Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

has anyone been done for driving alone on lp ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Eh... become a name driver.... you're not going to be driving cross country when you're learning are you? A few lessons trips around town. Then when you get your full license your employment prospects increase, you get a job and you can afford to run your own car.... Not rocket science.

Besides the price of the number of lessons now required... vastly exceeds the price of a start up car.

The price of the car is the cheap part. For a starter driver its the running costs (insurance, tax, petrol, servicing, tyres etc that add up. If you cannot afford driving lessons then you cannot afford to own a car.

The vast majority of employers couldn't care less what kind of licence you have or if you have any (unless you are applying for a reps job, or a van driver etc)

All you need is a few lessons and then get someone with a full licence to accompany you while you gain experience. Pass the test then drive on your own.

The Irish test is easy, too easy, it covers the very basics and no more, if you cannot pass the test then you should not be on the road unaccompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    I believe that people should be required to sit a test every 10 years... Im sure everybody who is really concerned with safe roads would have no objection to this. That would really seperate the wheat from the chaff in terms of real drivers. In the meantime, I think driving/motoring should be a school subject taught once a week/fortnight from first year (theory) with option of practical lessons (subsidised) from 5 th year. That would significantly improve driving in this country while at the same time reducing the cost of those learning and enabling them to obey law.

I 100% agree and have been saying so for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Teaching driving in schools would be nice and all but there are many downsides. Unless the school day is lengthened (at a cost obviously) , then other subjects will have to suffer to fit it in. It's an expense that's not needed in an already stretched education system.

Carlos-rey has conveniently skipped over the part about other countries that people Here seem to aspire us to emulate not having driving thought in schools. It's not high enough a priority to divert m eh from other uses.

The fact is the systems in plenty of countries work without doing it through schools. It's peoples attitudes of entitlements towards driving that needs to be addressed .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

loobylou wrote: »
    The problem with the present system is the students cannot get their LP until they are at least 17.
    By then transition year is usually over and there would not be time to fit the above into a Leaving Certificate syllabus.

Our school does it within the Applied Leaving Cert..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Stekelly wrote: »
    Teaching driving in schools would be nice and all but there are many downsides. Unless the school day is lengthened (at a cost obviously) , then other subjects will have to suffer to fit it in. It's an expense that's not needed in an already stretched education system.

Carlos-rey has conveniently skipped over the part about other countries that people Here seem to aspire us to emulate not having driving thought in schools. It's not high enough a priority to divert m eh from other uses.

The fact is the systems in plenty of countries work without doing it through schools. It's peoples attitudes of entitlements towards driving that needs to be addressed .

Like so many issues on our roads its down to policing (or lack thereof). If learners knew that there was a very good chance that they would be caught if they drove unaccompanied, if there was stricter punishments for getting caught, if they knew that causing an accident while driving unaccompanied would lead to prosecution, then that attitude of entitlement would change very fast. The fact that learners know full well that even if they do get caught chances are nothing will come of it is the very reason why so many dont care about the laws regarding learners. Laws mean nothing if they are not enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 laser2121

tobsey wrote: »
    laser2121 wrote: »

This statement proves that you should not be driving on your own.

Your car should not be freewheeling, except for the second it takes to change gear, or for the very last moments when you are coming to a stop. If you have spent 700 euro on lessons and your instructor didn't explain that to you then you really need to find a new driving school.

well yes he did tell me that but whhe ur passin a junction or a similar situation you should be prepared to stop so therfore i coast when im passng a junction or duing a roundabout so im ready to stop in case some person decides to cut infront of me or not to give right of way

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

well yes he did tell me that but whhe ur passin a junction or a similar situation you should be prepared to stop so therfore i coast when im passng a junction or duing a roundabout so im ready to stop in case some person decides to cut infront of me or not to give right of way
    You're not yet ready to drive unaccompanied.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Right, that settles it - you're not ready to be driving unaccompanied.

and may i ask why ???

and may i ask why ???
    Because you coast past junctions and through roundabouts. If you can't be prepared to stop without coasting then you have yet to master even the most basic skills of controlling a car.

Because you coast past junctions and through roundabouts. If you can't be prepared to stop without coasting then you have yet to master even the most basic skills of controlling a car.

no im just taking my fathers advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

no im just taking my fathers advice

well don't because he has no idea what he is talking about.

well don't because he has no idea what he is talking about.

the man has his licence from 1986 ud think he dos especialy when he has the whole shabang of categories

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Jenna69 wrote: »
    I never claimed to be a great driver, i said i was probably more careful than the next person but how am i meant to get that experience and skill if i dont drive. I need to practice and practice if i'm to pass my test. Like i said just give us a chance. Also if LP drivers are not bothered about driving alone why should you be bothered.

You practice with a fully licensed driver who has held there licence for over 2 years or with a qualified instructor.

Your posts are disgraceful. Your basically saying LEARNER drivers should be aloud drive on there own. Your lucky you live in Ireland because you wouldn't last very long in another country. The Garda are terrible at reinforcing the law of Learner drivers driving on there own and without L plates.

Also at your comment on sitting the test when your "good and ready" is a disgrace, too many drivers have the same problem in there heads. Passing your test is a way of letting the Garda etc know that your are competent to drive on our national roads.

Also i do hope you know, that if you are in an accident that is your fault and your on a LP without a fully licensed driver and L plates your insurance can refuse to cover any fee's because you are driving illegally.

Also you have 6 months before you can sit your test. Get a few lessons and do it. No excuses.

the man has his licence from 1986 ud think he dos especialy when he has the whole shabang of categories
    Did he tell you to be prepared to stop or did he tell you to coast?

Did he tell you to be prepared to stop or did he tell you to coast?

he taught me to drive after the lessons with the instructor nd he told me to coast to be prepared to stop so the engine dostn stall when you stop

he taught me to drive after the lessons with the instructor nd he told me to coast to be prepared to stop so the engine dostn stall when you stop
    I think he told you to always be prepared to stop and to dip the clutch just before you come to a halt. I don't think he told you to coast - I think you weren't listening to him properly in much the same way as you're not listening to us now. Go check with him, let us know.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Stalling is the least of your concerns in an emergency stop.

Also being in gear will slow you down when you release the accelerator, coasting will not.

You should not be coasting. Ever. Only in the split seconds between gear shifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

loobylou wrote: »
    I don't agree with you but I was not even suggesting that the state should pay for it.
    Transition year students do a lot of extra curricular activities for which they pay extra. It should not be difficult to get an instructor to visit a school for a daily rate, divided up by the number of students.There would be substantial economies of scale for the instructor making it viable.
    Study for the theory test could be incorporated into CSPE for the Junior Cert.
    Practical driving lessons could be given if needed with 2-3 students in the car at a time, swapping driving time of course.
    The problem with the present system is the students cannot get their LP until they are at least 17.
    By then transition year is usually over and there would not be time to fit the above into a Leaving Certificate syllabus.
    Stark wrote: »
    Is there some reason why someone can't take lessons from an instructor on their own time when they want to learn to drive? It's the Irish entitlement mentality of wanting the State to do everything for them, I'm surprised we don't have them bringing in people to teach people how to wipe their own arses.
    loobylou is spot on with this.

There is a lot of complete sh1t in transition year that serves little or no purpose in the futures of the pupils.
    Whereas, I'm sure about 80% of them are going to be looking to drive before they're 20, so why not have them somewhat prepared for that as opposed to letting them go on school tours and other complete bullsh1t that serves no purpose to their futures?

If people have an objection about it being in the 5th/6th year syllabus (tbh, CSPE could be totally scrapped for Drivers Ed in my opinion), then let it be taught in transition year where they do sweet f all productive stuff all year anyways.

I cannot see a single hint of a negative to that suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

You're not yet ready to drive unaccompanied.

Anan1 is 100% right. You avoid coasting at all costs... especially at major points on the road such as roundabouts or junctions.
    If you've done your test you would know this because you're not in control of the car.

You DO realise that, if you were forced into an emergency brake... cutting out is the least of your worries, right?

Even so, you can jam on the brakes and still have about a second and half to press the clutch to avoid cutting out.

Regardless of all of that, do not take the word of a man who's last brush with the do's and don'ts of the driving system was 24 years ago.
    A lot of things have changed since then.

In my opinion, the majority of people who've full licences from the 80's would struggle to pass the current driving test first time.

You'd be amazed at how many awful and down right dangerous habits people develop over 24 years that are completely against the current driving test and you'll only realise this when you've passed the current test yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

yes i failed the test once on observation grounds last yr spent 700 euro on lessons before that i got the car as a present so i have some experience but i only got my own car last week

Am I the only one who thinks that statement is quite scary?

Around my neck of the woods, a lesson is an average of 35 quid. That means the OP has taken 20 lessons with a professional instructor (unless he's hired the postman to show him how) and has still managed to fail the driving test?

I took 8 lessons before my test, and I was by no means a great driver, but I managed to pass it.

You've taken more than double the amount of lessons and still can't manage it?

Then, you ask how coasting affects your control over your vehicle, and your listening to pub chat advice from your father about the subject?

My jesus, someone call the Traffic Corps now!

Oh, btw, meet Maureen...:D

mtw_maureen_150_150x180.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_School

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Jenna69

Mak_United wrote: »
    You practice with a fully licensed driver who has held there licence for over 2 years or with a qualified instructor.

Your posts are disgraceful. Your basically saying LEARNER drivers should be aloud drive on there own. Your lucky you live in Ireland because you wouldn't last very long in another country. The Garda are terrible at reinforcing the law of Learner drivers driving on there own and without L plates.

Also at your comment on sitting the test when your "good and ready" is a disgrace, too many drivers have the same problem in there heads. Passing your test is a way of letting the Garda etc know that your are competent to drive on our national roads.

Also i do hope you know, that if you are in an accident that is your fault and your on a LP without a fully licensed driver and L plates your insurance can refuse to cover any fee's because you are driving illegally.

Also you have 6 months before you can sit your test. Get a few lessons and do it. No excuses.

What i said in my post if you read it correctly (not my problem if you can't read properly) that i won't be able to do my test until at least October when the 6 months will be up, then if i feel ready i'll book my test, if i don't feel ready i won't do it but will do as many pretests as i can to get prepared for it and hopefully i will be.
    Also thanks for your concern but i checked with my insurance company and i'm covered whether i drive unaccompanied or not.

I've had lessons, what i need now is practice, practice and more practice.

And just because some people are afraid to drive unaccompanied don't look down your noses at those of us who do, if the guards started enforcing the law tomorrow i'm sure none of us would be doing it so if you want to start somewhere start with that. I drove the whole way down the ballymun road yesterday with a garda van behind me and they never even looked my way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

And just because some people are afraid to drive unaccompanied don't look down your noses at those of us who do, if the guards started enforcing the law tomorrow i'm sure none of us would be doing it so if you want to start somewhere start with that. I drove the whole way down the ballymun road yesterday with a garda van behind me and they never even looked my way.

Once again your attitude is terrible. So its o.k as long as you get away with it. Any other rules of the road or laws that don't suit you?

furtzy wrote: »
    Once again your attitude is terrible. So its o.k as long as you get away with it. Any other rules of the road or laws that don't suit you?

No just that one.:D

No, you need more lessons first. You can't practise the basics until you know them.
    Your incompetence endangers us more when you drive unaccompanied, I think we're perfectly entitled to point that out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

What i said in my post if you read it correctly (not my problem if you can't read properly) that i won't be able to do my test until at least October when the 6 months will be up, then if i feel ready i'll book my test, if i don't feel ready i won't do it but will do as many pretests as i can to get prepared for it and hopefully i will be.
    Also thanks for your concern but i checked with my insurance company and i'm covered whether i drive unaccompanied or not.

This is exactly why the guards need to get up off their ass and do something about learners. Until they do, and until learners know there will be severe penalties for driving unaccompanied, most of them, like our friend here, are going to continue to go about on their merry way. If the guards are not going to enforce the law then why bother with a driving test at all? Right now apparently the only thing it serves to do is change the color of your license...

Jenna, people are going to look down their noses at you because what you are doing is irresponsible and dangerous. 120 odd posts into this thread and you still dont seem to have fully grasped why learners drivers should not be on the road without supervision. Even if you went back and read some of your own posts about your motoring experiences it might click with you why you shouldnt be out on your own in a car. We cant stop you from driving on your own, all we can do is hope that if you do get into a pickle that you dont end up hurting someone, but please stop making excuses and trying to justify it; what you doing is dangerous, its wrong and its illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

No just that one.:D

do you even have l plates up?

djimi wrote: »
    This is exactly why the guards need to get up off their ass and do something about learners. Until they do, and until learners know there will be severe penalties for driving unaccompanied, most of them, like our friend here, are going to continue to go about on their merry way. If the guards are not going to enforce the law then why bother with a driving test at all? Right now apparently the only thing it serves to do is change the color of your license...

Jenna, people are going to look down their noses at you because what you are doing is irresponsible and dangerous. 120 odd posts into this thread and you still dont seem to have fully grasped why learners drivers should not be on the road without supervision. Even if you went back and read some of your own posts about your motoring experiences it might click with you why you shouldnt be out on your own in a car. We cant stop you from driving on your own, all we can do is hope that if you do get into a pickle that you dont end up hurting someone, but please stop making excuses and trying to justify it; what you doing is dangerous, its wrong and its illegal.

I don't make any excuses for what i'm doing and i know for sure i'm not the only one that drives unaccompanied, but i don't blame anyone else not posting that here the way everyone jumped down my neck for admitting it. I need the car to get to work and as i said until the guards start doing their job or until i get my full licence i'll keep doing it.

do you even have l plates up?

Yes i have my L plates up, i'm fully insured, taxed and NCT'd. Anything else?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please let us know what other law you'll decide to break.
    How about red lights, stop signs, pedestrian crossings?

• Advertisement

I don't make any excuses for what i'm doing and i know for sure i'm not the only one that drives unaccompanied, but i don't blame anyone else not posting that here the way everyone jumped down my neck for admitting it. I need the car to get to work and as i said until the guards start doing their job or until i get my full licence i'll keep doing it.
    Fine, just don't come here whining when you get caught/hit someone and find yourself paying through the nose for insurance for the next five years.

Advertisement