Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alco friends

Options
  • 11-08-2010 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am about to move into a flat. However the problem is i have friends who are big drinkers. They don't drink all week but they do tend to drink alot. I like too have a drink too but not during daytime or during the week. I also don't like people getting very drunk and being annoying or knocking things. These are people i would be friendly with but not if they are very drunk. I had a flat once before and had to move because people getting drunk too early and calling around with other people. I came home one time to find a full fledged party which happened in my absense! I also have other friends who will avoid the place if all this happens.I am making these guys out to be real alcos. One of the guys who is probably the heaviest drinker is my best friend. But i know he will calling late and will stay their until they get in So how i stop people calling drunk? calling very late? sitting outside if their no one home?

The flat i am getting is cheap and nice but its in the centre of town which i suppose makes it worse
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

It's a bit obvious. Don't have parties or drinks in your flat.
    There's no reason why your home should become party central. If anyone questions you just explain you didn't like how they wrecked your last flat. If they can't deal with this they're not your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks for the reply. The thing is i do want to have a few drinks near the weekend i just don't it to get out of hand. One person calling to the door and others appearing around the corner. Other people getting annoyed with me for not getting in. The old flat was along time ago.

The other things is i get lonely thats why i let people in before

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

You seem a bit paranoid tbh. Just because they like to have the odd drink doesn't mean they'll have your flat turned into a nightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

How do you stop people calling drunk? phone off, ignore anyone banging on the door, stop being a pushover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

It seems this is a typically Irish problem - How to drink without binge drinking, or having other people binge and turn brain-dead around you, and you can't stop completely because you'll be ostracized. I don't really have any advice, but I sympathise with the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

OP I had a similar problem with friends coming around to my place getting pissed during the week before. In a way I didn't like it but at the same time they were my friends and I appreciated them coming around. They'd show up at 4pm on a Friday and sometimes it would last most of the weekend. It was fun for me for a while but got tiring pretty soon.

So I just began to control it. I'd tell them yeah, you're more than welcome to come around on Fri/Sat, however Im not going to be at home till 8/9pm and to call then. During the week Id fob them off with excuses such as going to the cinema with college mates, visiting family, gym, etc, etc so they wouldn't bother me. With a bit of forward planning I could control how often they came around and only at times that suited me, i.e. the times that I felt like having a few beers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

I have to disagree with other replies - you have no right demanding that you get to decide whent your flatmates can have parties and when they can't. It's called sharing a house for a reason. You know already what they are like so it's quite simple - don't move in with them if you don't want to live with people who like having fun. Find another place that's more suitable and call over to your friends place at weekends.

I have to disagree with other replies - you have no right demanding that you get to decide whent your flatmates <snip>.

they're not flatmates.. the op rents the flat and his friends use it as a shebeen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    they're not flatmates.. the op rents the flat and his friends use it as a shebeen.

No, they don't.

He hasn't moved in yet. He is afraid that they might because they like to drink.

In the previous flat, the flatmates liked to drink and hold parties.

reprazant wrote: »
    No, they don't.

He hasn't moved in yet. He is afraid that they might because they like to drink.

In the previous flat, the flatmates liked to drink and hold parties.

:confused:
    unnecessary clarification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭zxcvbnm1

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    :confused:
    unnecessary clarification.

A fairly crucial clarification in my book.

zxcvbnm1 wrote: »
    A fairly crucial clarification in my book.

nope.

in the last flat the friends took the p155.
    the op has a new flat.
    he's afraid the friends will once again abuse it.
    therefore, when i said "the op rents the flat and his friends use it as a shebeen" I used the present tense.. i.e. the op rents a flat and his friends abuse it.
    This is based on their past actions and the op has every reason to believe they will act this way again, given the chance.
    zxcvbnm1, reprazant.. read the context of the op post and of my post.

Advertisement