt you....:rolleyes:

Well, why are you still going on about it then?
    Of course there is. College is a breeze. Most people do 10-30 hourse per week. About 26-30 weeks a year. Exams of significance twice a year. Its a doddle. Your course may be within one of the exceptions I referred to, though.

I didn't do other courses, so I don't know. But what does it matter? I gave my personal experience, that for me, college was way more demanding than work, and you insulted me for that. I told you multiple times that people have different experiences, yet you seemed so sure that it meant I was a bad worker. I told you exactly why I think work is easier than college and yet you still insisted that I must not be 'challenging myself' enough. :rolleyes:
    And i am the one assuming.....:D
    What about a job where you work 12 hours a day all week (including a 36 hour shift between Tue & Thursday), and on Friday you work all the way through to the following Monday evening, 24/7, without a break and then work the whole week Mon-Fri 12 hours a day. And, during that time, you make life & death decisions. Is that sufficient time and concentration for you? :P

Fell into the trap, didn't you. Do you work crazy hours? Yes. Do most people work those hours? No. But somehow you can't believe that for some people, it's like that in college. You still haven't acknowledged that many students have to work through college, so have their 20 hours a week of classes/lectures, a job and assignments and reading. When exactly do you think they're going to fit in partying every night? Where do you expect them to get the money?
    Yeah, i made that very point myself on my first post but well done for spotting it....:D What can I say, August is a quiet month. And Im getting my underlings to do my work for me, so its all good.

What does it matter if you made the point yourself? You were criticising me for going to work tired, but you can waste your working day on Boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

I don't know anyone who got a First and did that.
    Hi, my name is Herbal :)

3 out of 4 years done, firsts in each year so far, and it's not a Mickey Mouse/Arts course either. Generally, I'd go out to a club/party once or twice a week, and be in the pub 2 or 3 times a week.

You sound like you had a particularly time intensive degree, with lots of compulsory labs. I guess you're just unlucky in this sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

neil_hosey wrote: »
    i can attest to the 40 40 40 1.1 method... only way to do it!! :D

Huh?

drkpower wrote: »

I don't think you count. BTW you should give Robin a break Batman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    I'm sure that there are people who go to college and party the whole time and have casual sex.
    I can't imagine these are the people who do well in college though.
    Certainly anyone I know who goes out drinking the whole time and doesn't show up for classes does fairly terrible.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

• prinz wrote: »
    My college week was less than 14 hours long (actual lectures that was) :pac:. In fairness with a timetable like that putting in the extra study hours yourself to make up a 9-5 day week in week out set you up for the year; and it's not difficult to make it to a lecture at 9 if you have one.

Well, lucky you? :confused:
    As for work v study, if I messed up an assignment/work/missed a lecture at college the only person it affected at the end of the day was myself. If only work operated the same way :rolleyes: I make a balls of something because I'm tired/hungover it affects other people..

It depends what you do though, doesn't it? I'd find it worse to mess up an assignment because I paid a fortune to go to college and those grades affect the rest of my life. I wouldn't have had half the opportunities I've had if I'd coasted my way through undergrad. The worst thing I did while working was program someone's room key with the wrong number, after working a 12 hour shift starting 6 hours after my last one. Big deal, I fixed it within 5 minutes. Perhaps if I were a surgeon or a paramedic or an air traffic controller, I might feel differently. But I'm not.
    Funny thing isI don't know anyone who would say undergrad was more difficult than working. Guess people make the experiences for themselves.

I said I found it easier to have more of a social life when I was working, because I had a) more time, b) more money and c) it mattered less if I was tired. I had to read LOADS in college (undergrad and postgrad) and personally, when I'm tired, I can't take in loads of new information. It's bad enough today, because I was up late finishing something, which is why I'm taking so many breaks. When it came to my day job, I could just have a coffee and put in a perfectly acceptable performance.

Well, why are you still going on about it then?
    Im not; i said a number of posts ago that my issue was with the 'general rule'. Did you miss that bit too...?:D
    I gave my personal experience, that for me, college was way more demanding than work, and you insulted me for that.
    Oh, stop playing the victim. You did more than give your personal experience. You said there was no such thing as a 'general rule'; which of course is nonsense. In my last post, I explicitly acknowledged that your course may be one of the exceptions. Did you miss that bit too...?:D
    Fell into the trap, didn't you. Do you work crazy hours?

Fell into what trap....? Are you setting traps? :D(oh, and you should put a '?' at the end of 'didn't you'.......:rolleyes:)
    For the record, I am no longer in that profession (so whatever trap you mysteriously and deviously set, I presume i must have missed it, right...?;)).
    You still haven't acknowledged that many students have to work through college, so have their 20 hours a week of classes/lectures, a job and assignments and reading. When exactly do you think they're going to fit in partying every night?

:confused:
    When did I ever say any different? When did I ever say that they should be partying every night? You repeatedly give out about me making a assumptions yet you pepper your entire post with assumptions and inaccuracies of your own....! It seems there is an incredibly large chip-shaped item upon your shoulder.

My point (although why I should have to repeate it again, I do not know) is that, as a general rule, it is far easier to party hard (and be hungover) in college than it is in work; I made that very simple point in my first post - to which you reacted rather poorly - and ever since.

prinz wrote: »
    I don't think you count. BTW you should give Robin a break Batman!

Ah, sure Im only having a little bit of a laugh to get myself through the day; I am so fcuking hungover today its unreal..... I wish I was back in college.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Go to Maynooth. Stayed on campus for first year and went out drinking to pubs/clubs three nights a week, house parties going on constantly, all sorts of mischief going on around campus at all hours. Was quite a ride. Did I enjoy it? Yes, but it did grow tiresome after a while. A few friends came down from Dublin and couldn't believe the state of the place, pure chaos! Was a good year though, met hundreds of people and some great friends and got that whole partying thing out of the way. No regrets, eh.

Lecture wise I obviously suffered. First semester was ok, few firsts. Second semester, I attended 10 lectures at most and just about the required amount of tutorials. Basically got up in the afternoon, played football, bought some drink and went out. Was great for a while but then I got stuck in a rut and could not get back into lectures etc. Passed all 7 of my exams incredibly and have a nice house in a quiet estate with two other quiet, nice individuals for next year. I've only gone out three times this summer too and feel all the better for it. Have definitely matured a lot.

Im not; i said a number of posts ago that my issue was with the 'general rule'. Did you miss that bit too...?:D

Oh, stop playing the victim. You did more than give your personal experience. You said there was no such thing as a 'general rule'; which of course is nonsense. In my last post, I explicitly acknowledged that your course may be one of the exceptions. Did you miss that bit too...?:D

I gave my personal experience and the first thing you did was imply I was a rubbish worker. If you think that's normal, I have nothing more to say. Unless you've spoken to every single college graduate on earth, you have no idea what the 'general rule' is. As I said, virtually nobody on my course thinks they have it easier now than they did when they were working.
    Fell into what trap....? Are you setting traps? :D(oh, and you should put a '?' at the end of 'didn't you'.......:rolleyes:)
    For the record, I am no longer in that profession (so whatever trap you mysteriously and deviously set, I presume i must have missed it, right...?;)).

Yes.
    :confused:
    When did I ever say any different? When did I ever say that they should be partying every night? You repeatedly give out about me making a assumptions yet you pepper your entire post with assumptions and inaccuracies of your own....! It seems there is an incredibly large chip-shaped item upon your shoulder.

Oh my God. Just...never mind.
    My point (although why I should have to repeate it again, I do not know) is that, as a general rule, it is far easier to party hard (and be hungover) in college than it is in work; I made that very simple point in my first post - to which you reacted rather poorly - and ever since.

Again, there is no general rule. It depends what you study and it depends where you work. I know plenty of people who had 35 hours of LECTURES during college in addition to all the reading and essays and a part time job. Between having no time and having no money, they hardly ever went out.

I'm starting a full time contract in October, so I'll let you know if your theory is correct. Let's see:

Every day in college 9-6
    Part time job 3/4 hours a night
    Assignments to be finished, which means working until 2/3am
    Reading all weekend, so never really 'free'
    No money

vs

Working day of 9-5
    No part time job in evening
    No assignments
    No weekend reading
    A reasonable salary

I can't bloody wait to enter this 'real world' again.

It depends what you do though, doesn't it? I'd find it worse to mess up an assignment because I paid a fortune to go to college and those grades affect the rest of my life. I wouldn't have had half the opportunities I've had if I'd coasted my way through undergrad...

Why do you assume people who lived it up at college 'coasted their way' through it. Work hard, party hard. They can be balanced. As for ability to enjoy yourself socially there's no contest. If I wanted to skip a lecture to go for a pint I could for example. If I wanted to do x hours of study a day I could sleep in and do them in the evening, or get up early do them inthe morning and have the evening off.

Again, nobody denied there were exceptions to the rule, but for most people work is a poor second.
    The worst thing I did while working was program someone's room key with the wrong number, after working a 12 hour shift starting 6 hours after my last one. Big deal, I fixed it within 5 minutes. Perhaps if I were a surgeon or a paramedic or an air traffic controller, I might feel differently. But I'm not..

Well, lucky you? :confused:

• Advertisement

Working day of 9-5
    No assignments
    No weekend reading
    A reasonable salary

I can't bloody wait to enter this 'real world' again.

Nice job if you can get it. A lot of people don't just leave work at 5 and forget about it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I'm a current undergrad. I wake at 4am each morning, eat gravel for breakfast, give oral sex to several lecturers in order to ensure a good grade, read for 7 hours each day, do 3 assignments each night, cook a meal for my entire family AND look after my paraplegic mother and father, and still manage to have a blast in college. So anyone who says otherwise must clearly be lying.

prinz wrote: »
    Nice job if you can get it. A lot of people don't just leave work at 5 and forget about it.

Especially if we have exams twice a year on top :(

Every day in college 9-6
    Part time job 3/4 hours a night
    Assignments to be finished, which means working until 2/3am
    Reading all weekend, so never really 'free'
    No money

vs

Working day of 9-5
    No assignments
    No weekend reading
    A reasonable salary

It really is about perception - your list includes none of the obligations & responsibilities that are part and parcel of working life. Why is that? Heres another list which actually reflects what most serious jobs are about. If you dont have (or arent going to get) a serious job, then perhaps my list is not relevent to you (of course, that would beg the queston of why you went to college to do an under-grad and a post-graduate degree.......:eek:).

College
    Self-learning
    No responsibility (other than to yourself)
    Most of the things due today, can probably be done tomorrow
    No expectations, until exams maybe twice a year and the odd assignment
    Nooone cares what you look like or if you honk of booze

vs

Work
    Responsibility to others; often, their workload depends on yours
    Responsibility to employer & clients/customers
    Usually things need to be done when they need to be done
    Working past regular 9-5 is often expected/thinking about ongoing issues after 5 frequent
    Continual expectations
    Appearances important

Especially if we have exams twice a year on top :(

True that. Waiting on results now :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement