Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying an above entry level racer

• 11-08-2010 1:06am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭

I have been riding mountain bikes for the last few years, and as much as I enjoy it, I am interested in getting out on the road and maybe joining a road cycling club. First thing on the cards is getting my hands on a decent road bike. I have a few euro handy at the moment, so I am looking to put some money into a bike which will last me a while. I have looked at the entry level bikes from Trek, Specialized and Giant, but I think I would like to get one maybe a step up from these, any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I picked up a Specialized Allez Double with Tiagra groupset to get back out onto the road cycling again and off the Mountain bike...And I could not be happier with it, looks more expensive than it was and I am sure it is well up to a few road races..

I have to say the quailty of the frame is brilliant, same as the €1000+ model, and as for the wheels/tyres and groupset they will be upgraded as they wear out and its a good frame to upgrade as you go... In Fact i have already sourced a Dura Ace rear mech cheap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you're looking above entry level and can afford it I'd look for something with a 10sp drivetrain, i.e. SRAM or Shimano 105/Ultegra or above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

i recommend the boardman comp. wont get better specs for the price, period. 105 mech with tiagra shifters for less than 900.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would aim at entry-level carbon which I feel provides the best bang for the buck if you want to go over absolute entry level. Tends to have a more comfortable ride and is lighter than alumnium, certainly is much better than entry-level aluminium.

Planet X SRAM Red £1,099 - best deal at the moment IMO. Red is SRAM's top-end and the lightest group available. It is not full Red but shifters and mechs which are probably most important anyway. This is an insane price for a carbon bike with Red.

Focus Cayo 105 £999 - good bike but substantially heavier than the Planet X and lower spec

I have owned both the above frames. The Cayo used be better value than it is now. The PX is IMO the better, stiffer and lighter frame.

Boardman Road Bike Team Carbon an uncompetitive €1,499 but with AXA 15% discount down to a competitive €1,275 (I believe you can use any policy number and they don't check, so just find a friend.) SRAM Rival but a more complete group. Have never ridden one but they look good and get good reviews.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Cheers lads good info there, do you think it is worth my while shelling out the extra money for the Boardman bike above say the Planent X (seems to be the way I am headed now). I could probably stretch the the Boardman if it is really worth it, but it would mean cheaping out a bit on other equipment I was thinking of getting, shoes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Do you think it is worth my while shelling out the extra money for the Boardman bike above say the Planent X (seems to be the way I am headed now).
    No.

Are there any pics of the new PX Pro Carbon frame anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Cheers lads good info there, do you think it is worth my while shelling out the extra money for the Boardman bike above say the Planent X (seems to be the way I am headed now). I could probably stretch the the Boardman if it is really worth it, but it would mean cheaping out a bit on other equipment I was thinking of getting, shoes etc.
    No, I think even if they were the same money the Planet X is the better bike. I'm just listing the best options at that range. Some people might be restricted in where they can buy (e.g. with a specific Bike to Work scheme) and so if you had to buy in Ireland or from Halfords the Boardman is the best bet. If you have a free hand the Planet X. Note the Boardman is slightly cheaper with the AXA discount, I quoted it in Euro while the other two are sterling.

Advertisement