Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

where's all this talk of College been a non stop party

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

I think it's very true when they say,
    You cant repeat the party, but you can repeat the exam!!

roll on 30th of august for me..

And who is that tosser saying that they spend 100 squids a ni!! are you foreal? I dont even live on that a week! Student life is consumed with copious amounts of alcohol,noodles and rolling out of bed into your lectures. The sterotype is generally true. Its 4 years of your life where you have no troubles, besides gettin to the offy before 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Ya i heard the Clown masters isn't what it used to be!:p

So it's an IT degree/dip you be sportin! You must be the talk of Listowel!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

CavanCrew wrote: »
    Its 4 years of your life where you have no troubles, besides gettin to the offy before 10pm.

There's a lot of truth in them there words. Good times were had by all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ya i heard the Clown masters isn't what it used to be!:p

So it's an IT degree/dip you be sportin! You must be the talk of Listowel!:D

ha ha ha! Don't think I'm that comedic but good to craic a few jokes! :pac:

I sport a business informatics degree and a computing h dip!

• drkpower wrote: »
    I did actually; but I had a bigger problem with you not referring to obligations/responsibilities of your work. As I said from my first post, the reason why boozing is harder in work than college (aside from age:() is because of the responsibilities/obligations of work over college. It is extreley telling that throughout this discussion you have referred more to the hours you have/had in college vs work than the more important issie of the quality of the work.

The hours are relevant because the more time you work, the less time you have to enjoy yourself. Not rocket science. I've already said that I find college more challenging, without going into boring in-depth comparisons of my exact duties. What more do you want me to say? I think you're one of those people who likes banging on about the 'real world' and trying to convince people how terribly difficult it is. I know plenty of professionals, including doctors, who have plenty of free time and opportunities to party.
    Yes and everyone is beautiful in their own way.......;)

Non-serious jobs? Many; a binman; most mundane service jobs; yours.....

I'm sure a heart surgeon or someone working for mountain rescue would scoff at you thinking your job is serious and important. As for my job not being serious, I can only laugh. To be fair, you don't know what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ah college, the stiffmeister, jimbo and all the gang. oh the fun we had..wait a sec....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

The hours are relevant because the more time you work, the less time you have to enjoy yourself. Not rocket science. .

I wonder if you have actually followed any of this discussion. My initial entrance into this discussion (and what you went into a self-indulgent hissy fit over) was that, when it comes to jobs with responsibilities/obligations, it was easier to go to college hungover than it is to go to work. How much free time you have is irrelevent to that consideration. Yet you have repeatedly given that as the reason (in addition to 'no money', 'working late' and a multitude of other reasons) without ever really focussing on the point I made that you initially chose to react to. That is why I suspect that your work isnt that 'serious' (in the context of how I defined it).
    I think you're one of those people who likes banging on about the 'real world' and trying to convince people how terribly difficult it is. I know plenty of professionals, including doctors, who have plenty of free time and opportunities to party. .

This is where you would cry about how I am making assumptions, right.....:rolleyes:
    Far from it, while I believe my job is challenging and stimulating, it isnt that difficult - once you have sound judgment; which sadly is lacking in many people and is difficult to teach. It is more difficult than college though;). I would remind you that there is only one person moaning and crying about how hard their life and course is....... that would be you. I havent cried once, nr once declared how difficult my job is; but I am the person who likes to bang on about how difficult life is.....!?! :D
    Of course some people in careers party hard; when did I ever say they didnt? Again, are you following this converstaion? I simply said (for the nth time) that it is easier to party in college than in work. When I was a doctor, I partied almost (but not quite;)) as hard as in college.
    I'm sure a heart surgeon or someone working for mountain rescue would scoff at you thinking your job is serious and important.
    They might, at first; but I would explain to them what responsibilities and obligations I have; we would discuss it for a bit; they'd give their view; I'd give mine; and then they would agree with me.

I wonder if you have actually followed any of this discussion. My initial entrance into this discussion (and what you went into a self-indulgent hissy fit over) was that, when it comes to jobs with responsibilities/obligations, it was easier to go to college hungover than it is to go to work. How much free time you have is irrelevent to that consideration. Yet you have repeatedly given that as the reason (in addition to 'no money', 'working late' and a multitude of other reasons) without ever really focussing on the point I made that you initially chose to react to. That is why I suspect that your work isnt that 'serious' (in the context of how I defined it).

I didn't have a 'hissy fit'. I objecting to you very rudely implying I was a lazy worker because I said that I found it easier to have a social life after college. Nice of you to play the 'hysterical woman' card simply because I dared to challenge your unfounded and unfair assumptions. :rolleyes: I'm completely calm here, let me tell you. ;)

I explained in my first and second posts that I personally find it much easier to get through a working day, in any job, from cleaning toilets (which is hard bloody work) to working in a bank to teaching - anything at all, than to have a whole day of lectures and research when I'm tired. What is so hard to understand about that? The career I'm going into requires huge amounts of concentration, but I won't be required to learn and remember new information every second of every day. And I suspect most people who work aren't sitting there taking in information all the time.
    This is where you would cry about how I am making assumptions, right.....:rolleyes:
    Far from it, while I believe my job is challenging and stimulating, it isnt that difficult - once you have sound judgment; which sadly is lacking in many people and is difficult to teach. It is more difficult than college though;). I would remind you that there is only one person moaning and crying about how hard their life and course is....... that would be you. I havent cried once; but I am the person who likes to bang on about how difficult life is.....!! :D

I love my life. I've never had such a huge variety of different things to do, people to meet, exciting opportunities. I just miss being able to go out and being able to have entire weekends off. I find working easier than studying. Not complicated.
    Of course some people in careers party hard; when did I ever say they didnt? Again, are you following this converstaion? I simply said (for the nth time) that it is easier to party in college than in work. When I was a doctor, I partied almost (but not quite;)) as hard as in college.

And I said that in my case, it isn't. Simple. If you hadn't jumped to conclusions and insulted me, we wouldn't be discussing this.
    They might, at first; but I would explain to them what responsibilities and obligations I have; we would discuss it for a bit; they'd give their view; I'd give mine; and then they would agree with me.

And perhaps those binmen, care assistants and other low paid 'service workers' you look down on have their own stresses and responsibilities and obligations?

Ive read both of your posts here, and i still have no feckin idea what you two are arguing about..

Nice of you to play the 'hysterical woman' card simply because I dared to challenge your unfounded and unfair assumptions. :rolleyes: I'm completely calm here, let me tell you. ;)

I didnt know you were a woman; I never stated you were a woman; i never called you hysterical.:rolleyes: But dont let the facts get in the way of playing the victim. Because you are playing a stormer!!
    (Btw, the last sentence gave it away...the lady doth protest too much, and all that)
    If you hadn't jumped to conclusions and insulted me, we wouldn't be discussing this.

Insult you?
    What, like saying that 'you are the type of person who likes to tell others how difficult life is' or telling you that 'you look down on people'...... Would they be the types of insults you would be talking about? Playing the victim only works when you arent the one throwing out the insults.
    And perhaps those binmen, care assistants and other low paid 'service workers' you look down on have their own stresses and responsibilities and obligations?

When did I give you the idea that I look down on them? Because I said their jobs have less obligations and responsibilities? How is that looking down on them? Are you now acting as a proxy victim for an entire span of workers who you feel I have slighted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

CavanCrew wrote: »
    Ive read both of your posts here, and i still have no feckin idea what you two are arguing about..

For two very busy people, they seem to have alot of time free for the internet.:pac:

When I was in college, I got up an hour before I went to bed. Thats how I aced everything.

I didnt know you were a woman; I never stated you were a woman; i never called you hysterical.:rolleyes: But dont let the facts get in the way of playing the victim. Because you are playing a stormer!!
    (Btw, the last sentence gave it away...the lady doth protest too much, and all that)

Yeah, whatever you think.
    Insult you?
    What, like saying that 'you are the type of person who likes to tell others how difficult life is' or telling you that 'you look down on people'...... Would they be the types of insults you would be talking about? Playing the victim only works when you arent the one throwing out the insults.

I'm going on what you've posted here. You've implied that your life is difficult as much as you think I have. You have stated that some jobs are 'serious' while others aren't, based on nothing whatsoever but your own perception of what constitutes a serious job. I'm sure plenty of binmen would disagree with you. Have you ever done that job?
    When did I give you the idea that I look down on them? Because I said their jobs have less obligations and responsibilities? How is that looking down on them? Are you now acting as a proxy victim for an entire span of workers who you feel I have slighted?

Because you're assuming you have more obligations and responsibilities without really having any idea. You also assumed I didn't have a 'serious' job without having any idea. If you don't see how that's condescending, too bad for you. I wouldn't have the nerve to go around declaring what constitutes a serious job and what doesn't.

• For two very busy people, they seem to have alot of time free for the internet.:pac:

When I was in college, I got up an hour before I went to bed. Thats how I aced everything.

When faced with a dull but essential day of copying things from one medium to another, even watching paint dry starts to seem appealing. :D

For two very busy people, they seem to have alot of time free for the internet.:pac:

Ah yeh sure, that's the working lifestyle.
    Busy Busy Busy.

When faced with a dull but essential day of copying things from one medium to another, even watching paint dry starts to seem appealing. :D

I think I can solve the argument.

Summary

Milena Damp Backbone: If I don't do well in college, people will die!!!

drkpower: If I didn't do well in work, people will die!!!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

That's it im signing onto the Dole.

• I think I can solve the argument.

Summary

Milena Damp Backbone: If I don't do well in college, people will die!!!

drkpower: If I didn't do well in work, people will die!!!

And with that I'm off for food. Being in the lab all day makes you really hungry.

Jeremiah 16:1....Thread Killer supreme.:cool::cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

prinz wrote: »
    It may also narrow down the people who may be perfect for college but for whom it is financially unviable.

Why is this so? There are people for whom it is financially inviable even with the current free fees, yet they are supported, a scholarship system could easily distinguish this kind of thing. Even if that isn't possible, although it surely is, I still don't think that is a good argument, is the rest of the educational system to be laid to waste by the scourge of free and therefore apparently valueless education in order to ensure that academically accomplished yet poor individuals don't suffer?

Yeah, whatever you think. .
    :rolleyes:
    I'm going on what you've posted here. You've implied that your life is difficult as much as you think I have. You have stated that some jobs are 'serious' while others aren't, based on nothing whatsoever but your own perception of what constitutes a serious job. I'm sure plenty of binmen would disagree with you. Have you ever done that job?.Because you're assuming you have more obligations and responsibilities without really having any idea. You also assumed I didn't have a 'serious' job without having any idea. If you don't see how that's condescending, too bad for you. I wouldn't have the nerve to go around declaring what constitutes a serious job and what doesn't

Ive implied my life was difficult....?:eek: When did that happen?? You might post one example of where, like a good girl now?

I told you about 5 times that I was defining 'serious', for the purposes of this conversation, as having significant responsibilities and obligations. Do you not think it is possible to make a reasonably objective assessment of the relative responsibilities and obligations of different jobs? For instance, do you think that a doctor or a teacher or a lawyer has more responsibilities and obligations than a hotel receptionist?

I look forward to the answer to this one; if you say a doctor has more responsibilities than a binman, you are being condescending; if you say he doesnt, you are an idiot......:D Nice one, love.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

I'm 21 and I'm after repeating the leaving for the third and final time this year

i will be living at home as i'm living near UCD and trinity, but I'm going out everynight scoring

I told the folks if they have a problem with me bringing girls back they can GTFO of the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    I'm 21 and I'm after repeating the leaving for the third and final time this year

i will be living at home as i'm living near UCD and trinity, but I'm going out everynight scoring

I told the folks if they have a problem with me bringing girls back they can GTFO of the house
    i could'nt agree more with this post

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Doddy got schooled by junior!....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Finished college now, but I had four years of parties mixed in with a couple of weeks of cramming each semester. Great times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Budget Marketing

I think it very much so depends on whether you are staying on campus or living with friends for college against if you are commuting and going to college each morning without a group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

My college was shít. I socialsed outside the place. Got finished and left. Had money to do things. Now im permently pissed drunk, no exams to do, some money in my pocket and ive got a bird from italy so college life can suck my fat hairy balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Never quite got into the party thing myself. For one thing I Hate the rave-type music you get in clubs, and I find getting drunk to be really really overrated, but I'm in he minority.

I joined enough societies to have something to do every night and know tons of people So I rarely found myself home alone unless I wanted to be.

College is hyped up, theres plenty of drinking going on, but mainly its the little first years who never been away from home before. Also the people who are having sex most are the ones in relationships, which a lot of people seem to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

College is hyped up, theres plenty of drinking going on, but mainly its the little first years who never been away from home before. Also the people who are having sex most are the ones in relationships, which a lot of people seem to be[/QUOTE]

thats bull, I did a lot of my drinking in 4th year of college, as did my m8s, best year so far.and we all git 2.1's plus b4 anyone says you cant party and do well in exams.
    2 more years left with this postgrad im doing, why would anyone want to leave college??:D

homless student, please don't drag up two year old threads, and please don't use txt spk, it's very annoying and also against the charter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement