Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

has anyone been done for driving alone on lp ?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Anan1 wrote: »
    So basically the State pays for people to learn to drive? No thanks - there are a million areas in education that i'm happy to fund, but learning to drive isn't one of them.

And I bet you give out about the death toll :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

RoverJames wrote: »
    I've read most of it, back in the day (1999) I drove on my first provisional unaccompanied once I felt able for it. Most of us did and I would think most of the posters in this thread did too. However, now it appears it's being clamped down on. One of the folks posting in this thread posted that he was powersliding about in his BMW last winter on the way to work. ffs talk about double standards.

Isn't that a similar attitude to Jenna's?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

JayEnnis wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

WHAT !

you mean i have to pay a toll when i die ?

DAMN YOU EFLOW !

What are you talking about?

Learning to drive should at least be subsidized by the state. Look at the mess we have on our hands now with such a high attrition rate on the roads. Learning to drive in Ireland is a fundamental. If you don't have a car you can't go anywhere. Its not as if we have a great public transport system or anything.

So what I'm saying is that I bet you're one of the people who will give out about the death toll but when push comes to shove and their taxes are going to help lower it they say they don't want their taxes to pay for a solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

To all the learner drivers on this thread who are thinking of driving unaccompanied :

I seriously hope the next time you drive you run into a garda checkpoint and that the garda there is in a really bad mood and you get the fine of 1000 euro and penalty points. I will be delighted then.

And yet we whine about the price of insurance?? Could be something to do with idiots driving alone when clearly the haven't the minimum level of competence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Its funny, the only time I was ever on the road with my provisional was in an instructors car on a lesson. I didnt even own my own car at the time. So it is possible to pass your test without doing it.

Me too. I only ever drove with an instructor. I never got a lesson from any family members. I passed first time.

I think it's a much better way of doing it.

Learning to drive should at least be subsidized by the state. Look at the mess we have on our hands now with such a high attrition rate on the roads. Learning to drive in Ireland is a fundamental. If you don't have a car you can't go anywhere. Its not as if we have a great public transport system or anything.
    IMO, learning to drive is a luxury. If you can't afford it then don't drive.
    So what I'm saying is that I bet you're one of the people who will give out about the death toll but when push comes to shove and their taxes are going to help lower it they say they don't want their taxes to pay for a solution.
    I don't give out about the death toll which, incidentally, has been falling for a while. I do give out about driving standards, but the solution to that is enforcement, not state subsidised driving lessons.

IMO, learning to drive is a luxury. If you can't afford it then don't drive.

I don't give out about the death toll which, incidentally, has been falling for a while. I do give out about driving standards, but the solution to that is enforcement, not state subsidised driving lessons.

Ok lets change the situation.

Would you be in favour tosubsidize lessons for pensioners living out in the country with no form of transport? If I didn't have a car I would be stuck out in the middle of nowhere all week as my parents leave for work at 6. Also I have my full license so I'm not just saying this because I'm on an LP.

And you say you don't give out about the death toll? Although its falling I'm sure you wouldn't mind if it dropped drastically as more young people learned to drive properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Learning to drive should at least be subsidized by the state.

madness - driving is not a right, its a privilege. It shouldn't be subsidized by our already bankrupt state finances.

• Advertisement

Ok lets change the situation.

Would you be in favour tosubsidize lessons for pensioners living out in the country with no form of transport? If I didn't have a car I would be stuck out in the middle of nowhere all week as my parents leave for work at 6. Also I have my full license so I'm not just saying this because I'm on an LP.
    No, I wouldn't. Why should the State pay because someone decides that they want to live in the middle of nowhere?
    And you say you don't give out about the death toll? Although its falling I'm sure you wouldn't mind if it dropped drastically as more young people learned to drive properly.
    People have to pass the test now. The only change would be that the State would pay for lessons, rather than the drivers themselves.

No, I wouldn't. Why should the State pay because someone decides that they want to live in the middle of nowhere?

People have to pass the test now. The only change would be that the State would pay for lessons, rather than the drivers themselves.

Not everyone can afford to live in towns? And then there's council houses that are in the countryside. Not everyone chooses to live there. Until there's a good enough transport system I think its the governments responsibility to ensure everyone can travel. Its been done in the states and isn't at all that expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not everyone can afford to live in towns? And then there's council houses that are in the countryside. Not everyone chooses to live there. Until there's a good enough transport system I think its the governments responsibility to ensure everyone can travel. Its been done in the states and isn't at all that expensive.

Every country has rural areas, yet people in other countries manage.

There are far more important things for the state to spend what little money it has on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭ferguson

laser2121 wrote: »
    hey i only got my car last week nd i drive alone on lp but not long distance just 3-4 km eg work school in sept u know nd i want to know has anione on boards been done for it ??? :D
    I don't know if these or these are on boards but they have been done for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭ferguson

I've read most of it, back in the day (1999) I drove on my first provisional unaccompanied once I felt able for it. Most of us did and I would think most of the posters in this thread did too. However, now it appears it's being clamped down on. One of the folks posting in this thread posted that he was powersliding about in his BMW last winter on the way to work. ffs talk about double standards.
    well spotted. the words kettle, pot and black a*** come to mind for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Maybe Jenna and all the other guys who think it's OK to drive on a permit unaccompanied should also read this....

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/pain-of-husbands-death-is-neverending-for-me-2152338.html

Sobering reading.

Maybe Jenna and all the other guys who thinks it's OK to drive on a permit unaccompanied should also read this....

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/pain-of-husbands-death-is-neverending-for-me-2152338.html

Sobering reading.

Your point?

That could have been anyone, drink or fatigued driving isn't restricted to learners so I fail to see where you are going with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Your point?

That could have been anyone, drink or fatigued driving isn't restricted to learners so I fail to see where you are going with this.

Well - if you don't know, then I'm not about to enlighten you....

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Dont you know that history began on the 30th of October 2007. Anyone who drove unaccompanied on their provisional licence 1 & 3 before then (which was nearly everyone i would say) were just fine. They could drive away without passing your test with hardly any hassle. I would imagine that few of the boards members who passed their test before this date did it without driving unaccompanied on their provisional. I know there are some but very few id say.

Three years isnt that long ago and most people gladly got away it and are now the main critics of learner drivers doing it. Interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭skinnie

I've been reading this thread, and thought I'd just butt in with a personal experience. I was one of those people who drove unaccompanied on a LP, provisional license as it was at the time. I thought it was grand to do so, and it was (slightly) legal at the time, and after a few, about 5 or so, driving lessons, it would be grand to drive on my own to work every day.
    The trip was about a 40km trip half country roads. about 2 months into my commute, long after I'd left the few lessons behind, I was driving to work one morning, it was a slightly misty morning (which I had encountered a couple of times), and approaching a 80 degree bend in the road, a driver coming the opposite direction had kinda cut the corner heading towards me.
    Being inexperienced as I was, I hit the brakes hard (fear, and inexperience) and skidded slightly into the raised ditch that was there on my side. Although I wasn't even travelling at much speed due to the bend, hitting the ditch caused my car to roll over onto it's roof, although quite slowly. Thankfully I wasn't hurt, and indeed I didin't drive on my own after that, although I thought beforehand that I "needed to drive to get to work" , I didn't until I had a few more lessons and passed my test.

Bit of a long post but just thought that the people on the learners permit driving on their own, even though you think you'll be grand, when you don't have experience and insight in situations, it can be dangerous for you and for others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

1 don't drive unaccompanied

2 its only 3-4 km, cycle or walk

3 if you do drive I hope you get caught

While I do fully acknoledge that it is illegal for someone to drive alone on a learner permit, I can't help thinking it's all very fine for people on here taking the higher moral ground, comfortable in the fact they have passed their test. For some people it is not possible to do the test due to a temporary lack of funds or sheer nervousness (I have first hand experience of the latter through a family member).

I think for a person to become skilled at driving, they have to practice relying on their own perception skills rather than the person in the passenger seat beside them. They build greater confidence this way and if some system could be introduced that controls their time on the roads I feel it would be the perfect solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Jenna69 wrote: »
    And just because some people are afraid to drive unaccompanied don't look down your noses at those of us who do, if the guards started enforcing the law tomorrow i'm sure none of us would be doing it so if you want to start somewhere start with that. I drove the whole way down the ballymun road yesterday with a garda van behind me and they never even looked my way.

So some people are "afraid" to drive unaccompanied !!!

Fools.... sure some people are afraid to drink and drive, drive without insurance, drive on bald tyres. Cowards, Sure its only illegal. AND DANGEROUS.

You have not demonstrated that you have even a basic level of competence to operate a car. (in fact you actually failed to demonstrate it).

Even you own posts on other threads point to the fact that you are not ready yet you insist that the law is wrong, your driving tester is wrong and we are all wrong....

And all based on the fact that you FEEL you are ready. Until you have a basic level of competence to drive (which all evidence points that you don't) you are a danger and menace on the roads.

You are breaking the law, violating the terms of your insurance and putting people lives in danger... Aren't you soooooooooooooooo brave....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Jenna69 wrote: »
    This type of statement really annoys me. Fit to be on the road with you:confused:????????????????? Who do you think you are:confused:?????????????????
    Anyone on a LP that i know (inlcuding myself) takes more care and caution on the roads because we are on a LP. And i only got my LP in April so it will be at least October before i can take my test so don't say get the test done, i will do my test when i feel ready to do it and not a second before. We all have to start somewhere so give us a chance! Like i said before full licence holders don't want LP holders on the road at all. Well tough!:p:p:p

Its amazing thats all you got from my previous post.

So you recon that your qualified and experienced enough but you dont feel ready to sit the test but are willing to go on a public road an risk other peoples safety cause your ignorant.

Correct you do have to start somewhere thats why you have the privilage of having a learner permit just to learn with restrictions its not a driving license.

I sincerly hope you are stopped at a check point in the near future and are prosecuted to the full extent of the law for breach of your learner permit restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Its amazing thats all you got from my previous post.

So you recon that your qualified and experienced enough but you dont feel ready to sit the test but are willing to go on a public road and risk other peoples safety cause your ignorant.

Correct you do have to start somewhere thats why you have the privilage of having a learner permit just to learn with restrictions its not a driving license.

Jenna, this is the key point here, regardless of the law even. Until you can prove otherwise by passing a test you are a danger to the safety of other road users as a learner by yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

VolvoMan wrote: »
    While I do fully acknoledge that it is illegal for someone to drive alone on a learner permit, I can't help thinking it's all very fine for people on here taking the higher moral ground, comfortable in the fact they have passed their test. For some people it is not possible to do the test due to a temporary lack of funds or sheer nervousness (I have first hand experience of the latter through a family member).

I think for a person to become skilled at driving, they have to practice relying on their own perception skills rather than the person in the passenger seat beside them. They build greater confidence this way and if some system could be introduced that controls their time on the roads I feel it would be the perfect solution.

maybe it is taking the moral high ground, but like many people I spent years and years getting lifts and taking buses because I could not afford to drive and then because I did not have a licence. Its a part of life and you just have to deal with it until you get a licence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

ferguson wrote: »
    well spotted. the words kettle, pot and black a*** come to mind for some reason

True, to a degree.

I drove unaccompanied but I passed my test first time with only a single minor.
    I knew exactly how to manipulate the car before I even contemplated going near a public road after pestering every fully licensed driver I knew to bring me to practice for hours on end in empty car parks at night.
    As in, I was completely comfortable with the clutch, the gears, the speed and my spatial awareness - which is something that some drivers (not just learners) are still hopeless at at any stage in their life.

I read everything I could about the rules of the road from websites and booklets and also asking friends/family who've recently passed their test (not parents, as they seem to have a different outlook on the rules..).

Anyways, no driving lessons taken, took 1 pre-test the day before the driving test and passed first time with 1 minor.
    I know other people in similar scenarios too.

You're constantly learning and if you're of the attitude that you're just as good as everyone else, you're not going to be learning anything.

Some people begin as terrible drivers with nervous dispositions and should never be allowed unaccompanied (even some AFTER they've had their full test are still too nervous) and some begin with a decent sense of driving and what to do and, provided they do their homework, will be a credit to themselves on the road once they're accompanied now of course.

But the rules are being clamped down on now and everyones got to abide by them - whether they like it or not.

As I said earlier, I'm sure we've all had a parent or uncle/aunt that refused to wear their seatbelt despite the rule changes for that... but eventually nearly everyone complied.
    It's for your own safety, as well as everyone elses safety.

However, I don't think it'll have a huge impact on road safety for another 15-20 years when the next generation of kids are the experienced drivers. But it'll be worth it.

Advertisement