Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

has anyone been done for driving alone on lp ?

Options
  • 11-08-2010 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

hey i only got my car last week nd i drive alone on lp but not long distance just 3-4 km eg work school in sept u know nd i want to know has anione on boards been done for it ??? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

laser2121 wrote: »
    hey i only got my car last week nd i drive alone on lp but not long distance just 3-4 km eg work school in sept u know nd i want to know has anione on boards been done for it ??? :D

This has being done before but anyways"!

A relative of mine who is a guard basically told me this - if someone is driving alone just for a drive he will apply the law, if someone is driving with the mates messing around he will apply the law, school run he'll apply the law ect...

The only time he will let somebody away with it is if their is no alternative transport and the trip is 100% necessary and of course you have applied for your test and have the letter in the car with you in which case he'll wish you the best of luck in your test.

But thats just him some guards could be more lenient more could be much more harsh. People have/will be fined for driving on their own on a LP.

Lesson is apply for the test, pass it(it's very simple to be fair) and hopefully enjoy a lifetime of happy and safe motoring.

OP you say that you got your car last week ya! does this mean your driving on your own a week after getting your car????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 laser2121

OP you say that you got your car last week ya! does this mean your driving on your own a week after getting your car????

yes i failed the test once on observation grounds last yr spent 700 euro on lessons before that i got the car as a present so i have some experience but i only got my own car last week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 laser2121

Seriously?
    yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Why havent you re-sat your test yet? if you only failed on observations all you need do is bob your head around more at the mirrors.

Get that test done and prove to us that you are fit to be on the road with us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Young girl that works with my mum got done last year. Car was taken off her at the roadside and she ended up with a court date which resulted in a fine of €500.

Not sure if there was any previous trouble that caused this reaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Jenna69

corktina wrote: »
    Why havent you re-sat your test yet? if you only failed on observations all you need do is bob your head around more at the mirrors.

Get that test done and prove to us that you are fit to be on the road with us.

This type of statement really annoys me. Fit to be on the road with you:confused:????????????????? Who do you think you are:confused:?????????????????
    Anyone on a LP that i know (inlcuding myself) takes more care and caution on the roads because we are on a LP. And i only got my LP in April so it will be at least October before i can take my test so don't say get the test done, i will do my test when i feel ready to do it and not a second before. We all have to start somewhere so give us a chance! Like i said before full licence holders don't want LP holders on the road at all. Well tough!:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

1 don't drive unaccompanied

2 its only 3-4 km, cycle or walk

3 if you do drive I hope you get caught

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

Jenna69 I totally agree, wt u
    some of the driveing I see just mad and it's not from lp drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

1 don't drive unaccompanied

2 its only 3-4 km, cycle or walk

3 if you do drive I hope you get caught

sounds though but i have to agree.

just dont do it like

just learn and pass your test like everybody else and it will work out a lot easier for you when you get stopped at the garda checkpoint.

• Advertisement

Jenna69 wrote: »
    T i will do my test when i feel ready to do it and not a second before. We all have to start somewhere so give us a chance! Like i said before full licence holders don't want LP holders on the road at all. Well tough!:p:p:p

so you won't do the test until you are ready and you aren't ready to drive alone unrestricted on the roads until you have passed the test* but you are still going to drive anyway?

* by law

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There have been relatively frequent licence checks done outside secondary schools, so don't bother trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

Anyone on a LP that i know (inlcuding myself) takes more care and caution on the roads because we are on a LP.

While Corktina is being a bit harsh, it's important as a learner to know that being careful and cautious is not the same as being competent and experienced. This is why you are required to have an accompanying driver.
    An accompanying driver is a second set of eyes, helping you mind your blind spot and anticipate events ahead etc. It's not only for your safety but also for everyone else's safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

This type of statement really annoys me. Fit to be on the road with you:confused:????????????????? Who do you think you are:confused:?????????????????
    Anyone on a LP that i know (inlcuding myself) takes more care and caution on the roads because we are on a LP. And i only got my LP in April so it will be at least October before i can take my test so don't say get the test done, i will do my test when i feel ready to do it and not a second before. We all have to start somewhere so give us a chance! Like i said before full licence holders don't want LP holders on the road at all. Well tough!:p:p:p

With the greatest respect Jenna, a leaner is just that; someone who is learning, and as such can range from someone who has never sat behind the wheel of a car to someone who has a couple of years experience. The law regarding learner drivers not driving unaccompanied is there to prevent the former (those with zero experience) from passing a multiple choice exam and jumping behind the wheel of a car. Take offense all you want, but until you can prove you are fit to drive on the roads by passing your test, you have no business being on the roads unaccompanied, no matter how good you might think you are (and believe me most learners are nowhere near as good as they think they are). You can take all the care and pay all the attention you want, leaners drivers dont have the experience nor (for the most part) the skills to drive on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

For the sake of waiting a few weeks to resit the test is it really worth risking having a black mark against your driving record before you even start? If youre still in school then ask yourself can you afford the fine if you do get done for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I was behind someone yesterday morning who was on a learner permit, the guy should not have been on the road with a driving instructor he was that bad.

OP, don't drive alone, it is not worth the hassle if you are stopped.

djimi wrote: »
    With the greatest respect Jenna, a leaner is just that; someone who is learning, and as such can range from someone who has never sat behind the wheel of a car to someone who has a couple of years experience. The law regarding learner drivers not driving unaccompanied is there to prevent the former (those with zero experience) from passing a multiple choice exam and jumping behind the wheel of a car. Take offense all you want, but until you can prove you are fit to drive on the roads by passing your test, you have no business being on the roads unaccompanied, no matter how good you might think you are (and believe me most learners are nowhere near as good as they think they are). You can take all the care and pay all the attention you want, leaners drivers dont have the experience nor (for the most part) the skills to drive on their own.

I never claimed to be a great driver, i said i was probably more careful than the next person but how am i meant to get that experience and skill if i dont drive. I need to practice and practice if i'm to pass my test. Like i said just give us a chance. Also if LP drivers are not bothered about driving alone why should you be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

Another point, (it was probably covered many times before but...) If in the case of a learner driver being involved in an accident while driving alone, would the insurance company pay up???

Another point, (it was probably covered many times before but...) If in the case of a learner driver being involved in an accident while driving alone, would the insurance company pay up???

they will cover the other party but will chase you for costs as you are in violation of the terms of the contract

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I never claimed to be a great driver, i said i was probably more careful than the next person but how am i meant to get that experience and skill if i dont drive. I need to practice and practice if i'm to pass my test. Like i said just give us a chance.
    Bring a licensed driver with you. You're a learner, you need to learn.
    Also if LP drivers are not bothered about driving alone why should you be bothered.
    Because you might hit one of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

they will cover the other party but will chase you for costs as you are in violation of the terms of the contract

Was just thinking that myself!!!
    So that should be a little thing to consider when L drivers go driving around on their own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Was just thinking that myself!!!
    So that should be a little thing to consider when L drivers go driving around on their own!

and also at the scene of accidents the gardai are called in anyway so they could do you in there and then on the spot for being leaner with nobody with you

Anan1 wrote: »
    Bring a licensed driver with you. You're a learner, you need to learn.

Because you might hit one of us.[/QUOTE]

I think there's more chance of you hitting me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

A learner driving under supervision of an instructor, or at the very least, another qualified driver, is learning, because hopefully, when they make a mistake, they get put right, and gradually, the mistakes are ironed out.

A learner driving alone is NOT learning, all they are doing is reinforcing their own inexperience, and convincing themselves that they know how to drive when they don't.

It is arguable to me whether the test standard is even good enough as it stands, as most people who do it promptly ignore test standards and return to a very amateur standard of driving. But while it stands, it is there for a reason, and is there precisely because some people take an attitude that they can do as they please.

:rolleyes:
    Nieve and overconfident

doesn't bode well for your driving I must say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

I need to practice and practice if i'm to pass my test.

I hope all that practice is under the required and adequate supervision... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If you're as brilliant and careful a driver as you say you are, you should have no problem passing the test and driving legally...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

With all due respect, you don't appear to have any grasp of your own inexperience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Passing the test demonstrates you have a minimal level of competence to operate what is potentially a lethal machine.

If you cannot pass the test then you do not have this minimal level of competence and should not be driving unaccompanied. If you can do the test. Its simple.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    If you're as brilliant and careful a driver as you say you are, you should have no problem passing the test and driving legally...

Show me where in any of my posts have i said that my driving is brilliant???? Please show me cos i know i never said it.

Advertisement