Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

has anyone been done for driving alone on lp ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Jenna69 wrote: »
    I don't make any excuses for what i'm doing and i know for sure i'm not the only one that drives unaccompanied, but i don't blame anyone else not posting that here the way everyone jumped down my neck for admitting it. I need the car to get to work and as i said until the guards start doing their job or until i get my full licence i'll keep doing it.

I dont care what you need your car for; as it stands you do not have a legal right to drive a car on your own and just because its an inconvenience for you not to have one does not mean that you can put the safety of other road users in jeopardy and just drive around as you wish.

This conversation is pointless anyway; youre not going to understand what were saying so its time to bail out. I only hope that the next time you mistake your brake for the throttle I dont have to read about it on the news...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Jenna69

And none of ye were ever learner drivers. Born knowing how to drive competently!

You're right it's time to bail alright, i'll continue to drive and you continue being moral and law abiding and i'm sure we'll all get on grand.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

And none of ye were ever learner drivers. Born knowing how to drive competently!
    We learned how to drive competently.
    You're right it's time to bail alright, i'll continue to drive and you continue being moral and law abiding and i'm sure we'll all get on grand.;)
    I think we'll get on grand, I think you'll probably be involved in an accident shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I didn't drive unaccompanied on a LP, not once.
    And it took me long enough to learn :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Hopefully karma will sort this out and she gets hit by the other people who choose to ignore the law i.e an uninsured driver

• Advertisement

furtzy wrote: »
    Hopefully karma will sort this out and she gets hit by the other people who choose to ignore the law i.e an uninsured driver

Are you saying you want me to get hit by another car? Have you read the rules of this board?

Are you saying you want me to get hit by another car? Have you read the rules of this board?

I am....and you've some cheek to talk about rules

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

have you?
    Charter wrote:
    Posts that encourage drivers to break the law e.g. telling people to make false motor tax declarations may result in either an infraction or a banning.
    Similar punishment will be awarded to those who request such advice.

you are telling people you intend to break the law and that it's ok, because it's a bit inconvenient otherwise.

Ha ha you give out about me breaking the rules by driving unaccompanied but you break the rules by using threatening behaviour on this board. You can't have it every way.

Where are the mods when you want them.

Big difference between an internet forum and disregarding the law.....press the report post button if you wish. Hopefully you get pulled over, fined and made walk home

I see you are 40 years old. I would have thought you would have some sense and regard for the law at your age. In my "offending" post I merely pointed out that I hoped karma would catch up with you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

I did a bit of driving instruction a few years ago. I found one particular type of pupil who simply could not be taught to drive.

Oh they'd learn which was the accelerator and which was the brake, sure, and with a bit of
    practice and practice
    they would soon be able to propel the car without stalling regularly, and learn what a red traffic light meant.

But the one mistake they made, which influenced everything, was that they would not LISTEN. In their mind, they were there to practice using the pedals, and manoeuvre left and right, and reverse, and my presence there was purely a legal requirement. Any insight I might offer about positioning, reading the road ahead, correct gears, observation, care and consideration, was all an irrelevance.

We see this every day in traffic, cars badly positioned at lights blocking others, getting in the wrong lane, indicating, braking or manoeuvring too late, cutting others up, and generally causing undue delay and frustration to everyone else. In many if not most cases, it is unaccompanied learner drivers, who are PRACTICING, but not LEARNING.

Unfortunately, the PRIVELEGE of driving comes with RESPONSIBILITIES to others, but then the privelege of life comes with responsibilities to others too, and too many people think it is all about them and to hell with everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

You may be taking it a little far there, furtzy. Maybe dial it down a notch.

Where are the mods when you want them.

Hi Jenna, if you feel a post needs addressing by a mod, please feel free to report it and we'll look into it asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Ive read the whole thread and I cant get over the attitude of the two learners who feel its their right to drive without passing any sort of test and F**k you to those who have a problem with it.

The driving test in Ireland is basic stuff, stop, go, obeservation, re-actions, reversing around a corner, avoid some obstacles etc is about as complicated as it gets.

Some countries in the EU have a number of components of the test, daytime driving, adverse weather conditions (e.g. snow), night time driving which I think is a good idea.

@ Jenna69 you aleady failed the test once, you dont understand the concept of coasting.I havent seen you driving but I wouldnt want to share the road with you!

Your attitude is appalling to learning. Most drivers are constantly learning (even those with years of experience) with diffferent situations day in day out on the roads. You seem to think that you capable of driving even though the testing authority (RSA) says other wise.

Again @jenna69 I would have liked to see you attempt to drive in the conditions that effected the country in Dec 09/ Jan 2010 being honest. Black ice, slush and snow lead to a number of drivers losing traction and crashing into fixed obstacles and other road users.

The key to driving in these conditions is smooth car control, gentle braking, engine braking, smooth power delivery, cadence braking (in cars without ABS) steering into skids etc etc. I find it hard to imagine that a learner who hasnt mastered basic car control would be able to SAFELY cope with these conditions and remain in control of their car.

My last point that might make you see sense is that I was actually involved in an accident with a learner driver (driving unaccompanied) a few years back (I was rear ended) 4 cars, 2 of which were written off and 3 people injured. I ended up having sugery just this year and have had to endure 3 years of physio. Couldnt play sport for the last number of years, the set backs, the disappointment, the pain of having to deal with an injury through no fault of my own. Just because some learner thought they could drive when in reality they couldnt. No one plans in being an accident.

Who do you think you are? risking my safety and those of other road users just because you "think" you can drive?

You say you've read the whole thread but you couldn't have because i only got my Learner Permit in April (this year!) so i couldn't have failed my test once already because i have to wait 6 months so it will be at least October before i do my test.:p:p:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Jenna your a bit of a moron.

That is all really.

I've read most of it, back in the day (1999) I drove on my first provisional unaccompanied once I felt able for it. Most of us did and I would think most of the posters in this thread did too. However, now it appears it's being clamped down on. One of the folks posting in this thread posted that he was powersliding about in his BMW last winter on the way to work. ffs talk about double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

RoverJames wrote: »
    One of the folks posting in this thread posted that he was powersliding about in his BMW last winter on the way to work. ffs talk about double standards.

on a private road in a private estate; so there! so nothing remotely illegal about it

I'm sure I could trawl back through your post history and find something dodgy you've done too, but I'm not that ****ing petty

I didn't need to trawl through your post history, it just struck me as completely retarded at the time and I seem to remember it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Mak_United wrote: »
    Jenna your a bit of a moron.

That is all really.

Banned for personal abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

jenna what are ya goin to do when a child walks out in front of you and you mistake the brake for the accelerator again, wheres your cautious driving going to get you then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Jenna, cop on. Seriously.

Your attitude is absolutely terrible. You should not be driving by yourself. You're forty for gods sake. Find a fully licenced person to come with you and LISTEN to what they tell you. Don't assume you know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

guil wrote: »
    jenna what are ya goin to do when a child walks out in front of you and you mistake the brake for the accelerator again, wheres your cautious driving going to get you then
    She'd probably just keep on driving and blaming the kid and it wasn't her fault so it's not her problem

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sure who cares about the child when the car is so convenient for the shops and the school and that, you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Also thanks for your concern but i checked with my insurance company and i'm covered whether i drive unaccompanied or .

I'd get that in writing because you are driving a car around without a licence.

RoverJames wrote: »
    I've read most of it, back in the day (1999) I drove on my first provisional unaccompanied once I felt able for it. Most of us did and I would think most of the posters in this thread did too. However, now it appears it's being clamped down on. One of the folks posting in this thread posted that he was powersliding about in his BMW last winter on the way to work. ffs talk about double standards.

The differemce is the way the law is now though, a learners permit is not a licence. So where the old provisional got you a slap on the wrist you are now driving without a licence.

If your going to drive on a Learners permit on your own , why bother with the delay of getting the permit seeing as it's the same as just getting in the car at 17 and driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I spent a couple of years Instructing and the amount of people who drive on their
    permits is staggering. I had one student who was stopped by the guards at checkpoints three times during the period in which I was giving him lessons and no action taken against him. The law is not being enforced, mainly I think because the proposed fine is so high (minimum of €1,000 apparently). I imagine, and this is just my speculation, that many guards would baulk at the idea of fining a (probably) young person in a (probably) low value car €1,000 .

In my opinion driving unaccompanied on a learner permit is driving without a licence, and should be punished accordingly. Essentially the learner is driving without a licence, as they have not demonstrated that they can drive to the required standard.

Until this is done many people will continue to chance their arm at driving on their permit to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Listen, Jenna's clearly not going to take anything said here seriously.

She's been driving a wet week, conking out on roundabouts, mashing the brake pedal instead of the accelerator... BUT... BUT... she's very cautious... probably more cautious than the rest of us people who are actually qualified and entitled to drive on the roads and we're the ones more likely to run into HER than the other way around... (so she says).

The rules have changed - it's not a minor slap on the wrist offence anymore.
    The same scenario as when the rules enforced wearing of a seatbelt. Sure there were (and still are) idiots who refuse to wear them because they don't like being told what to do... but they're the ones putting themselves at more risk, safety wise and also if a Garda pulls them over they'll give them points.

The only downside to this situation is that, while Jenna fully thinks she's gods gift to driving, she's putting everyone else at risk on the road.
    I couldn't care less if she got into an accident based on her over confidence and disregard for the rules, it's the poor suckers that are sharing the road with her that I feel sorry for.

And don't say "I didn't say I was a brilliant driver" in regards my gods gift comment, because, the only way I could accept you driving unaccompanied on a learners permit would be if you were a young world champion rally driver that is waiting for the 6 months to lapse before they apply for their test... but I somehow doubt that's the case.
    You're probably a very average, inexperienced and cocky driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Its funny, the only time I was ever on the road with my provisional was in an instructors car on a lesson. I didnt even own my own car at the time. So it is possible to pass your test without doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Its funny, the only time I was ever on the road with my provisional was in an instructors car on a lesson. I didnt even own my own car at the time. So it is possible to pass your test without doing it.

Same, ten lessons, about thirty hours with my dad in his car and 2 2hr pre-tests with a good instructor and I passed 1st time at 17 in Raheny. Its more than possible to do.

And you know, I think I only really started to learn after I had my test :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I never claimed to be a great driver, i said i was probably more careful than the next person but how am i meant to get that experience and skill if i dont drive. I need to practice and practice if i'm to pass my test. Like i said just give us a chance. Also if LP drivers are not bothered about driving alone why should you be bothered.

I'm bothered because of drivers like you apparently are! It's people like you that CAUSE accidents!

Why can you not drive with an ADI or an experienced driver like the rest of us?? When I learned, I went out accompanied by my INSTRUCTOR. There is a reason for this. The instructor can take corrective action if he needs to! Certainly in London, you couldn't do half of the rubbish I see here - Your feet wouldn't touch! There would be a ban BEFORE you got your licence and you'd be made to take an extended test as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Same, ten lessons, about thirty hours with my dad in his car and 2 2hr pre-tests with a good instructor and I passed 1st time at 17 in Raheny. Its more than possible to do.

And you know, I think I only really started to learn after I had my test :D

THAT'S how a guy should prepare for his test! And yes it's true - you really learn to drive after you've passed your test....

Advertisement