Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

has anyone been done for driving alone on lp ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

Jenna69 wrote: »
    Show me where in any of my posts have i said that my driving is brilliant???? Please show me cos i know i never said it.

Hence the reason for driving tests, and laws governing such... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

To be honest the test is very unfair. It really comes down to the day...
    You can fail through no fault of your own!

I bet that half the so-called experienced drivers where to sit a test today, they would fail...

It really isnt as easy as you think, seriously...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's not like you have to wait a year for another test if you fail these days. Just do the test again a few weeks later if you fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Theanswers wrote: »
    To be honest the test is very unfair. It really comes down to the day...
    You can fail through no fault of your own!
    How?
    Theanswers wrote: »
    It really isnt as easy as you think, seriously...
    Passing the test doesn't automatically make one a safe driver, but anyone who can't manage even that basic minimum is not yet ready to drive unaccompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A Learner's Permit is just that- it is not a driving license. That's why it's not called a 'provisional license' any more.

The driving test isn't the enemy, it's only a thing that must be got out of the way. Get it passed and get on with it and quit whinging about how unfair the whole thing is.

I had to do a Theory Test to get a LP for my bike a couple of years ago and I had the test passed after 7 months. Not cos I'm great. Just because it's the way of things and you must be proactive about road safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

Anan1 wrote: »
    Bring a licensed driver with you. You're a learner, you need to learn.

Because you might hit one of us.[/QUOTE]

I think there's more chance of you hitting me.
    I never claimed to be a great driver, i said i was probably more careful than the next person but how am i meant to get that experience and skill if i dont drive. I need to practice and practice if i'm to pass my test. Like i said just give us a chance. Also if LP drivers are not bothered about driving alone why should you be bothered.

if your more careful how do you not know what speed your doing, or what coasting is?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67370348&postcount=17

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67268376&postcount=1

when coasting you have alot less control over your car, so more than likely you'll be the one hitting one of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Terrible attitude....and displays the very reason why you should be accompanied by an experienced driver

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I never claimed to be a great driver, i said i was probably more careful than the next person but how am i meant to get that experience and skill if i dont drive. I need to practice and practice if i'm to pass my test. Like i said just give us a chance. Also if LP drivers are not bothered about driving alone why should you be bothered.

Give you a chance to do what? Allow some complete driving noob to jump behind the wheel of a car and run me off the road? Get a grip for god sake; you have a learners permit, not a drivers license. Until you can prove you are fit to be on the road then you have no business driving unaccompanied. Its not hard to understand; a car in the hands of someone who does not know how to control it is a potentially lethal object, and there is absolutely nothing you can say to me that will justify someone who has not passed their test driving around unaccompanied.

No, there really isnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 laser2121

djimi wrote: »
    With the greatest respect Jenna, a leaner is just that; someone who is learning, and as such can range from someone who has never sat behind the wheel of a car to someone who has a couple of years experience. The law regarding learner drivers not driving unaccompanied is there to prevent the former (those with zero experience) from passing a multiple choice exam and jumping behind the wheel of a car. Take offense all you want, but until you can prove you are fit to drive on the roads by passing your test, you have no business being on the roads unaccompanied, no matter how good you might think you are (and believe me most learners are nowhere near as good as they think they are). You can take all the care and pay all the attention you want, leaners drivers dont have the experience nor (for the most part) the skills to drive on their own.

right nd tell me wer can we get the experience do we get it in the shop or some thing now seriously full licence drivers dont want us on the roads untill wepass our test but how can we pass our test withought driving nd if the reply is lessons iv done 24 nd money dosnt grow on any of the trees outside

• Advertisement

laser2121 wrote: »
    right nd tell me wer can we get the experience do we get it in the shop or some thing now seriously full licence drivers dont want us on the roads untill wepass our test but how can we pass our test withought driving nd if the reply is lessons iv done 24 nd money dosnt grow on any of the trees outside

You find a fully licensed driver and you bring them along with you. Either that or you use a driving school. Its an inconvenience I know, but so is causing a fatal accident thru inexperienced or incompetant driving...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Jenna69

Wow you've done your homework ha ha!

Yes patrickc i am a Learner Driver so i don't know everything about everything but who does. I'm sure full licence drivers don't know everything either. Just because you pass your test doesn't mean that all of a sudden you know everything there is to know about driving. Once you start driving you are learning for life. Everyday driving throws up different situations that you have to deal with and learn from.

And i'm definitely not naiive to think i'm an excellent driver at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Get an experienced driver to sit with you. Parent friend relative. Shouldn't cost much if anything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Anyone on a LP that i know (inlcuding myself) takes more care and caution on the roads because we are on a LP. And i only got my LP in April so it will be at least October before i can take my test so don't say get the test done, i will do my test when i feel ready to do it and not a second before. We all have to start somewhere so give us a chance! Like i said before full licence holders don't want LP holders on the road at all. Well tough!:p:p:p

And you fell capable to drive on your own when your not meant to be in the meant time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

As has been said you get an experienced driver (who has held their licence for at least two years as the new law states) or pay for lessons.

If money is a problem then that is your problem, driving is a privilege not a right( Many learners seem to have the misguided idea that it is the latter ).

godtabh wrote: »
    And you fell capable to drive on your own when your not meant to be in the meant time?

Didn't understand a word of that. English please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

I just don't understand this attitude of 'the rules don't apply to me because the rules are silly and I know better.'

The law says you can't. Simple as. Why do some learners believe that they are so magical and special that the rules don't apply? That is actually a serious question, I really want to know the logic behind it.

I'm a learner driver too, and I wouldn't think of driving unaccompanied. I'm pretty sure the law doesn't say 'Drivers holding a learner's permit cannot drive unaccompanied unless they really feel like it, in which case the Oireachtas believes it's, like, totally fine.' It also doesn't exempt me by name because of my utter fabulousness (ingrates. . .).

That attitude really annoys me because it ends with all learners being tarred with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You must be a very fast learner, given that you posted this only five weeks ago:
    OMG i conked out in the middle of a roundabout yesterday, i went into it ok but i slowed down as i was turning and when i went to accelerate into my exit i conked out, couldn't understand what i did wrong. I started up the engine again, into 1st gear and onto acc while letting up clutch and out again, this happened three times until i realised i wasn't on the acc at all but kept hitting the brake instead of acc. No wonder i couldn't take off. Can you tell i'm on a LP :o:o:o
    Also thanks to the van driver coming behind me for giving me plenty of time to recover and not hurrying me by beeping me along. Cheers;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 laser2121

patrickc wrote: »

if your more careful how do you not know what speed your doing, or what coasting is?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67370348&postcount=17

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67268376&postcount=1

when coasting you have alot less control over your car, so more than likely you'll be the one hitting one of us.

so ur tellingme thar having the clutch pressed down gives me less control over my car

how ??

Yes patrickc i am a Learner Driver so i don't know everything about everything but who does. I'm sure full licence drivers don't know everything either. Just because you pass your test doesn't mean that all of a sudden you know everything there is to know about driving. Once you start driving you are learning for life. Everyday driving throws up different situations that you have to deal with and learn from.

Passing your test doenst mean you know everything, but it shows you know enough to at least be considered competant on the road. Having never passed your test, you have not proved yourself a competant driver. Im really not sure what part of that concept you are finding so hard to grasp.

• Advertisement

You must be a very fast learner, given that you posted this only five weeks ago:

Another one doing their homework ha ha! I've already said i'm a learner driver and my driving isn't excellent but in the space of five weeks i have gone from conking out in the middle of a roundabout to not conking out at all. And i am a fast learner btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

And you felt it was okay to be out in a car on your own while constantly conking out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Didn't understand a word of that. English please.

Hi Jenna, this isn't an English exam, it's a discussion forum. We ask that you not use txt spk and that you do your best to make yourself understood, but pointing out people's grammar isn't generally done.

BTW, remove the splinter from your own eye before pointing out the plank in someone else's...
    This type of statement really annoys me. Fit to be on the road with you:confused:????????????????? Who do you think you are:confused:?????????????????
    Anyone on a LP that i know (inlcuding myself) takes more care and caution on the roads because we are on a LP. And i only got my LP in April so it will be at least October before i can take my test so don't say get the test done, i will do my test when i feel ready to do it and not a second before. We all have to start somewhere so give us a chance! Like i said before full licence holders don't want LP holders on the road at all. Well tough!:p:p:p
    You could probably do with a few more commas in there too to break up the sentences...
    I never claimed to be a great driver, i said i was probably more careful than the next person but how am i meant to get that experience and skill if i dont drive. I need to practice and practice if i'm to pass my test. Like i said just give us a chance. Also if LP drivers are not bothered about driving alone why should you be bothered. (should be a question mark)

Would you have the same attitude to a medical student performing surgery on you. They might also think they are competent enough but just haven't pased that test yet

Your misguided attitude that your assesment of your driving skils is sufficient alone shows why you should be accompanied

Another one doing their homework ha ha! I've already said i'm a learner driver and my driving isn't excellent but in the space of five weeks i have gone from conking out in the middle of a roundabout to not conking out at all. And i am a fast learner btw.

Your "conking out" on a roundabout could have caused an accident. Had you a learner driver with you then they would have told you to stop pressing the brake instead of the throttle...

so ur tellingme thar having the clutch pressed down gives me less control over my car

how ??

What happens when you press on the accelerator when the clutch is pressed down?....nothing only increased revs therefore you are not in control of the car i.e having the ability to accelerate hence why coasting on the clutch will fail you on your test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

how ??

This statement proves that you should not be driving on your own.

Your car should not be freewheeling, except for the second it takes to change gear, or for the very last moments when you are coming to a stop. If you have spent 700 euro on lessons and your instructor didn't explain that to you then you really need to find a new driving school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

My God, the lack of humility in some learner drivers is frightening. The entitlement complex is bad enough - expecting to drive before they have proven you can drive! - but the obliviousness to the fact you are in control of a dangerous, multi-tonne machine that could kill people at the drop of a hat really takes the biscuit.

Pass your test, then drive. Simples. The rest is just noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If you're still at the stage of mixing up pedals <to quote an old an wise family friend> You don't know enough to know that you know nothing...

• Advertisement

how ??

You cant accelorate with the clutch floored. If you drive with the clutch in then you are freewheeling.

You will fail your test if you are found to be cruising. At the moment spend less time worrying about why and more time trying to concentrate on not doing it...

Advertisement